• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

FJ4overland

SuperBuickGuy

Last night I started setting up the rear gears,

measuring for shims

Sprayed the KBS today - it went on pretty well, and going to get a larger-nozzle gun was the right choice - I blew this on with a 1.8 nozzle ($16.00 at HF)

round 1 the coating

then a top coat

eventually it will end up a factory matte finish - but I almost ran out of time to spray this - KBS recommends low humidity and no rain. Tomorrow it's supposed to rain, thus killing our great 35% humidity we have today.

SuperBuickGuy

started today by replacing the cad plated bolts with stainless ones

then bolting it together, but this time for real

and for those who are curious how much I took out of the front axle

(driver's side)

passenger side

what the cross brace looks like when apart

and now the motor is in

SuperBuickGuy

bit of paint and some glue....

painted

glued the front diff cover on so I could put the steering on tomorrow, and got the hubs on, the big thing was taking the upper spring out of the coil overs to get it closer to ride-height

it seems way too light, but the 300/200 springs will probably end up being 200/150... that said, I'm not driving it like this, but rather getting the ride height set so that when I get it all together, I can weigh it and get the right springs

SuperBuickGuy

presents.... anyone still wonder why the steering box is still blue?

a good idea, but no, too tall

too short

okay, I don't get it, why is there so much space there?

time to start on the t-case

​of course, that was a dead stop because I printed out the directions and stored them in a safe place....

SuperBuickGuy

moving along
adapter off

ugly... but not rusty...

dagnabit... now that's ugly and must be replaced

if the shims hadn't been trashed, I'd have reused these... for those who count - there must be 48 of these.

.... 42 - the answer to life, the universe and everything, but not the right answer for Dana 300s... I think I found 5 of the missing 6.

if you get lucky, you don't have to pull the lower gears out

the new bits

and yes, this fought me, but I won

anyway, cleaned the case up, I'll paint it tomorrow and hopefully have the instructions so I can put the upper half back together. I'll be waiting for the intermediate shaft to arrive; but I bet that's at least a week out. Which is good, I need to re-order a seal and do a bit of cleanup on the transmission....

​ttfn.

SuperBuickGuy

back to the transfer case

new output shaft

bearing pressed on the other side

much short = happier driveshaft angles

still awaiting the mid-shaft replacement, but at least it's mostly together and painted now.

along with the adapter

the back to the rear end

now with spring mounts and shock mounts

I may make an executive decision and let the truck be 3" over stock height so that I don't have to cut holes in the floor for the shocks

SuperBuickGuy

carrying on
I think these are going to look good... dually marker lights

LED tail lights - but not sure where yet

then an O2 sensor install

and the start of the exhaust

ordered the cats and mufflers (cats aren't required, but it makes wheeling so much more enjoyable since heavy fuel in the exhaust gives me a migraine)....

then onto the body.... should have most of the running gear minus axles and, driveshafts done in the next week or so...

SuperBuickGuy

a bit of bouncing about tonight. I'm kind of waiting for parts (especially a seal) - so I did whatever I figured needed doing
first was weld the extensions together

I've been robbing parts from the Buick - but it makes no sense to simply sit on the parts for another 5 years

I ordered new lines and I'll have to adapt to the Scout box (7/16 fitting rather then 18 mm).... however, everything from the pump is metric so it won't be that hard to do. I also have to put another return into the power steering pump.... easy enough. I want brakes, and hydraboost will give me solid brakes - especially with 4 wheel disk brakes
adapted the pedals

then I started planning the brake lines and putting the various sensors on the motor for EFI and the electronic dash

SuperBuickGuy

Parts, not the right parts, but parts and I made them work

I got to see this a lot - I would have updated last night but there was no update since I got to see this again today

cleanup a bit

problem 1
that slot is in the wrong spot AND it doesn't have an o-ring - fortunately, I got to take it back apart and fix that today

adapter back in place

gear in place, if you look closely on your left, you'll see a copper colored shim...last night, after I had it all together, I spun the input and it hung up. I pulled it apart, and one shim hadn't stayed in place when I put it together.... thus, I got to see the first empty picture again today.

mufflers and cats came today

1st fitting

better fitting

now with brace

SuperBuickGuy

so I didn't get much done today. beside picking up the Land Rover, installing a new microwave, and installing a drain on a water container the '40 got ignored....ish

seat base

I'm going to remove the electronics and simply use a key.

but of course to install that I need to take advantage of unexpected nice weather and haul the shell to get sand blasted

and pull the transmission from the frame so I can do some finish work on the clutch, etc

pull the tailshaft off

nothing looks broken

basically I need to hone out the seal area a bit more to get a seal installed

water jug

who knew that 30 ton presses make excellent clamps too?

SuperBuickGuy

If you are of a sensitive nature... these pictures are NSFW!!!!!
This goes doubly true if you like other netizens who say "ahoy matey"....especially those ones with such delicate constitution

DO NOT ENTER!

There will be NUDITY

my FJ40 is NAKED!

and other then showing a bit much underside

isn't too bad... I was concerned after digging 1/4" of bondo out of the rear corner

that said, I may have to find a fender solution

and I started welding holes tonight.... I think I'll keep the dehumidifier running in the shop and leave it naked while I fill all its holes

SuperBuickGuy

Today has been a nightmare, and tonight's work wasn't any better
I got the clutch on

and think I'm going to go with a pull-style hydraulic clutch..

then the problems started. So I first started with the hydraulic slave cylinder. I think I figured out why I has having so much trouble in my Corvette - the outlets I think were hitting on the housing - but only occasionally (hanging up on ribs).... I noticed it on here... so I spent plenty of time putzing about trying to make that work. Then went to the throwout style - and ran into another problem, I thought I drove the bushing in far enough (mind you, this was the 2nd bushing - yesterday I got reminded that the NAPA SKF version is too big and won't go in - I had this problem on the Corvette too)... this time, I though I hit it to bottom (felt like) but then dismissed the "why is it out a bit?"

and all the shops I use for work are busy - which is good because it means they do good work; but aren't so good about getting the work done as fast as promised (or I'd like)... oh well.

SuperBuickGuy

my wench arrived

just enough room to do a pull-style hydraulic clutch

the correct sensor arrived (e-speedo)

and the drive train is in....

and my wiring arrived for the TBI - what a helpful group of people (Howells)

SuperBuickGuy

I know this doesn't seem to show much, but actually, it's a big step

it means the pinion is in permanently and I can measure for driveshafts and axles (ordered the axles on Friday, will order the driveshafts on Monday)
so the rear springs from a rubicon are a bit soft, but the front springs seem to be pretty close

you'll note my multi-colored zip ties which hold the shocks in place

so this picture is more for the driveshaft folks, but the driveshaft is 19 1/2" long, it has a 23* angle (max 33*) but the pinion and the output are 8* opposite each other which brings the actually degree difference to a reasonable 16* (for a short wheelbase 4x4, that's doing pretty good).

I'll pull the rear differential out in the next day or two and paint it.... gotta be pretty too

front hp 44.... the fronts are 1310 u-joints... I figure that's the cheap fuse in the system - I may have to scallop the cross member for clearance - if I do, I'll add a mid-hoop just so bad things don't happen if the u-joint breaks

twin stick too

now we're getting somewhere

no picture of the first of the brackets welded in place - but it is and I have to fab a couple inner brackets then paint the weld away

on to the bare metal - spray with phosphoric acid

then rinse

same with the hood

I also got onto removing the cowl vent... I figure I'll get that done, ground down, then cut the dash and dowse it all with epoxy primer... maybe tomorrow after work I'll get the rear differential painted and the hood too. The side panels need to be cut and I'm putting different markers in them so there's a bit of fab before they get primered, the tailgate is going to be a one-piece that hinges at the bottom with a ladder attached to it that will double as a molle panel

SuperBuickGuy

continuing from yesterday

I ordered the driveshafts - so that should be the last of the big parts.... now the nickel and dime crap (like window seals and such)
shock mounts (at least half of them)

and the other half in their rough form

epoxy primered the hood

and the fillers (and had a bit of trouble with it - I shouldn't have etched the metal)

the firewall I didn't etch, I just blew the paint on.... it went on beautifully

live and learn - the etched parts still aren't dry to the touch, the firewall is though it was last painted

and I finished filling the hole in the cowl

SuperBuickGuy

thanks

brackets

brackets installed

sway bar

starting on the clutch

turn the bar around the other way

GM A-bodies have a sway bar attached to the lower control arm that works pretty well - thus, copying what they did is the idea behind this

flexy check for clearances

full compression

weld on clevis attachment points

burn finger.... time for new welding gloves (ouch)

SuperBuickGuy

FJ40 standing on its end

now with primer

and inside too

so the axle was a bit long, and Nitro suggested shortening it. It's close... I admit being concerned about the length of spline engagement but I don't do axles for a living and these have a lifetime warranty...

you can see where the seal is now with the shortened shaft

next up, finishing up the underside so I can mount it back on the frame (and gain some room back)

on the lower ball joint, I had to clearance a bit

4speedfunk

Damn. Tough break on the axle shaft. I keep Mr. N's axle shaft chart on hand at all times. Then I adjust the housing accordingly so custom shafts are never needed. The D44 has been made in so many widths, that you can pretty much chop them to any width in 1/2" increments, and then use the appropriate shafts from the chart.
A lathe would be nice to cut a longer seal journal....those can be pesky if it's not completely concentric. At least you didn't have to cut a new C-clip groove!