• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Replace leaf bushings or replace whole leaf springs?

hodges81

I have a 2006 H3 and have already rebuilt my whole front suspension, now that I've worked my way to the rear of the vehicle I've found the Shackle and leaf bushings are both blown out. Should I just go ahead and replace the leaf springs instead of just the bushings. They still have a little life in them but the way I go OFF ROAD in West Virginia I'm a little skeptical of there integrity. I have also replaced the diff. cross-member and rack support through scorpworks. Also, complete Bilstein 5100 leveling shocks are in transit. Trying to keep maintenance maintained
Thanks in advance!!!

:thumbs:

Last edited:

amrg

The leaf spring bushings cost 20 dollars and can do 4 packs. You will need to see what the labour costs. New leaf springs cost 140 each online, so thats 280 total + shipping.

In both cases ur gna need new U-bolts/shackle bushings so that gna cost the same in both cases.

hodges81

Whats the difference in the 2006-2008 and the 2009-2010 leaf springs? Besides the price... 09-10 are cheaper than the 06-08 and why I have now clue...

:feedback:

Last edited:

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Shouldn't be any change between the years.

I just had my springs re-arched and added a full length leaf as well. Your springs have a limited life expectancy as well so if you're going to do all of that work you might as well address the rear springs, whether servicing or replacing. Besides the re-arch I replaced all six bushings and the u-bolts. The re-arching with a full leaf was about $260 at a shop in town.

New springs aren't that expensive but the shipping cost can be painful.

Here's one of my bushings
LeafSprings%20030214%20%283%29-L.jpg

And the revised springs before everything was buttoned up.
Leafs2%20%282%29-L.jpg

Pappibri

The dealer just replaced my leafs under warranty.. Gotta love that extended warranty and a quality dealership that likes to take care of our Hummers. :thumbs:

4speedfunk

Even if you replace the springs...the new ones will come with soft rubber bushings. I would look into some urethane jobs. Now that I have done the SOA...my rear axle sees more rotational torque loads, and those bushings are more critical to keeping everything in alignment. Not sure a stock arrangement needs this sort of stiffness but, if you use the same approach as you did on the front end...it surely couldn't hurt.

Alrock's photo is amazing. I've pulled apart 200K-mile Blazers from the early 70s that had better bushings!