• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 to H2

ABNTROOP

HIPPO
So I've been hemming and hawing for a few weeks now about selling the 3 and getting a 2. I catch myself perusing sale ads constantly. Thoughts, advice? Years that are better than others? Stuff to watch out for? Packages available on the 2 and what to look for to spot them? TY!

High Five H2

I'd get an 08-09. They have a 6 speed and 6.2. The luxury package is mostly just chrome, from what I understand. I'm not sure if it's got a better stereo or what. A lot of people people like the off road package for the airbag suspension, I don't know what else it has though. They all have rear lockers. I dunno, I think the H2 is pretty well equipped luxury wise and off road wise to worry about packages.

Scarsman

Sponsor
Pre '06 had known issues with the side mirror folding motors going out. This was fixed with the new '06 style mirrors. You can tell them by the front of the mirrors. The older ones were a large plain chromed cap over the whole front of the mirror. The newer ones just have a chromestrip across them with the H2 logo.

The interior changed in '08. It lost the "boobie" :cheers: hvac vents, as they are known, and became a flatter more modern design. I personally like the pre '08 interior better. It is totally unique to the H2. Post just looks like every other truck out there imo.

Adventure package has rear air bag suspension with on board compressor. It auto levels to compensate for loads, and you can manually raise the rear like 4" on trails. It is a decent system, and looks great on paper. In reality though, if you blow a bag on a trail, or anywhere, your rear end just squats all the way down and you have no suspension. Most people convert them to coil springs once they stay having issues, as it is way cheaper than repairing the air system. Also, if you plan on lifting it, I believe you have to dump the air system and go to springs anyway. The on board air compressor is cool, but is not really anything special. You can get better performing 12v compressors.

'05 I believe was the start of the third row seat, and it was only one seat. I think in '08 it went to a full width two person seat. I'm not 100% certain on those years though.

'03 6.0 was 316 hp, '05 bumped it up to I think 325. '08 brought the 6.2 and 6 speed transmission, and I think 393 hp. Sadly, we never got the 400+ 6.2 that the Cadillac Escalade got. [emoji26]

One thing to check for are broken exhaust manifold bolts. Usually the rear on the drivers side I believe.

That's a start. I'm sure there will be lots more info coming. You would love the H2! Only real issue is gas, and if you plan to do trails in the NW, learn to fit with less than 1/4" to spare! And I'm not exaggerating. Ask h3slate!

Last edited:

Bananatank

I was thinking about this as well can i get some opinions on this h2?? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417844314.648448.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1417844322.079438.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1417844330.706874.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1417844336.745127.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1417844343.748127.jpg i am really tempted to negotiate with the dealer on this lifted h2 price is 22k but he said they would sell for 16k i wonder if hes be up for a trade and some cash but if so would yall trade for it? Not sure what package ribs has or anything or if it even has lockers idk where that switch is even located...?

Cajun_Tiger_Hummer

I've made the switch. I love my H2 and havn't looked back. I still miss my H3, b/c of all th work and money I put into it. If I would go H3, I would definitely get the Alpha H3T. The only thing I don't miss about my H3 is the dang 3.5l engine.

Last edited:

Bananatank

Yes i feel you about that 3.5 dilemma i also really want to lift my vehicle but the only one they have is the damn rancho for 2k atleast... And this ones already lifted very tempting

Zach

Mall Crawler
What Scarsman said.
To add, 03-04 had a weaker front diff. Most interior parts are hard to find and discontinued from GM.
Had a H3 as a rental for a month, loved it. Took it through mud and snow was hooked, I wanted a Hummer. We had a 06 3 on the lot and a 05 2 on the lot where I worked. For 2k difference, I chose the 2 and have never looked back. Best vehicle and most comfortable I've ever owned

5gn-h3t

I owned an '04 H2 and currently own an '03. The '08/'09 is nicer but they are usually much more expensive. Interior parts for the pre '08 are hard to find and expensive. If you do buy one, make sure the interior is nice, working, and has no cracked door or dash panels. The H2 rides very, very nice and has great seats. Better than an LTZ Tahoe/Suburban or an Escalade, IMHO. I don't know your intentions with the truck, but the H3 is easier to drive off-road and can make it down tighter trails. The H2 is really nice to drive on and off-road but is obviously harder to get into tight spaces. Fuel economy is also another downfall. Both the 6.0 and 6.2 are great engines.

All years had third row available. The '08+ had 2 third row seats and the '03 had a single third row seat. The '08 got a lot of upgrades. I wouldn't pay a lot for an '06/'07 when you can most likely get an '08 for about the same price. In addition to what others have mentioned, look for leaks from the marker lights (stains in the head liner). And make sure the transfer case shifts into all modes.

There really aren't many differences between the option packages. The H2 is nice at all trim levels.

I've had 5 H3's and I'm on my second H2. I've loved all of them for different reasons. If I had to pick 1 it would be a Solar Flare '08/'09 H2 SUT.

Good luck!

Last edited:

skeptic

The only things I really miss about my H3 is parking in tight spaces and ~5 mpg. Other than the typical things to look for like nav or 3rd row seat size or airbag suspension, I'd go for an '06+ for less mirror problems, 10 hp (starting in '05), and bumper mounted spare tire (I believe the change may have been mid-year '05). Otherwise I don't think there were too many big changes until '08. If you are willing to spend the money I personally think the '08/'09 is the way to go. Bigger engine with 70+ more hp, more gears for a slight mpg improvement, and less squeaks and rattles in the interior. When I was shopping the '08+ was 50% more than '07 or older and that just wasn't worth it to me.

Hans3T

Lif"T"ed
I have had my H3T for around 4 years now and this summer I decided to pull the trigger and add a deuce as well. They are very different beasts, and there are pros and cons to each. My search criteria consisted primarily of finding BONE STOCK, low-owner vehicles. I also set a budget of $15k. My deuce was a one owner '03 with the adventure package, 150k miles, bone stock. I know a lot of folks are weary of the air suspension, but I always liked the idea of it, so I decided to stick with it.

I paid well under my budget, and as much as I wanted an '08+ for the "wow" factor, I could not justify spending twice as much for a truck with just as many miles. My H2 has been issue free (so far), outside of my sunroof motor. I have to push it forward to close. Otherwise, I'm a happy camper. It is a lot of truck for the money.

If I were you, I would be wary of buying a lifted, modded truck unless you've got some history to go with it. I love my H3T, but if I were on the other side, I would not want to buy my truck as it sits now. I don't want someone else's "sloppy seconds", if that makes sense.

Good luck in your hunt. The H3 is a great truck, and you'll undoubtedly love the H2 as well.

Bananatank

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417974955.279299.jpg got another pic of it and done info has a 6 fab tech lift i think it said 40' interco tires, 123k miles, 20' rims the fender flare of course... I honestly. Don't know why they'd be willing to go to 16 for this deuce?

08SolarFlareH3

Super Swampers
It's a 2003 and it was for sale near me 6 months ago for $27,995.

FWIW the dealer is asking $15,000
http://mobile.dealercarsearch.com/V...033&Guid=689a795d-03b6-47a5-8afb-52435eb8a13b

I test drove it in June and there is a reason its so cheap and there is a reason the dealer near me got rid of it and the dealer after that got rid of it (been for sale at 3 different dealerships in 6 months). I advise anyone looking at it to stay away....far far away. It has a $6,000 Pro Charger, $3000 Fabtech Lift, and $2800 set of tires and there only asking $15,000....doesn't add up does it? For good reason

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 131
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 122
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

Bananatank

Wow you found it! You test drove it did it drive bad is that the reason you think? Or something else? Because the interior looks great so idk there's def something strange about it.

USMC_315

05 I believe was the start of the third row seat, and it was only one seat.

i have an 03, came with 1 rear seat. i'm not sure if it was an option or was standard. i didnt do too much looking around when i was in the market, love at first sight lol

Scarsman

Sponsor
It could just be that the ones we looked at just didn't have them. I think we looked at a '03 that didn't have the mounts in the floor.