• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Grinding sound

poweraidon

I was driving last and I heard this metal grinding sound and I thought It was nothing I probably drove through some small rocks. When I started my h3 this morning there was the loud screech from my engine bay and I open my hood to find this

a6u9yty5.jpg

I don't know what this part is called but it's grinding and moving... How do I replace it? And what's the cost?

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Not completely, but since the tensioner hold the belt in place, you have to remove it to some extent. Not a bad time to replace the belt if you've never done so

zackcrum

Yep did this when I replaced my water pump. Not a bad idea to do all of it together if you have the cash while you're in there. I did the water pump belt tensioner and another pulley in there.

zackcrum

Either got the belt routing wrong or you are aren't pulling on the tensioner correctly. Do you have a ratchet or pull bar on there?

poweraidon

Either got the belt routing wrong or you are aren't pulling on the tensioner correctly. Do you have a ratchet or pull bar on there?

I'm using a rachet... I just loosened it till it fell off and try to put the new one on there but the belt is too tight

SuperBuickGuy

woohoo, it's like the forum gave birth to a newbie :)

ya know, once you have success on small things, you'll want to tackle larger things... just say no... upgrade, fix, but do not, I repeat, do NOT take things apart just to make them prettier

poweraidon

woohoo, it's like the forum gave birth to a newbie :)

ya know, once you have success on small things, you'll want to tackle larger things... just say no... upgrade, fix, but do not, I repeat, do NOT take things apart just to make them prettier

Haha yeah it maybe just a small fix (never replaced a tension pully before) but it feels so good fixing your own car. I get a sense of self accomplishment. Haha and I won't maybe when I get a littler older

4speedfunk

Thats a GM thang....(not limited to H3's). You can pretty much count on a new belt, idler wheel, and tensioner wheel every 75K or so....regardless of the motor.