• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Volant CAI 15753 for Colorado 5.3L

Best4x4

From all the research I could find it appears the Colorado & H3 Alpha share the exact same airbox config. I knew the OEM air tubes were the same along with the same filter. I just wasn't sure of the fender opening and lower box config. I tried to match the airbox lid, lower airbox assembly, and fender opening part numbers. The only P/N's I could find were for the fender opening sleve/seal and they matched.

I think I'm going to go for it and try it out. Unless anyone else has tried it and ran into issues?

I was going to just go with an AirDoc, but I like the tube config and the clean box design of the Volant.

amrg

From all the research I could find it appears the Colorado & H3 Alpha share the exact same airbox config. I knew the OEM air tubes were the same along with the same filter. I just wasn't sure of the fender opening and lower box config. I tried to match the airbox lid, lower airbox assembly, and fender opening part numbers. The only P/N's I could find were for the fender opening sleve/seal and they matched.

I think I'm going to go for it and try it out. Unless anyone else has tried it and ran into issues?

I was going to just go with an AirDoc, but I like the tube config and the clean box design of the Volant.
Good luck! Let us know of any improvements.

How much does it cost?

Best4x4

Found it for 240.00 and I "should" have it Christmas Eve! I went ahead and pulled the trigger when I found a pic of an Alpha with one.

Last edited:

Doc Olds

The reason Volant stopped making them is everybody ran into fittment issues. The V8 GMT355s and 345s air intake path is not identical, very close, but the 355s (Colly/Canyon) motor is mounted lower in relation to the fan cowl. So they fit H3s better than Colly/Canyons. The box looks fancy, doesn't do anything the OEM box doesn't except allow more heat in from the second opening. Best of luck.

Best4x4

From the pics some have a second opening and some don't. From all the info I found it's setup with the "optional" outlet for a snorkel. During normal use it's blocked off. Will just have to wait until 12/24/14 to find out lol.

Last edited:

Jeremy

I have the Volant air filter on my H3 and I love it. I have a K&N on my S10 ZR2 and I like the Volant better IMO.

Best4x4

I got the Volant CAI in today, and it would fit with some minor modifications, however the quality of this thing is pathetic. All the sunken in nuts for the airbox lid are at angles causing the lid to not really seal, the MAF threaded nuts molded into the air tube are also at funky angles leaving the gasket/MAF sitting at anything but flat. The lower optional snorkel port cap was extremely cheap, and thin, didn't really fit, and I doubt it would hold up to any kind of heat. I was so disappointed in the quality I boxed it up and will be returning it after the holidays.

I'm going to grab an AirDoc and modify the intake of my OEM lower air box. That was my original plan, but I wanted to see how the Volant was (had a friend with a really nice Volant setup in his Jeep), but the quality of this thing was just downright cheap!!!!

I also found a really interesting looking Jet 76101 Throttle Body for the 5.3L, but it won't do any good with the OEM air intake.