• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Dual Battery ?

But the dual battery system is beyond well worth it! I'm not sure how different it will have to be for you, as I have it in my H2, look up the threads I started, and I have one on the install of the dual battery system brother!

SWANK3T

Talked to Ian over at overland bound about this this is what he did looks pretty good.

——- Dual battery, went with (barnes4wd.com) for the mount. works with 34/78 Optima batteries, and T-Max for the controller. Sweet setup for the lights and winch. A lot of research, H3’s are harder to mod then it’s sister Jeep.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 194
I carry a jump pack too, In case someone needs help, but if all goes well, I already ordered the adapting harness that connects to the secondary battery, and will run to the front grill area, to have an easy connection for tow truck style jumper cables right from the front, without needing to open the hood!

woodwardsh3

How old is your battery and are you still running the stock cable ends if so get rid of them, Have your battery load tested and the alternator tested to most auto parts stores will do this for free. Good luck

Halcyon00

Ya could be something simple as water not in the battery. Mine died and I just happened to check the water lvl and that was it. Brand new battery and had to add water -.-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deserth3

I remember some people were having problems with the onstar module drawing power after the truck was turned off. Unplug it.
But I agree, find the problem first.

Last edited:

rascole

Old battery, , bad connectors, alternator dying, phantom draw, etc. several things can cause a dead battery. Most likely culprit is the battery or connectors. The dual battery install is easy. Several detailed install threads with lots of pics. Here is the link to mine. Rascole's dual battery install.

Billy

Never found drain , instead i parked her. kyle says it's a big problem also about the cliking can be any where.

4speedfunk

I just gutted and bypassed a dual battery system. It was comprised of (2) Optima yellow top (deep cycle) batteries and an electronic current sensing solenoid dohinky that would constantly click on & off. It also had an electronic controller which did nothing but confuse the hell out of me. It would beep constantly and had lots of shiny red, yellow, and green lights that probably meant something to the inventor (and meant nothing to customers). I finally got bored staring at the meaningless lights and gave up on it...went back to to a single DEKA battery to see if it would cure the strange symptoms the truck is exhibiting. Test drive tomorrow.

For the record...I've winched for hours and hours and hours on a single Delco battery with zero issues. The winch itself will overheat and shut-off long before you run out of battery.

Last edited:
My dual battery system works great, and I will always keep it, worth every penny. I have helped countless people because of it.

Last edited:

rascole

If you have a multimeter you can pull each fuse individually, put the mutimeter in series where the fuse was and look for the amps and that is the drain.

06PullUouT

I've had my dual battery setup for about a year now and it has served me well. Total cost was around 300. I went with yellow tops but think that when they die I will be replacing them with AMGs. I use the TMAXX as a controller.

Hunner

"KISS", (no, not the band)
if you add all kinds of extra cables and "dohickies" to complicate the system you may be setting yourself up for failure, maybe not?

A simple two battery setup (or banks of multiple batteries) with maybe a manual selector switch you use your brain to control for circumstances that occur, works best for all the systems I have.

"Remember you may not always have your engine running when winching, I can recall a couple of times with my old Landcruiser with dual batteries saved me and others."
It's especially important when you may be alone. "just one more trail................"

Note the date of this posted setup and it is still working fine.
http://www.hummer4x4offroad.com/for...ual-batteries&highlight=dual+batteries+hunner