• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

CTIS on ice?

Halcyon00

Does the ctis help out on ice? Like improved traction with a wider tire when you air down to 20 or what ever you air down too when off roading

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
CTIS is used to remotely raise or lower your tire pressure to meet the needs of the surface you are on. I will let the guys up North give you the word on on ice tire pressure.

Halcyon00

CTIS is used to remotely raise or lower your tire pressure to meet the needs of the surface you are on. I will let the guys up North give you the word on on ice tire pressure.

Lol sounds bad. It doesn't ice often in New Orleans but last winter it shut the city down 3 times due to not having the equipment to de Ice the roads. It would be nice to be able to get around and I didn't know if ctis would help

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would think that lower tire pressure would help on ice but don't have that much experience with ice. I have spent most of my time in SoCal and central Texas so ice isn't much of an issue for me. CTIS would allow you to change your tire pressure in the warmth of your Hummer though. :)

Woodtick

Chains are used up north. They make a set made out of plastic/ nylon/ rubber. Then there is the track system you mount to each wheel,at the tune of 2500 a wheel. I will see if I can find a linc.

Halcyon00

Chains are used up north. They make a set made out of plastic/ nylon/ rubber. Then there is the track system you mount to each wheel,at the tune of 2500 a wheel. I will see if I can find a linc.

I actually looked into mattracks. They are nice but more around 20k a set lol. No thanks

Halcyon00

Ya saw them too but they looked like more hassle than they were worth. Way cheaper. But for something I might use a couple times a year, yhey will collect dust/rust other wise

Halcyon00

I wish we had tires from Norway. I picked up some guys from there and they told me about their winter tires. They have tires that come with spikes on them for driving in the winter and you can get a ticket for having summer tires on in the winter lol

Halcyon00

I like that site thou. Will be good to have a set of chains as a just in case. Like 4x4, better to have it and never use it than need it and not have it. Heh sounds like a pistol for personal protection lol

Woodtick

You can buy stud able snow tires in the us. Very common up north. Some DOT allow them. I think all you would need is the cheep cable ones. Keep in mind,you will be the only sure footed one out there. They will be sliding at you in all directions.:gaah:

Last edited:

Halcyon00

Ya I like that chain site. Will prob order a traction pair. I wouldn't worry about being the only one with traction cause they shut it all down a few months back and told ppl to stay home cause the emergency personal couldn't get any where

Halcyon00

i have aired down when stuck in ice and it didn't do $hit to get me unstuck, listen to the guys that said chains...

Dang lol. I will get a set. Might collect dust but that's ok!

abearden

Problem with ice is less pressure = less traction = more sliding. There's nothing to float over, or dig into, so decreased pressure won't do anything. Studded tires work because they put most of your vehicle weight on a very small surface area (the tungsten inserts), which causes it to dig in. Same with chains. If you have neither, just use the manufacturer's suggested pressure and hope for the best.

CTIS has nothing to do with it.