• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

FJ4overland

SuperBuickGuy

plug reading.... at first glance, I thought I had an oil fouled plug in hole number 2.... but no, that's not oil, that's simply carbon.

5 of the 8 plug were cracked, that plug - the fouled one - wasn't cracked... that means that 6 of 8 cylinders were misfiring, not firing at all, or having a low-voltage moment....

SuperBuickGuy

time to fix a couple issues....

so there's supposed to be a gasket under the handle - if not, paint chips... and it chipped, oil plug seal to the rescue

and these leak.... which I thought I fixed before with silicone... nope

gasket made

​​​​​​​

SuperBuickGuy

So after the last run, there were several issues that I simply need to get addressed. one was a persistent fuel smell, another the exhaust leak, the 02 sensor (again) is acting up, and I've always thought this thing gets terrible mileage for the set up...

I've not been a fan of the Holley replacement TBI, but it was what I had and my hope of a replacement either being found (I have one, somewhere) or found at a swap meet just wasn't happening so today I went to the wrecking yard, spent $40 on these

the issue with the holley (the biggest issue) is the way they hold the injectors in place. GM used a bunch of screws to hold them down, the Holley just uses the air cleaner hold down.... to say it's inadequate is an understatement. It's worse thing is it doesn't stay sealed - it will do a nice spray pattern for a bit, but it will dribble and drip.

I cleaned up the TBIs, picked what looked like the best (it's the newest) and slapped it on

and I think the IAC is sticking, but it runs again (more messing with tomorrow)

which brought me to an issue or two I didn't realize
the is the old base gasket.... I think it's been leaking

back side doesn't look bad but see how close the witness mark is to the hold-down bolt? one of the bolts has crud from where it's been leaking up the bolt.... vacuum leaks galore

which I was all ready to take the blame for until I saw this

Holley uses a larger butterfly, it's been hitting but what's worse is that would create a tortured path for air and fuel to flow into the motor..... and of course, vacuum leak, uncontrolled fuel entry and I am hoping that I've found the source of what's killing my O2 sensors.... we will see, first step is reconfigure the throttle cable the replace the IAC....

Mr_Rich

Interesting; I'm familiar with TBI engines since I've replaced three of the four that were installed in my '89 K1500 EC. One of the simpler computer controlled engines to work on and I get great gas mileage in mine.

Mr_Rich

I was mainly noticing the four barrel manifold with the TBI adapter. I don't think that would fly in Calif. otherwise I might try it. I have a Hypertech chip and headers on my engine and that does it for me. When I swapped in the fresh(er) engine five years ago the (stock) roller cam made a big difference too.

SuperBuickGuy

I was mainly noticing the four barrel manifold with the TBI adapter. I don't think that would fly in Calif. otherwise I might try it. I have a Hypertech chip and headers on my engine and that does it for me. When I swapped in the fresh(er) engine five years ago the (stock) roller cam made a big difference too.

it's a 1971 Land Cruiser - there is no emission check, even in Kalifornia.

SuperBuickGuy

so a bit of an update
first I need to fix the leaking spacer... of course, with no gaskets, this doesn't work so well

but, these came too...

so I installed them
​​​​​​​

JPaul

Interesting, so instead of running long breather tubes up to a high point, it just uses those? Where did you find them?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

SuperBuickGuy

so the base plate... I'd forgotten that it was a quadrajet, vortec intake so it didn't work, so time to fix... first, the problems

problems solved

only one of these gaskets worked, I had to make the other (mostly because I didn't want to spend another hour driving to and back the auto parts store)

it runs a lot better.... hopefully it'll also find some fuel economy
​​​​​​​

SuperBuickGuy

finished up

replaced the chip and o2 sensor last night. I have a 6A sitting on my shelf that I think I'll now replace the OEM controller chip with the MSD... it runs a lot better now, but multistrike should only helpfinished up

replaced the chip and o2 sensor last night. I have a 6A sitting on my shelf that I think I'll now replace the OEM controller chip with the MSD... it runs a lot better now, but multistrike should only help

SuperBuickGuy

checking clearances
IA2KzVP.jpg

like this clearance
SrxUrR3.jpg

fixed
ZlmXGiy.jpg

line up, clean up
eJtRk4T.jpg

weld up
7JS6hYV.jpg

and it fully turns
hWMrTKp.jpg

one of the big reasons for this effort is to get a better turning radius at full stuff.... once I get the parts for the high-steer cross shaft (probably Thursday), this bit is done then onto all the other stuff