• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Tons of H3 questions

rsm688

Okay guys well I have several questions and instead of making numerous threads I figured I would put them all into one. An answer to any or all would be greatly appreciated. All of this pertains to my 06 H3 wit 96k miles:

1.) Does anyone know the part number for the Alpha Torsion bars? I have found the 4 part numbers for the normal and Alpha ones but cannot figure out which one is for the Alpha and which is for the i5?

2.) When installing new upper control arms, lower ball joints, and lower a-arm bushings I see I need a few tools like a ball joint separator an installer and something to press the bushings in. Has anyone done this job before and if so do you think the Autozon rental tools would work?

3.) My H3 suspension squeeks like crazy, I will be replacing most all of it. What areas need to be lubed to keep it quiet and what do you guys use? Grease, silicon spray?

4.) I need my windshield replaced, I am going to remove all the trim for cleaning and to re-dye it black. I saw there is a special tool to remove the hood cowl. Where can you get this tool, and can it be removed without it?

5.)My front windows seem like the black trim on the inside at the bottom kinda sticks when I roll them down and makes some noise. Any tips for this than a good window cleaning?

6.) I will be changing the oil this week,I live in Mississippi where it is 95 right now. Stick with a synthetic 5w-30 or go with 10w-30?

7.) What kind of fluid should I put in the differentials? (I can read the manual, just looking for the best thing possible)

8.) I noticed my tranny shifts a little bit harder than I would expect. Nothing bad at all, fluid looks clean but who know how old it is. I am going to replace it and the filter. If that doesn't take care of it should I swap in a new valve body. I know the 460le is notorious for them wearing out and figured that would be an easy way to improve the shifting if it is worn out.

9.) I picked up this H3 with a broken shift fork, broken axle or something in the diff, some extremely worn out 35s and mud on the undercariage and inside seeming as ifi it was used hard and been a little neglected but I stole it for $4500. It has been sitting for 9 months with only being cranked once a month. It's an 06 with the 3.5 and 96k miles. I am wanting to keep this and drive it for a year or two and so since I got it so cheap I am going through it and replacing a ton of stuff. I wanted to see if there is anything else ya'll would recommend to replace or inspect. Below is what has either already been done or is being done within the next week or so:
Air Doc intake and new AFE filter
New OEM Iridium plugs
New battery (previous owner, doesn't fit the battery box well so will probably replace)
Cleaned throttle body and MAF
Fresh gas and Seafoam
New Bilstein shocks front and rear
New sway bar links front and rear
New shackle bushings for rear suspension (possibly new rear leaf springs once I get her together and see how the suspension feels after)
New upper control arms, lower ball joints, lower a-arm bushings
Scorpworks 4x4 upgraded diff bushings/crossmember
Scorpworks 4x4 upgraded steering mount kit
Tie rod ends will be inspected when I rebuild the front end and fresh PS fluid
Replaced plastic shift fork with upgraded metal one
New Oil/filter, tranny fluid/filter, transfer case fluid, diff fluid
Replace brake pads (if needed) and I will probably try and flush fresh fluid in by keeping the MC full and bleeding from each corner til I get all the old out.
Alignment (after the front end is done)
5 new 315/75/16 BFG All Terrains

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm new to Hummers so trying to get my basics covered.

Thanks,
Spencer

4speedfunk

1) No.
2) I don't recommend using a ball joint separator (pickle fork). This will do more harm than good. However, since you are replacing them....wail away! A hydraulic shop press will work good on the bushings.
3) Welcome to the world of H3's....the loudest drivetrain ever! Rear shackles and leaf springs seem to be the loudest. Spray some WD or white lithium on them.
4) No idea.
5) Aerosol silicone...sometimes called "wire dryer".
6) 5w-30...regardless of temp.
7) 75-90 full-synth gear lube.
8) You can also adjust the shift firmness with a TCM re-flash from PCMofNC. Perhaps this has already been done? I prefer firm shifts to the stock Cadillac shifts.
9) You forgot the new front diff!

P.S. $4500? Nice buy. Thats what a 100K mile H3 with a broken axle and mud all over it, should go for.

SuperBuickGuy

Everything 4 speed said except
you don't need a ball joint press because the upper control arms come with the ball joints already installed - in fact, it's a common gripe that we can't replace just the ball joint.

Reloader

A ball joint press really makes replacing the lower ball joints easier unless you are replacing the whole lower control arm.
When separating the upper ball joint from the knuckle, remove the pinch bolt and tap a small chisle into the split to slightly open the gap and the balljoint will come right out. Use some penetrating oil too. Consider installing grease zerks in the upper balljoints. Alrock has a thread on this back aways.