• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

TRACTION, FAILED, SERVICE , STAB SYS. Now What???? 09 H3

SGT-Wright

So here is what went down. Sunday driver headlight failed, Tuesday other headlight failed too then drove home with only fog-lights. Today on Thursday I replaced both headlights, and they work great. Problem is, When I started the vehicle the check engine light came up and the traction system failure message across the DIC. I checked the fuses, plugs, and anything else I could get my hands on. WTH is this a G.M. thing. ----Please Help---- I would hate to spend all my Christmas money at the Stealership...

K0PIR

I would clean and reattach the battery terminals and if you have the oem terminals you probably want to replace them. They are a known issue. Codes? Others will chime in. Good luck.

Last edited:

Happy Hummer

I will say pretty much the suggestion of cleaning up battery posts and replacement clamps is step one.
Of course it could also be a gremlin in that d@mn thing. Lol.
Chris

SGT-Wright

checked and cleaned battery posts and battery is good. Load tests at ~600 amps and starts up engine in like 2 sec. When I pulled the clamps and everything electronic reset it was hard starting the first time. Like the ECU forgot how to run. Would not idle until it was revved up for about 10 seconds. Now it starts up fine again like normal, but it still has the error. If I get a scanner and reset everything would that fix it? It is weird how this happened immediately after changing the headlights. Coincidence, maybe?

SGT-Wright

What is the best code scanner to use for a HUMMER other than the high price GM tech 2?
Does disconnecting the battery over night do anything different than only 10 min?

deserth3

I don't know if an overnight will clear the code. But most parts stored will read the code for you no charge

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

K0PIR

What is the best code scanner to use for a HUMMER other than the high price GM tech 2?
Does disconnecting the battery over night do anything different than only 10 min?

ScanGauge II or ScangaugeE are popular. I've heard of people doing the overnight thing, but I don't know if it really does any more good.

I actually had that problem in 2012 and it turned out to be my brake switch. If I remember right the brake switch caused my brake lights to burn out and that's how it got tracked down. Are your brake lights working? I haven't had the problem since.

Last edited:

SGT-Wright

Brake lights work, and all other lights work and function as normal. Now what? I guess it is up to the scanner results. Two of the auto-parts stores I went to, one was missing their scanner and the other was broke or dead. :( I will look again tomorrow.

Best4x4

If you want the PCM to completely loose it's fault codes you have to disconnect the battery completely touch the leads together off the battery, and turn on like the headlight switch. That will normally take any juice left out of the system and default the PCM back to it's presets. Then when you reconnect the battery it will have to do a relearn or drive cycle to set them again if it's that type of fault. If it comes right back on after startup then the problem you have is with a certain part, sensor, and it isn't sending any data to the PCM so the PCM instantly sets off a CEL or fault code.

digglesworth

these codes wont show up on a standard engine scanner. you need to find one that does abs and chassis codes and everything... i had this happen and found a member of my local 4wd club that had tbe snap-on scanner. a bunch of t-case codes. are any buttons on your 4x4 cluster sticking?

SGT-Wright

It switches through all three 4x4 modes with no issues. It drives around like normal without any noticeable changes. My stupid sunroof drains plugged a couple weeks ago and I had some water in the carpet behind the passenger seat. I vacuumed that all up and it has been dry for over a week. Hmmmmmmm

SGT-Wright

Both are still on. Would there be any problems or dangers of driving it around in that condition? Other than the little yellow engine light on and the DIC flashing the traction control failure, everything seems fine.

K0PIR

I think if you find an auto parts store they'll have a scan tool that will read what that CEL is about. I have a scangauge and it does a good job of reading the codes and clearing them. That will at least give you a starting point. That's what I would do anyway.

CaddyStrophic

I've had my "traction control failed" light come on before and it went off over time and never showed back up. I remember reading something online about the computer reading the front wheels spinning at a different rate of speed from each other, because of turning. It makes the computer think something is wrong, but after a while of normal driving, the warning just goes off. Please, anyone, correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:

SGT-Wright

OMG I am an idiot.... Good news is that I figured out what caused the CEL. Bad news is that I caused it! :shame:Found a place to scan my H3 and it showed codes for air intake temp bad and bad air intake flow. Well I looked under the hood and knew exactly where to look and found the plug on the intake plenum unplugged and hanging down between another cable hiding it. When I changed the headlight bulbs I pulled the top of the air box off to get a better reach, and for some reason (retarded or blind ) I did not plug the sensor back in. I looked in the engine compartment like ten times and did not notice it. Yeah... everything looks normal now and no blinking lights is dash. Thanks for everyone's help. :cheers: :woot:

Spiffydad3

Thanks Kopir - started experiencing this error today and each event began with stopping at an intersection. Wife and I just checked and the brake lights aren’t working. Will now track down the issue. Much appreciation for your sharing.