• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Power steering fluids

auggie mathis

I was checking my fluids yesterday and noticed a lime green (kinda foamy) fluid on top of the powersteering steering fluids that was in the resovore.
Any idea what this is and where it may of came from.

bebe

May have water in it - could be time to flush the system. Only use clear fluid - don't use red.

Hunner

I use the fluid from the dealership to make a paper trail while under warranty. You are set up for that down there.

Kurt

I'd flush it out with new fluid. I'm not sure what the OEM spec is for an H3, I use synthetic in my H1 to keep temperatures down, it's either clear [Lucas, or GM brand] or purple [Royal Purple Ez Max].

tomp

I use full syn Redline PS fluid in the H2 as the fluid is known to boil when crawling slow and doing lots of steering. Its best to flush the system completely and frequently, but I rather just use a vacuum canister and pull out as much as I can because a flush embarks on my laziness.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I used a turkey baster on Jerry S. truck when his pump was failing and burning up the fluid. We pulled out as much as we could, filled it up, ran it for a while and repeated it for a couple of days. That turkey baster has come in handy for a few trail/driveway repairs.

IndyHummers

I'll revive an old thread, sorry. Is the turkey baster method the best thing to do. I've been getting a groan from my steering and figured I'd just replace the fluid rather than just topping it off. Thanks.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Turkey baster probably isn't the best but it may be the easiest. You can get a lot out in one try and then do it a couple more times over the next days.

auggie mathis

Thanks for the input. I had the fluids tested and the green color was from the dye my dealer put in there last year when we were looking for a leak. I flushed it out and put in B&G synthetic fluids in it. Now its time to move on to my transmission thats slipping. Hope to tear it down this weekend