• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Replacement for h3

andyzed

My h3 is getting on 10 years old and I'm starting to think about replacing it and I don't see anything exactly like it..

If you had to, what would you buy and why?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zackcrum

I'd look into 4runners. They seem like a nice blend of mildly offroad capable and they are still gonna be nice for a daily drive. Not to mention the aftermarket supports them very well
9c87e86b8073f1575981d5754ea49ec4.jpg

SuperBuickGuy

Ford Raptor
Jeep Rubicon
Land Rover Defender (my first choice, actually)

if you're willing to do some work to make it offroad capable
Chevy Colorado

andyzed

Thanks for the responses.
The raptor is nice but a pickup doesn't work for me anymore.
I'll look at the 4 runners, but damn I would like to buy American ( I'm a holdout)
I was looking at the rubicon when I bought the hummer, my wife thought I was nuts because it cost more than the h3 but the windows cranked down, the door came off, and there were only two doors ( this was just before the 4door )

Jeep GC and the explorer came to mind, but when you see them you know they're not the same thing.

I'd like to stay under the 40K mark, but it's been a long time since I shopped for a new car.

andyzed

The Jeep Wrangler you mean right? I think the Grand cherokeee is unibody.

I did a quick search on the 4Runner, I guess you get a lot for the money there.

I'm just at a point where things are breaking and I have to decide to throw money at the hummer which I love, or get something else which I'll probably learn to love.

Thanks again for the responses, my wife is useless for these kinds of decisions.

4speedfunk

1970 Suburban...Dana 60 front on 3-link with coils...14Bff rear on leafs...3.73 gears...35" tires. Cummins 12v diesel...NV-4500...NP-205. Custom interior. Boom boom stereo. No computers. 23mpg.

attachment.php

Build cost....$32K (half of a new one).
Cheap plates.
Cheap insurance.
Cheap maintenance (DIY).

I have totally had it with new cars...especially anything GM. Sorry...you asked.

Attachments

• Chevrolet-Suburban-Custom-1970-13B1B47012360114.jpeg
    Chevrolet-Suburban-Custom-1970-13B1B47012360114.jpeg
    273.2 KB · Views: 852
Last edited:

SuperBuickGuy

1970 Suburban...Dana 60 front on 3-link with coils...14Bff rear on leafs...3.73 gears...35" tires. Cummins 12v diesel...NV-4500...NP-205. Custom interior. Boom boom stereo. No computers. 23mpg.

attachment.php

Build cost....$32K (half of a new one).
Cheap plates.
Cheap insurance.
Cheap maintenance (DIY).

I have totally had it with new cars...especially anything GM. Sorry...you asked.

this makes a good point, that you can build what you want for a lot less money than the 40k up that it costs to replace it.

Also, there's a lot of H3s out there with very low miles

andyzed

Yeah or I can put considerably less money into mine. At least I know a lot of the issues that mine has.

I don't even think about it when my door locks mysteriously stop working.

Nice build 4speedfunk, and don't be sorry, that's why I asked here.

Another thing is I have a manual transmission and getting that these days is hard. Probably only the wrangler.

Thanks for the input, Andy

Cyouincourt007

Pavement Prince
Update yours ...swap rebuild etc.....or A H1, or an H2...or another H3....or the 4Runner I guess.....and of course 4speed and super do make great points but it doesn't have to be an either this or that....look at Buick......he builds this and that and this and that like a boss! You can get something else and then keep your 3 and redo it to your taste etc at your liking....I'm facing this same choice down the road obviously and I plan to keep the 3 and perhaps try for a 1 or a deuce etc. theirs all types of wheels out there and they all have they're merits and things not so good....heck an old school big square bronco would be beastly....it's all your taste and what you enjoy....your hard earned money and your hearts desire. check out one of 4speeds builds like the H3t he just did the lift on or one like superbuicks fj....and you'll see some Picasso art at work....heck a guy on here Casey slapped a diesel in his 3....pioneers paving the way for the rest of us I tell ya...ok my rant is over and after a 16hour shift and my delirious state I'm headed to the jacuzzi :cheers:

best of luck to ya Andy :thumbs:

SuperBuickGuy

It's certainly a challenge for me - I need a nice vehicle for my dd and for work; but my heart is into building/rebuilding old vehicles... with that said, my "next" at least from today's perspective is the 2016 Colorado with the diesel. It will need at least 33" tires on it. I like the fuel economy of a diesel (and the sound).

The 2016 Jeep Wrangler, is supposed to come with the 3.0 diesel as well - but my biggest issue with the Jeeps (and my wife drives a 2014) is they're really cheaply made

Conversely, I think the Land Rover is needlessly complex

I keep hoping that GM will hear our cries and come back with the Hummer - but from what I see, it'll be a larger sized vehicle ~ H2 size... which isn't my style.

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
If it wasn't going to be a hummer and I wanted something to wheel and drive around town. FJ cruiser or 4 runner. They meet the "luxury offroad" the closest to the hummer IMO

Land rovers aren't my cup of tea.
Jeeps are wayyyyyyy too common.
I'd love a pickup but It won't fit down most trails around here.
Xterras are nice, however 2016 will be their last model year.

SedonaBound

My Jeep experience, for what it's worth. I sold our 1st H3 (06 3.5) after seven years because I was concerned about the head, and after moving to 4500 ft, the 3.5 just didn't cut it like at sea level. Bought a decent YJ to build. It was taking too much time and $$ and seeing that it was a 60 MPH top speed 4-banger, I caved to JK fever and I bought a 2010 Rubicon with 10K miles on it. I've owned a lot of vehicles, but I was never so disappointed in one as I was with that $25K fossil. Yes, good on the trail, but the other 99.9% of the time it was a cheaply made anachronism with a ride like a Conestoga wagon, deafening noise, a soft top out of the Keystone Cops, and cargo room for a six pack and a bag of chips. In just four months, I'd had it with the "Jeep Thing". I traded the Rubicon for a low mile H3T Alpha and now life is back in alignment. :thumbs:

Last edited:

andyzed

I would love to build something, but I've already got a '67 frankenstang, and an '88 Saleen mustang in my garage. With the house and family I just need something I can get in and go, I can handle maintenance and most repair work but time is a precious commodity at this time in my life. I love the idea of a diesel in the 3, I was even looking at the GC with the diesel.

I guess it's hard to figure what I want for like the next 10 years. The next one after that will be cheap indeed because my kids will both be in college god willing.

Interesting thing about the altitude, we drove cross country a number of years ago and I knew about the air, but was shocked at the anemic response from the gas pedal while driving through the Rockies.

I thought of the Alpha also, but has anyone started having problems locating some factory parts lately?

It's like the end of an era with the 3

Last edited:

4speedfunk

So this morning...I try to start this Red T and go for a test drive. NOPE. Key stuck in the ignition. No way to release it. Batteries (dual) both good. I guess I just sit around and wait for it to mysteriously unlock itself.

Passlock. Another perfect example of why I will not buy another new GM vehicle. A truly pointless and annoying feature, just like 90% of them.

The ground-up Cummins Burban is looking better and better.

Ghostbuster

you know you want an alpha... so buy this one http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/629852793/overview/

You could probably talk them down to around $28k. Tell them about how parts are getting hard to find, how it looks like all 22k miles have been off road, and that it is a 6 year old vehicle and your not shelling out $32k for it. Oh and get a 10 year/100k mile powertrain warranty from them..

But seriously I think you could get that H3 for around $28k. Not a bad rig.

eta: check for leaking sunroof drains and probably deduct anoth $1k off the price.

Last edited:

andyzed

Jeeze I know it's an alpha and all, but that's more than I paid for mine brand new.

Think that warrantee would cover....... Front diff, half shafts, leaf spring, phantom electronic glitches, and a humming noise coming from the windshield at 60mph?

If so I'm in

Pappibri

Mine did. I got new shocks out of it, new leafs, upper and lower control arms, wheel bearings, head, radiator, alternator. Make the Service write up guy your friend, and show appreciation on occasion

Newc93

I would seriously consider the FJ Cruiser or the 4Runner. I drove an FJ for 6 years and I never had any problems with it other than the typical 16 year old being brave offroad. There is something about the FJ that gives it so much personality. The only drawbacks are that Toyota isn't going to make the FJ anymore and the half doors are very hard for people to climb in the back. The 4Runner is the same Prado chassis as the FJ, just bigger and more of an SUV than the FJ. The mod world is very friendly for both and helpful for both. The FJ is better offroad in stock form than the equivalent 4Runner simply because it is smaller and you would be hard pressed to find an FJ without rear lockers and ATRAC.

andyzed

Yeah, those are just the things that I warrantied myself. I'm not complaining about it ( well the leaf spring breaking is BS) , And if they still made them I would probably just get another one.

The 4 runner does look like the closest thing, and you get a lot as standard equipment. Kind of wish it wasn't the preferred ride of "jihadi joe with the Taliban grip" but that also says a lot for durability.