• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

XM RADIO Question

killerb

OK, so I tried to do a search on here, but didnt have much luck. Hoping someone can help. I have the base radio with the band button. No I do not have the XM module behind the glovebox and I would like to keep the factory radio, for now. Can anyone tell me what I need to buy to get XM through the factory radio?

Panzer07

Save your money XM was having their XM radios free if you got a year subscription...personally I like it that way better because that way you can take the XM radio player with you and listen to it in your house or tailgates...this way you aren't just stuck to listen to it in your truck,

Sent From Someone Else's iPhone 'Cause I'm Too Broke To Own One.

deserth3

I'm pretty sure if your radio has the Band button it'll support the xm module. But I could be wrong.
Easy way is to stop at any GM dealer. They can help you.
You can also try a salvage yard to get a module and antenna.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

benlaud87

If you have a band button that would just switch between am and fm if you don't have xm. My 2002 lancer has that button. Hopefully yours supports it and it's an easy fix.

LagunaH1

Or... if you have your iPhone / smartphone / Android set up to play music through your radio, then maybe consider streaming from a service like Pandora or iTunes radio?

killerb

I have had XM for quite awhile in my car. Since I dont drive it much anymore I was looking to add it to the H3. I was hoping to use the factory radio if possible because unlike my car, there really isnt a "clean looking" spot to mount the removeable car kit. From the sound of things I might not be able to. Does anyone know anything about the TERK connector? From the info I am finding this seems to be the only possiblity for using the factory radio. Also, it seems as though I am getting mixed messages on the band button. Does having that button mean that it is XM capable if I add the module? Anyone have experience with that?

benlaud87

If you don't have the xm module behind the glove box you could search eBay or other online sources for an OEM xm unit. I'm not sure off the top of my head what kind of connector the pioneer xm units use or the OEM, maybe the pioneer xm would plug in directly. I have one at my house, I can look this weekend.

Was your vehicle ever owned by a rental agency or business? I thought all h3s came standard with xm modules that just needed to be activated.

killerb

I am not sure about the rental agency or business ownership. I was able to find minimal information about the XM module being standard and that is a negative. I have a base 06, and it was apparently optional. Like I said I do have the band button, so according to the info that I found I should be able to get the module and plug everything in and be done. On the flip side, I have found the TERK connector (basically the same thing)for GM vehicles that is supposed to work as well, looks like that will be cheaper. Used factory modules are not as cheap as you would think they should be and it appears you have to have the dealer flash it or something for use. Right now the real problem is that I cant seem to find a definitive answer on anything. I wish I could just find someone that says "buy this, its the cheapest method, you can keep factory look, and it will work" lol. All of the input is helpful though, at least it is giving me ideas to search for. Right now, it looks like this Terk connector may be the way to go but I still have to dig up some more info on that too.

killerb

well, i ended up ordering replacements for everything in the truck from crutchfield. it wasnt the cost effective approach i was looking for but overall it made sense. I purchased a new double din radio that has pandora available and is xm capable. got 2 sets of speakers, xm tuner for the radio and the plug that i need to keep all of the onstar, door chime, factory stuff functional. All for 269. Of course since it was all from crutchfield i get all of the accessories i need to hook everything up included. Thanks everyone for your input, i will let you know how everything sounds.

killerb

Everything is installed! Love it, sounds great! I have to align the radio a little bit better, its not sitting as flush with the trim as I would like. I ran out of time for install, but once that is done I will post some pics.