• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Removing Chrome from Plastic (How To)

Steve #1

I did a little experiment as a proof of concept and have good news to report.

While searching the far corners of the Internet I found some information on chrome removal. One option I came across was to use Hydrochloric acid.

So I grabbed a bottle of muriatic acid (same thing as hydrochloric acid) out of the pool shed, found a scrap I cut out of the dash when I installed the PC, a few other ods and ends, and decided to do some experimenting.

3709930231_6aa783b6fb.jpg

Disclaimer: I am not posting this to tell you how to do this. I'm just posting what I did. Muriatic acid can be very dangerous and I'm no chemist.

I already had my safety glasses on when I took the pic. I mixed a solution of water/baking soda in one of my decapitated bleach bottles so it was ready to clean up any spilled acid and to use as a rinse. I then mixed a 3/1 solution of water/acid (adding the acid to the water because adding water to acid is dangerous) in my other topless bottle.

The sacrificial bit that had already had some chrome removal experimentation done to it with a rotary sander.

3710741076_1074fd5b5f.jpg

Then I stuck the piece in the acid and....... nothing happened. So I put it in a safe place and left it over night.

3710741242_573f220041.jpg

20 hours later.

3710741628_eb4b3c5b26_b.jpg

As I suspected, there was a layer of lacquer over the chrome that probably slowed the process, but it came right off when I rinsed in the baking soda. The plastic where the chrome was removed looked perfect.

I decided to give it another try but to first remove the protective coating with some acetone. It did work in removing the clear layer with a little bit of rubbing. A little more rubbing and the chrome started to go too. A little more and the plastic started to go (I was expecting this.) Removing the chrome this way left a slightly rough surface that would probably work fine as a base for painting.

So far that is what I have found. The whole reason for this is to determine the best way to de chrome a grill. I'm doing some repair work on the grill and may try some experimenting on it first but I'm not going to try to acid dip it myself. I'm going to find a chrome place that will do it. I'm expecting a cost of around $20. I'm thinking about doing the inside door handles and lock buttons too. If I go ahead with it I will do these myself.

This "How To" is only for PLASTIC. Keep muriatic acid away from aluminum it can be an explosive and toxic combination even if the solution in is a low %.

M22KLARS

Unsafe At Any Speed
Hey I remember this! Thanks for adding it here!

There were a couple pieces I was thinking about doing this to over the winter...

:cheers:

05Mudiak

nice find..As for the grill I was told by I think it was xoyxoxoxyxlxoyx (how ever you spell it) That a heat gun peels it off, he did say it took some time but it didn't mess up the plastic. But if this does work it would be alot easier to just put it in a tub of acid then rinse it off

Steve #1

The title does say "plastic", but somebody pointed out the aluminum bit when I first posted this so I figured it was worth adding.

D

Dennis

Does anyone know if the chromed ABS plastic (like the Grille) can be Re-chromed?..Mine has developed a bubble under the chrome...it either that or get a new one.

TIA

Hans3T

Lif"T"ed
Great info, Steve! Id be curious to see how it turns out on a whole grille, as I would like to repaint mine to match my body color.

[__--MUD--__]

Great info, Steve! Id be curious to see how it turns out on a whole grille, as I would like to repaint mine to match my body color.

Not sure on the 3T, but the grill on H2 is chrome plastic, but there is copper under it. This process will only remove the outer chrome. Look for a hard chrome shop (not decorative chrome) they can dip the parts and completely strip everything. I didn't have anyone local w/ a tank big enough to dip the entire piece. I had mine sandblasted. It wasn't the abrasion that removed the chrome though...it was the heat that bubbled up the chrome and copper.

JonBishop

H3 grille... Would it work? Then after the chrome comes off its black underneath? I tried sanding up the chrOme and painting it but the rocks from the freeway are knicking the paint and makes it so I have to repaint it..... This would help if it does work...

ArtHummer

Resurrecting this thread :dead:
I've seen allot of people here struggling with getting rid of their chrome parts and exchanging it on non-chrome ones.

Has anyone tried to remove chrome from the handles or grill with the Easy-Off Oven cleaner?
I've heard allot of people are very successful with it. The cane of this stuff cost about 5 bucks and could be a better solution time-wise and money-wise then getting a new parts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBDvlBbp3L8

images

Hunner

I scuffed up my chrome grill with a Scotchbrite pad and painted it with fine textured rustoleum on my 06 and it lasted 3 years with a few touch ups from bug strikes.
I did that on my 08 Alpha and it is still hanging on.

JonBishop

has anyone tired that easy-off stuff?, im about to redo my grill because of rocks hitting it so much, but dont know if itll be a good thing to do or not.... i jus want a permenant black grill for heavens sake!!! haha

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I went through the same **** your going through...after I sand blasted it I haven't touched it up again, It's about a year and a half. Before that I had to touch it up every few months lol

OIF Marinex3

Resurrecting this thread :dead:
I've seen allot of people here struggling with getting rid of their chrome parts and exchanging it on non-chrome ones.

Has anyone tried to remove chrome from the handles or grill with the Easy-Off Oven cleaner?
I've heard allot of people are very successful with it. The cane of this stuff cost about 5 bucks and could be a better solution time-wise and money-wise then getting a new parts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBDvlBbp3L8

images

I have an extra chrome grill and I will test out that method, I will let you know how it works

ArtHummer

I have an extra chrome grill and I will test out that method, I will let you know how it works

That would be great!!! :thumbs:

Also, if you can I found another method (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDpObLuJVeQ) and it is just plain bleach. But it seems that you have to soak it for about 3-4 days. Very time consuming and you will have to use A LOT of bleach to get it of the grill. But maybe it will be good for door handles and mirrors.

Let's hope that Easy-Off really works like some people say it is:fxd:. From what I learned you need to give it a very good coat of this stuff and let it sit for about 5 minutes and then try to brush it off with a brush (like toothbrush). It might take a few tries before it will come off completely. Just don't forget to put on gloves because this thing can burn you skin, and do it outside, this thing stinks.
Good luck and looking forward for the results!!!:corn:

ArtHummer

The problem with painting over the chrome is that every time the pint chips, the shiny chrome is sticking out. That makes little things look even bigger. I think the grill is made out if black plastic and if it will be possible to just strip the chrome of, you can leave it the way it is and never wary touch-up.

guruerror

I could have swore that I saw a thread on Elcova about using a heat gun to bubble-up the chrome, then it just peeled off with a little work with a putty knife. It was on an H2 grille...

EDIT: I found the thread...I'm not sure on the 'posting links to other forums rule' around here so I'll summarize: the verdict was that the heat gun worked, but was time consuming. Looks like a pressure washer ended up being a better solution...providing you already had a bit of the chrome up so the water could get under it.

Scuffing and painting should work fine for that fake chrome. When I had my grille Line-X, the shop simply scuffed it and sprayed...years later, still good.

Last edited:

Scarsman

Sponsor
The problem with painting over the chrome is that every time the pint chips, the shiny chrome is sticking out. That makes little things look even bigger. I think the grill is made out if black plastic and if it will be possible to just strip the chrome of, you can leave it the way it is and never wary touch-up.

Actually, the plastic is more white, or yellowish white.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk