• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

DARPA...Awesome and Scary

PreferredChassisFab

Yosemite Sam
An input-output system that's not strictly deterministic (as far as human perception goes) and develops its own motives/solutions. Also expands to encompass new challenges without reprogramming.

"A"rtificial "I"ntellegence is only as smart as the coder or coders developing it. Adaptive actions are possible due to learned or predictive conditions. Robotic self thought is not currently possible. Computing capabilities, power resources and sensors, among others, have a long way to go. Robotic systems are the new challenge for the independent thinkers/creators.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Not in our lifetime. The concept/theory is no where near reality at this point. AI is as real or unreal as zombies at this point.

PreferredChassisFab

Yosemite Sam
Robotic systems are going to continue to become a increasing prevalence in society. "AI" will continue to develop. But a Self Thought/Self Aware "AI" is as currently possible as Zombies.

abearden

AI at this point, as PreferredChassisFab pointed out, is learned pattern matching. Basically, some X-dimensional matrix of values/responses which gets filled in through a learning phase with human programmers telling the system the appropriate response. The computer then compares future input against this value matrix to determine the correct response. I don't know that I could honestly agree with the "not in our lifetime" statement though. There are people who were alive for the first heavier-than-air flight and then saw us land on the moon, develop computers, the Internet, nuclear fission, fusion, harness those for controlled power, etc. 50 years is a long time for technology; 100 years is an era. With some of the recent studies on the brain, we may approximate it within our lifetime.

Zombies exist, FYI. Just not in humans (that we know of). Ants, flies, and mice all have parasites that cause behavior take overs.

PreferredChassisFab

Yosemite Sam
From all of PCF's efforts in unmanned ground vehicles in the last10 years, true autonomous command and control is a challenging task. The industry is still in its infancy and is ever developing. The challenge is what leads to development and solutions. The new independent thinkers that were brought up in the Internet/computing age will surely bring about significant advancements.

Last edited: