• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

FJ4overland

Cyouincourt007

Pavement Prince
It's been too long sir. I stepped away and came back to see this amazing beast. Now I need to grab some popcorn and dive back many pages to pick up where i left off. Wow, this is f-in awesome. The level of detail and workmanship is something to behold. :woot:

SuperBuickGuy

so last night I took the '40 to an overland deal and had issues with it not wanting to restart.... so I removed one battery and at least one issue (a bit of corrosion on the disconnects)

wasn't the problem - this was - the reset button. Apparently it wasn't fully engaged...

​it was a weird issue - the display on the dash showed that it was charging, but testing at the jump station showed it wasn't...

SuperBuickGuy

thanks, I agree completely. When I put it on the ground after putting the wheels on - my thought was "that's the rig I had pictured in my head when I started"

SuperBuickGuy

yep :) once I'm done with fabrication. I'm going to change the panhard bar so that it is parallel with the axle and move the steering to an upper mount on the axle... putting the beadlocks - which are wider - made it far more difficult to drive. The right thing to do is put radials on it, but I never do the right thing - so I'm going to change the suspension a bit...

SuperBuickGuy

ever since I put the beadlocks on my '40, it's been a wandering beast. Part of the issue is it doesn't track the same in corners based upon steering input. Without going into the why, did the panhard bar the traditional way - where it parallels the steering arm. At the time of the build, I didn't think I had enough clearance to run the cross steer arm to a high-steer mount. Because of that both the steering cross shaft and the panhard bar are at quite an angle to the axle. This is the fix of that. A panhard bar should be parallel with the axle - unless there's a compelling reason not to. If it isn't, some call it bump steer (it's not) but you get steering that doesn't actually turn at the same angle when turning. It's especially annoying at highway speeds. Basically, the front end moves and either understeers or oversteers depending on the lean of the truck. Of course, with all good things, there's a but. putting the panhard parallel to the axle, especially on lifted trucks can actually decrease the amount of steering angle you get when the rig is crossed up. On top of that, the steering wheel moves while the tires go straight. Again, they call it bump steer, but it's actually suspension induced steering angle. The tires track straight but the steering wheel moves. In bump steer, the tires start oscillating and that is transmitted to the steering wheel. Given this things desire to follow ruts, I'm going to risk some steering angle to get it to drive 80 mph without fear.

I bought a ruffstuff bracket that goes to the outside of the frame. when this is done, those tabs will attach to the inside

I like the scallops - will make my '40 all high-class

Here is where it will hang, only 180 degrees from its current space....

In random other news, I got a spare this weekend

anyway, this is a coming attraction - I'm continuing on with my Wanderer Suburban build.... I was expecting hubs today but this showed up instead.

SuperBuickGuy

So I had convinced myself that I needed to parallel the panhard and do a high-steer to the steering to tame the beast. Before I got too far, I went back to my suspension/steering books and came to the conclusion that zero camber was to blame. It's a Ford axle, so it comes from the factory with nearly 3.0 degrees of positive caster... too much in my opinion so I bought alignment shims and zero'd it. Which was okay with the narrower wheels, but once I got the wider, bead-locks it became nearly undriveable.

so tonight, since my 'burb didn't get back (needs more parts), I spent an hour on this.

and it drives perfect. So for those curious - these are the specs, toe-in 1/4" - call that 2 degrees (at the rim), camber .75 degrees positive, caster 2.50 degrees positive - all at ride height.

SuperBuickGuy

Today was a fun day - I got to show off the '40 and it worked awesome. 2 years to build, 1 year to dial in... another year to perfect it :)
One of the things I appreciate most is the reaction people have to it, overwhelmingly positive - and now I enjoy driving it since I figured the steering stuff out. There will be a few upgrades (such as rear coil overs) but at this point it's time to have fun with it before I have to make it magazine perfect again

anyway, because the sun has shown on us, it's time to take the top off.

and put the alien top on

I really like this thing... no flapping, stops the harsh wind. I have my bikini top for when it gets soggy, but this is the way it runs until October

Attachments

• P5070551_zpsp57ly4f4.jpg
    P5070551_zpsp57ly4f4.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 241

SuperBuickGuy

So despite the distraction of buying another Buick (I swear, no more) I did get stuff done so I am ready with this for the overland rally... I did find a leaking axle seal but it doesn't seem to be leaking enough that I can't stay ahead of it so I'm not going to worry about it.... *whistling*
one of the things to do was remove the glove from my winch

I did notice the sheathing started to melt a bit which isn't cool - however, it seems as strong as before - so we'll see if this really becomes an issue
the issue was the bolt holding the rope didn't hold and the drum seems like it was waxed.... so I did another 'fix' but this time between the heat and the clamps it should work... if not, complaint department is in its normal place (not here)

Here you will notice how well I'm wrapping the drum, nice, even lines.... not through the fairlead DAMMIT... oh wait

I can take my hook apart.... whew

ready for the next extraction

I can't believe all the stupid little rust spots.... I think our illustrious government decided to sneak some salt onto the roads this year (they're only supposed to use it in emergencies).... ugh oh well, I actually planned for this when I built it so all the bits that are problematic are removeable so they can be cleaned and treated - but it's summer, so I'm still driving it

Attachments

• P5210610_zpsh76il6qw.jpg
    P5210610_zpsh76il6qw.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 150

SuperBuickGuy

What a fun weekend. Took the '40 to the NWOR, really had a blast.
Ran the obstacle course

sent my neighbor through in my rig

along with a guy named Mike aka RamRod

and one of the course instructors at the rally....

in 2 wd

it wasn't all lollipops and unicorns

Mike ended up being co-pilot on our Saturday run
the news got out

airing down for comfort

this hill.... funny how it is so different depending on the rig

did a two trail run, hole in the rock

a bit of mud

and some water

then back to a large meadow full of people who would do anything to get away from other people

RamRod

Thanks again for letting me take the 40 through the off road course! It's even better in person then the pic's

The best part is when the instructor on the course saw the 40 as I pulled up to his section and just gave me the one instruction:

"Go where ever you want, you'll make it through!":giggle:

SuperBuickGuy

Thanks again for letting me take the 40 through the off road course! It's even better in person then the pic's

The best part is when the instructor on the course saw the 40 as I pulled up to his section and just gave me the one instruction:

"Go where ever you want, you'll make it through!":giggle:

check your PM for photo file

SuperBuickGuy

So this got a bit of love today... I think when the guy put the window in, he wasn't terribly careful with the paint - so I had to do some rust mort to it

and the rack on top - no, it blocks the rear view... eventually I'm building a new carrier but for now I'll improve the sight line

SuperBuickGuy

Got a care package from Smittybilt today

I had called to basically get a new top for the winch and as an aside I mentioned that the wireless portion worked once. Consecutively. Well, not totally true. It worked once in and out (to set the cable), then after I fussed with it, it worked going in once again... but never again. Apparently there is an issue with the switch.... so they sent me an entire controller, and a new switch for free Blown away. I like smittybilt. They donated to SAR basically because I asked so they always were good folks.... but seeing them match the customer service of Warn makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

switch to replace. Took a bit of love with a file to open the hole up enough but went pretty easily

old switch top, new switch bottom

ran out of time for the install and I may take this opportunity to relocate the box a bit away from danger and hot tubs for next time

SuperBuickGuy

it doesn't run, it runs.... replaced the pickup coil - now it runs. the bit is so dead simple (basically copper wire wrapped around a spool that is then dipped in resin) that I can't imagine how it could fail.... but alas, I did nothing else and it runs again.

the offending piece

this was a pain to get back together mostly because I read the instructions and tried it their way first

the old bit

next up, I'll probably put the top back on... though this weekend I may go do a run I've done before - and that'd be cool without the top.... I also have to fix my hummer.... so we'll see.