• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Daily driving H1?

JonBishop

Just was wondering do any of you folks use your H1 as a daily driver?... I do plan on owning one and it'll probably be my DD for awhile when ever that is when I get it haha just was curious to see how many of you use them for DD's [emoji4]

LagunaH1

It can be done. They aren't particularly nimble in parking lots and you will get a lot of different reactions from everyone who sees your truck. The best reaction is, by far, from little kids who all seem to think that H1's are awesome.

Timgco

Hugh Hefner
It can be done. They aren't particularly nimble in parking lots and you will get a lot of different reactions from everyone who sees your truck. The best reaction is, by far, from little kids who all seem to think that H1's are awesome.[/

That's because thy are. :)

canderson

I daily drive often, it's easier to park than my F250. I tend to prefer backing in. Course there's the mileage, but we don't buy them for the mileage! You'd be surprised how often it can actually come in handy on the road...especially off the road. Should you happen to come across a construction site, it's always a perfect time to play!

mrosky1

Probationary Member
I have been daily driving my H1 for the last 2 1/2 years and love it. 1999 XLC2
bfaf619f03a077e1088e470364e85c13.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FenrisUltra

I drive my M998 all the time, I love it, every second of it...when you drive a military vehicle like this, everyone gets out of your way without question.
IMG_1160_zpsmjgjgyfa.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1160_zpsmjgjgyfa.jpg
    IMG_1160_zpsmjgjgyfa.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 3,327

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
The later models aren't too bad. I would not want to do 1000 miles in a Humvee or 92/93. I have done Moab in my 92 many times. 55mph or less on some of the grades. About 750 miles each way. Did it one way from Moab to Texas. About 1000 miles. Long trip. I did CA to central Texas in my 6.5 TD 98 and it wasn't bad. 65 mph towing a loaded M101 trailer.

LagunaH1

Being passed by semi's going up grades is not unusual for H1's, it's the same for me. Better to slow down and watch the temps and look after the engine.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Zach, you drove the 94. One secret to getting more power out of the engines when going up grades is to back off the skinny pedal a little. Dumping more fuel only slows you down more but does help in keeping the cars behind you from seeing you.
The 94 has the 6.5 NA engine. It is better than the 6.2.

skeptic

I have never driven an H1, but IMHO I think it would depend where you live and work. When I lived in South Florida and worked in Miami I sold my Trans Am because it was inconveniently big and wide with long doors for all the congestion and parking lots/garages. Where I was in UT I could probably have gotten away with an H1, although parking would occasionally suck. Where I am in OR my H2 is as wide as I'd want, an H1 would be possible but it wouldn't be fun.

Then there is the issues with hills and overheating, but I'd just be parroting what others have said and guessing.

Scarsman

Sponsor
I have never driven an H1, but IMHO I think it would depend where you live and work. When I lived in South Florida and worked in Miami I sold my Trans Am because it was inconveniently big and wide with long doors for all the congestion and parking lots/garages. Where I was in UT I could probably have gotten away with an H1, although parking would occasionally suck. Where I am in OR my H2 is as wide as I'd want, an H1 would be possible but it wouldn't be fun.

Then there is the issues with hills and overheating, but I'd just be parroting what others have said and guessing.

What is funny though, is the H2 is actually bigger than the H1. When I have my H2 beside a friend's H1 it makes the H1 look small.

H1 is 184.5" long, 86.5" wide, and 77" tall.

H2 is 203.5" long, 81.3" wide, and 79" tall.

So the H1 is wider, but is overall smaller.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Kurt

Long trips I try to get a family member or a buddy to tag along to split driving duties with, it's a bit more fun and you can cover more miles without getting tired. I did that on the last big trip I had out to moab 2 years back.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Definitely a good idea to have a buddy driver. H1 seats aren't the most comfortable I have ever sat in. After 6-8 hours they are even less comfortable. Or it might just be my old back.

LagunaH1

Definitely a good idea to have a buddy driver. H1 seats aren't the most comfortable I have ever sat in. After 6-8 hours they are even less comfortable. Or it might just be my old back.

It's kinda funny.... I agree that they tend to be a bit hard but the basic ergonomics suit me a lot better than the seats in my 08 H3 did. I often felt like I was sitting on the floor in my H3

FenrisUltra

How are they on long trips 1000 mile+??

My M998 can only do 55 mph top speed. Well it can do more, but the drive train system can't handle it. The HMMWV isn't like the Hummer, it wasn't designed for long road trips. You actually have to pull over alot and let all the hardware cool down from time to time. If you wanted to do go somewhere far away and do off-roading your actually suppose to flat deck it to the location. Don't get me wrong, I rather off-road with a HMMWV then an H1 if given the choice because it was a truck designed for off-roading and nothing but off-roading, in fact it can actually out-preform an H1 off-road for a number of reasons (depending on the situation).

HMMWV's (the older versions) were made lighter, simpler then the H1 (not to mention all the parts are waterproof and can be completely submerged underwater up to the snorkel and exhaust pipe). H1's have all kinds of things in it that are designed for comfort and coolness which take away from it's reliability (such as finished interiors, electronic vehicle operation things, parts not made to military/reliability specifications). All of these factors determine how the trucks function. The H1 is a good off-road vehicle and a diesent on-road vehicle, but the HMMWV is by far a great off-road vehicle and totally crap when it comes to putting them on the road (you just have to treat it like an aircraft and not like a car in order to get the most out of it and properly maintain it).

To all the H1 fan's out there that read this...don't worry, I love H1's to and I'm still planning to get one to go with my M998 when I get the money :)

Last edited: