• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

SoCal Event - Last Chance Canyon - November 28th, 2014

cbetts

NERD!!!
Last Chance Canyon again? Why yes! This is a good time for our new SoCal members to come out and play on the rocks. Owlxxx and myself will be leading through some new trails off of LCC and doing some sight seeing as well.

Description: Last Chance Canyon (LCC) is a fun trail with intermediate boulder crawling. We recommend trucks to have at least 33" tires and steps removed. Lockers and rock rails are helpful but not required. Most of the run will take place in the bottom of a canyon with one steep hill climb. This is a good trail for beginners to learn technical driving.

When
: November 28th, 2014

Where: Garlock, CA

Time: 10am we will be hitting the trails. We will be meeting around 9:30 to air down and a quick safety meeting. Expect a full day of trails so bring a lunch to eat while we wheel.

Meeting Spot: Trailhead on the south end of the canyon just off of Randsburg Road, 6 miles from Hwy 14. :link:

Trails: Last Chance Canyon

We will be heading north up Last Chance Canyon. Depending on the crowd, we will be taking different trails around the area.

Communications: CB channel 37

Weather: Temperatures have quite a range here. I recommend bringing a warm clothing in case it becomes a long night. Bring sunscreen and lots of water.

Confirmed Attendance:
[STRIKE]cbetts - H3[/STRIKE]
owlxxx - H3
[STRIKE]Brandon Banks - Jeep[/STRIKE]
JohnBishop - H3
Carrillo4x4 - Jeep XJ
Schwarttzy - H3
LagunaH1 - H1
Panzer07 - H3
Mb30sdl - ???
Li'l Serge - Ram Charger
JRWid - Jeep

Possible Attendance:
[STRIKE]Kyle - Avalanche[/STRIKE]
Fish - H2

Last edited:

poncho1965

We ran Golar Canyon today. We might consider this if folks want a challenge. I got strapped many times!

On another note, small plane went down in Garlock today. We assisted pulling two brush engines out of the soft sand.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Golar canyon? Im interested for the future. I wont make this one, will be doing an alternate prerun for possible future runs.

Fish

I always have too much family crap to do around thanksgiving, I won't make it.

We need to do an Anza Borrego run someday, it's scenic and fun..I'm not familiar with too many trails out there but there's always the off-road park for people who want to push it. Just putting it out there....

Zach

Mall Crawler

We need to do an Anza Borrego run someday, it's scenic and fun..I'm not familiar with too many trails out there but there's always the off-road park for people who want to push it. Just putting it out there....

Blow sand hill is fun and the shelf. We had fun there a few years ago. We made our way to the off road park, but have heard they have changed it a lot. Would be fun to see the changes

cbetts

NERD!!!

I know, we have been slackin' a bit. Now that my truck is back in operation, I am hoping my work schedule mellows out a bit to allow me to go pre-run some trails. I do not like leading a group into unfamiliar territory. Personally, I would love to tackle the trails we did back in April 2010 right after that big quake. I have some great memories!

Fish

Those were fun trails. I know of a bunch out there but they are nothing technical so most of you would get bored...they are scenic though

Fish

We could do a prerun sometime. I'll talk to a couple friends of mine that know that place like the back of their hand. We are planning our annual week long trip out there possibly for New Years or shortly after. If timing works you can meet us out there while we are camping.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    691.5 KB · Views: 171

Brandon Banks

Craig,

Let me know when ya want to prerun stuff...Prerunning/exploring can be more fun then dedicated trail runs :) Was actually one of my favorite parts of my Off Road racing days.

Brandon

cbetts

NERD!!!
Thanks Brandon! I may take you up on that. I need to start looking for some new stuff further south. Add more miles on you but if you are game, I will accept.

One trail that I have been longing to take again is Heart Break Ridge in Big Bear. Winter is coming quick so that may have to wait.

Fish

We need some new trails Mr. President and all the So. Cal Vice Presidents. I'll start asking around about places down here...I know they exist somewhere. Between Anza Borrego, Ocotillo Wells, and Superstition Mtn there has to be something for us...

poncho1965

I agree. Will volunteer to pre-run any trail in my area with Craig, Chris, Zach. Have thrown out ideas before to luke warm response. Totally understand the concern of not taking a pre run and ending up in areas not friendly for H2's or H1's. I do like a challenge but not everyone wants that. I have ideas, just ask [emoji2]

Mike

Zach

Mall Crawler
I'd like to get us back to run every month or two like we were doing before. Work got in the way before, now the pig needs a bunch of work. Unfortunately, right now I have other priorities that overpower the pig.

cbetts

NERD!!!
Life has got in the way for many of us. Personally, work and truck maintenance got the best of me this year. 2014 has been a rough year.

To be honest, I was actually getting a little burned out. It takes a lot of work planning and leading the runs. That includes watching the weather reports, keeping in touch with Ranger Stations, browsing other off road forums to make sure we don't impact another group (I have bad memories of John Bull still haunting me). I also make sure everyone on the trail is safe and keep an eye on everyone behind me. I miss the days when I would just follow the trail and could take in all the views.

Zach

Mall Crawler
Life has got in the way for many of us. Personally, work and truck maintenance got the best of me this year. 2014 has been a rough year.

To be honest, I was actually getting a little burned out. It takes a lot of work planning and leading the runs. That includes watching the weather reports, keeping in touch with Ranger Stations, browsing other off road forums to make sure we don't impact another group (I have bad memories of John Bull still haunting me). I also make sure everyone on the trail is safe and keep an eye on everyone behind me. I miss the days when I would just follow the trail and could take in all the views.

It does take a lot putting a run together, planning making sure everyone who says there going to be there shows up etc. the first one I ledwas the GM disaster. Was ready to give up after that. It does put a lot on you, especially when you decide to call an end to a run and get flack for it. With the safety of the group, we are responsible.

If we do decide to run some of the trails we've done before, cleghorn, 2N17X, and even GM, we need to prerun them. They have changed a lot since we ran them last

Fish

I think a mix of some technical runs and some more scenic mellow runs would be nice. I like a lil challenge now and then but I can't afford to beat up the Hummer too much. It's always nice to get outdoors and socialize without the risk of damage.