• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Ford Raptor?

USMC_315

I am currently in possession of the third hummer I've owned, all H2s, and once again I'm being let down with numerous problems that need fixing. Although the truck is still drivable, it is quite annoying to know that as soon as i fix this problem, another will arise shortly. I'm afraid to actually sit down and think about all the moneyI've poured into them altogether.

I feel that it might be time for a new rig, and this time actually a new vehicle. I've been hearing a lot about the new Ford Raptor and its offroad capabilities, I have never seen one perform anywhere but the city streets and was wondering if I could get opinions on it from those who have seen what it's really made of.

Thanks for all the help!!

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Capable rigs but they need a few mods (like a HUMMER) if you plan on doing any challenging rock crawling like we have out West/SW due to their width, wheelbase and clearance.

LagunaH1

If you haven't done so already, find a Ford Raptor forum and spend some time reading the threads. -Might give you some insight in to common issues and concerns

Pappibri

There are a couple of H3 owners that have the Raptor, hopefully one of them will chime in.... If I could afford it, I would own one. And also what LagunaH1 said. The best place to get honest information is from the forums....

Best4x4

My father inlaw owns a 2010 Supercab 6.2L V8 Raptor. He gets 13MPG tops, he's running larger M/T tires, and while he does take it off road I'd consider it mild. He hasn't had any mechanical issues except for a leaking transmission pan gasket and a rattling heat-shield which I fixed for him. The ride is great, and I've heard that if you get your PCM reflashed with 2012 firmware the 6.2L actually performs better with better MPG. The 2010 firmware was rushed for the 2010's from what I read and wasn't really tuned for the 6.2L vs 5.4L. He's got nearly 60K on it now and he's only had to replace the brake pads and of coarse he switched out the tires.

I'd own a Raptor myself, but I'd honestly go with a 2010 Supercab and the 5.4L. Slightly better MPG, still plenty of power, and no problem finding 5.4L parts. I don't personally care for the 4DR SuperCrew Raptor's. I just think a baja inspired rig shouldn't be a full 4 Door lol.

skeptic

Unless you are in a hurry, I'd wait. If you want a pick-up, don't need 4 doors, want something off-road capable, and are wiling to wait you might want to hold off and see if Chevy releases the Colorado ZR2.

Best4x4

ZR2 is a sweet looking rig, but OMG are those Colorado's $$$$$$$, you could grab a used Raptor someone drove on the street for a lot less no doubt!

skeptic

ZR2 is a sweet looking rig, but OMG are those Colorado's $$$$$$$, you could grab a used Raptor someone drove on the street for a lot less no doubt!
Well, he did mention he was looking to buy a "new" truck...

An interesting point though, new vehicles are ridiculously expensive. Someone is buying these things, but it sure isn't me. It would take a truly special and new or newly designed vehicle for me to even consider buying new. An SUV version of the Colorado ZR2, perhaps a Trailblazer ZR2, could possibly get me to buy my first "new" vehicle since I bought my ex-wife an '03 Pontiac Vibe.

Highatop

I remember wheelin w/ Fru w/ his last Spring in Moab. A lot of rear bumper bashin. He also fab a new rear bumper before he went and its a good thin he did. I think, he would be a good the to talk to also. Good luck

rsc

The rear bumper overhang is what stops my lusting over the Raptor. But then its the same for all the trucks with a bed hanging past the axle.

Best4x4

I've seen a lot of really nice Raptor parts being made here lately. If you got the ZR2 it would be a few years for the custom aftermarket stuff to catch up just like it did for the Raptor.

As far as $$$$$$, my father in law wanted a brand new rig, the Raptor he wanted with the options he picked was 65K!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He was depressed and said he'd just continue to drive his Mazda B2300 with 265K. I am extremely good at finding used/certified vehicles. It took me a month, but I ended up finding his 2010 Raptor that was used/certified with only 8K on it. It was listed at 52K, but after doing some dealing back and forth my father in law walked out with it for 42K. 8K on it, still under the factory warranty, still had the new car smell, and we didn't get the 6-10K added to the price for it being a "luxury/high demand vehicle" since it was used.

H

H3Ray

I feel your pain because my H3 is causing me so many problems.
Never forget any car or truck will always devalue and parts are so expensive and no longer made for Hummer.
Toyota Tundra is the best truck today and #1 in relibalility.
I say dump the h3 and buy a used mint V8 Tundra.
Toyota customer service is #1 ... Chevrolet dealers always had problems!
NO BRAINER !!!!!!!!

Good luck.

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Keep it up Ray. This is your one and only warning. Your next BS troll post will get you banned. I already deleted 2 of your posts tonight.

H

H3Ray

Keep it up Ray. This is your one and only warning. Your next BS troll post will get you banned. I already deleted 2 of your posts tonight.

Wow. So by simply responding to the OP that I think the Tundra is a better truck, I am now being harassed and threatened of being banned?

frumaker

in order to make the raptor a capable offroad rock crawling truck, you will need a lot of upgrades and a lot of money. I have owned a hummer and a raptor. I would stick with the hummer for offroading.

USMC_315

thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate the feedback. I'm not ready to give up just yet, but if this Hummer fails on me I may be on my way, I'm just trying to get knowledge on other offroad capable rigs, thanks again!!

USMC_315

I don't think Ray was trying to be a troll, cut him some slack he's probably just had bad experiences with the GM brand. I sure as heck know I had issues with the mercedes dealership way back when.