• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Ogden/SLC area run next weekend (7/12) or 7/26?

skeptic

Next weekend will be my first completely free non-holiday weekend this summer and it would be nice to get away. One day trail ride, over night camping trip, even a scenic drive through the mountains. Either weekend would work, possibly even both. Maybe Trevor can play lead to his High Uintas camping areas?

John - you get your truck back on the road?

deserth3

Got it back. But the Tranny has an internal. Happy it didn't happen on the trail. It'll be another week. I'll check those dates when I get to work.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

skeptic

Cool - maybe we can try to plan for something on 7/26. This weekend is short notice, and rushing a trip with a potential tranny issue is not a great idea. I'm still open for something this weekend if anyone else wants to hit the mountains. Trail ride, camping trip, or just a day trip with the wife around Pineview - I'm getting out of town this weekend.

skeptic

Trevor (Airborn) was talking about the High Uintas. A bit farther than where I usually go, but it's somewhere new and sounds far less crowded than AF. My preference would be an overnight (camping) trip but I'm pretty much up for anything.

deserth3

I'm up for some camping. I have an Evolution E2 for boondocking. Don't much like camp grounds if I can avoid it. I don't like tieing the dogs up.
I start mids for 8 weeks starting Monday. I get off Friday morning and go back in Sunday night. Though I'm up to taking a couple of those off.

skeptic

I had to google Evolution E2 (pop-up tent trailer right?) and boondocking.. I'm not a fan of camp grounds either, although on occasion the wife and I have gone out for a weekend with no set plans on where to camp and ended up in one. I'd much rather drive to a spot with nobody around and pitch a tent, which is what I gather boondocking is but with an RV instead of a tent.

deserth3

I had to google Evolution E2 (pop-up tent trailer right?) and boondocking.. I'm not a fan of camp grounds either, although on occasion the wife and I have gone out for a weekend with no set plans on where to camp and ended up in one. I'd much rather drive to a spot with nobody around and pitch a tent, which is what I gather boondocking is but with an RV instead of a tent.
Yes on all accounts. I find I like my comfort. And sleeping on the ground just doesn't cut it.

skeptic

Big inflatable mattress is more comfortable than you'd think. Not as good as a pop-up with mattress, but it's not horrible. If Airborn doesn't reply by tomorrow I'll text him - he may not watch this forum.

Choc - always great to have more people.

I know I put my "High Uintas sounds great, but I've never been there" idea out there, any other thoughts on where to go?

skeptic

Ok, been a busy couple weeks but this Saturday (7/26) I AM headed for an overnight camping trip somewhere. Open to suggestions for the destination, mostly just looking for some place new. I'm hoping someone will step up and say "Hey, I know a place." I'm even ok with Friday-Sat or Fri-Sun. Long scenic drive and setting up camp that evening or get there at noon and spend the day around camp or fishing someplace nearby - I don't care.

If nobody else volunteers to "lead" or has a better idea I'm just going to try to find a map of the uintas and start driving.

skeptic

This thread has pretty much died. I didn't realize until earlier this week that this is actually a holiday weekend, so perhaps that's why the apparent lack of interest? I normally would avoid weekends like this, but my summer has been pretty screwed so I actually scheduled this weekend to be off work. I still plan to go, even if it's just driving to hwy 150 and looking for random dirt roads.

Anyone else still interested or is this going to be me?

skeptic

Got back a couple hours ago and it was great. Did some fishing, camped with nobody nearby, stayed up late sitting by the fire playing cards with my wife, enjoyed cooler weather. There were empty spots with room to pull a pop-up tent. :wink:

It was just us and not really worthy of a trip report, so I'll just post the few pictures I took here in this thread (just realized I have no good pics of the reservoir itself).

20140727_085546_zpsvlgxjast.jpg

20140726_170833_zpsgo4idiia.jpg

20140726_170809_zpsudbch33t.jpg

20140727_075752_zps0vgfn2yj.jpg

20140726_150605_zpsrdbxqyur.jpg

skeptic

I tracked the route I took using MyTracks. Still trying to figure out how to use it properly and I don't know how to post a pic/map of it, but this should be a public link to the map. There are places to camp everywhere and you can drive right down to the water. Assuming the map link is working like I expect, we camped at "our camp site" and an even better spot we found after setting up camp and headed off to fish was at "empty camp spot." The empty camp spot was just as secluded as ours, overlooked the water, and what you can't really tell from the map is it's a steep drop down from the back side. In the open meadow just NW of "our camp site" they were training bird dogs the first day but by 5pm or so they were gone and we didn't see anyone from our camp site. We did hear the occasional yell in the distance. For whatever reason, we didn't even have an issue with bugs and mosquitoes. They started to show up around 6 or 7pm, so I started a fire and lit a small citronella candle (I have doubts that they actually do much if anything) and they went away.

The pond and meadow pics above are just N and NW of our campsite on the map. I will definitely be going back when work and life give me another weekend off.

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zSi6_dfxPe98.ka5jm-jSTI3w