• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Re-installing the IC-7000

LagunaH1

Today I started the process of a proper, permanent install of my ICOM IC-7000 in the truck. For now, I have it hooked up just to a 2m/440 antenna. I'm deciding on what to do for HF.

ICOM sells a pretty neat external tuner and a whip antenna but especially the antenna is expensive. I already have a screwdriver HF antenna but I can't seem to find a good antenna controller.

Stay tuned for pics and updates.

LagunaH1

Update:
I settled on an SGC-237 tuner and an SG-303 whip antenna.
I also decided that I want an extra battery to run all my HAM gear off, and have a 100 AH deep cycle battery as well as a battery isolator on the way

Cyouincourt007

Pavement Prince
So you'll be going dual battery? I just picked up a dual battery rack for my 3 and plan on doing something like that down the road. Post pics when you get it going, it will be kewl to see the setup, thanks.

LagunaH1

The battery isolator arrived today:

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0584.jpg
    IMG_0584.jpg
    431.2 KB · Views: 476

LagunaH1

Went and got some anderson power poles, a crimping tool and some wiring today. I am now all set with the electrical bit's and pieces. Next, I'll have to start researching box / enclosure and cable management options.

LagunaH1

Removed the old and ran new 8 AWG wires from the main batteries to the location where I most likely will be placing the 3rd battery once the battery box arrives. -That'll be underneath one of the rear passenger seats but we'll see for sure once I get to installing the battery in its box etc

Last edited:

LagunaH1

Well, I guess I should've measured a bit better before I bought the battery box. As it turns out, it won't fit under the rear seats. For now, I have everything hooked up and the battery, battery isolator and wiring placed in the center platform.

I'm going to "suspend" the project for now so there's ample time for the truck to get serviced and a few odds and ends get fixed.

That sucks, you had made so much progress on the Ham radio separte power. I think I might end up doing something like you as well, when I pass my Ham radio license exam!

LagunaH1

Well, the "only" thing left, is to install the remote tuner and HF antenna. Everything else is up and running, albeit in a less than optimal location.

LagunaH1

So, tonight I got my new drill press assembled and put to good use making a bracket to mount the antenna base.

Next: Modify a metal case to hold the autotuner

Then: Put it all together

LagunaH1

Tonight' plan:

Fit the antenna base to the roof rack
Modify the metal case which will house the auto-tuner

If time permits:

Hook it all up!

Oh, and, once it's all hooked up I will add lots of pictures to the thread

LagunaH1

Got the antenna bracket, base and the antenna itself attached to the roof rack.

Next: Modify the metal case and hook everything up. -That'll probably be this weekend

LagunaH1

All done (for now at least)

The antenna is installed, the autotuner works great and my 2nd contact this morning was with a station on an island off Africa's northern coast. I'd say things are working!

Pictures to follow.

There will likely be a 2nd phase to this project but it'll involve building a case for both the HAM radios and that will take some time.

LagunaH1

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425849208.054284.jpgbattery box and battery isolator. This will be the focus of the 2nd phase of the project. I want to build an enclosure which will contain both radios and the battery isolator