• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Oregon & Washington Overland trip July/Aug 2014

RamRod

Hi Guys,
I have been doing lots of trip planning with my girlfriend over the past few months, setting a time line, getting locations and dates in order. But there is only so much you can plan on your own using the internet.

This is where my open post to the forum comes in, for those of you that are familiar with the two states I am asking if there is anything that is a MUST do/see.
In general we plan on Starting our trip in Coos Bay, Oregon the last week of July after a drive from Calgary, Alberta in one straight shot.

From there we will be following up the West coast back into Canada. The Canadian section of our trip I am quite familiar with and I have an idea of the things I’d like to do for that leg of the trip.
But for the section pictured below what should we plan on doing? I am hoping for some back roads and trails, so hikes, places to set up camp for a beautiful view outside the RTT. If there are any trail runs for local groups that will be happening as we pass I would love to be able to join in too!!
attachment.php

To keep the GF happy I’ll be booking us into a hotel for a night every 6[SUP]th[/SUP] day (her condition) so I will need to take that into consideration.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• map.jpg
    map.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 361

SuperBuickGuy

That's a fun run. Here's some to-dos

Newport bay - Aquarium, it used to house Kaiko the killer whale, but even without that fish, it's pretty cool
There's a lighthouse in Newport bay as well that's cool
There's shopping/cool touristi district

Tillamook - cheese factory (you'll never eat another cheese after that visit or ice cream), Blimp/air museum

Cannon Beach - touristy, but well worth the visit; especially if you can hit it during one of their festivals (too late for the best - sand castle festival)

Astoria area - go to the fort

it's kind of a long slog up from Astoria to Hoquim, but it's pretty - and Long Beach has some good sights and camping

Do stay in the State Parks - but AND THIS IS IN CAPITAL LETTERS, MAKE RESERVATIONS NOW!!!! they fill up quickly during the best months (July/August)

Honestly, I'd avoid Olympia and Seattle and go around to Forks, failing that, go up through Olympia to Anacortes then take a Ferry to the San Juan islands (Orcas island is really cool as is Port Townsend - city on San Juan island) then take a Ferry to Victoria or Vancouver BC... again, those areas have great State parks with showers, and nice camping spots - but they fill up in a hurry.

As for wheeling the Oregon Dunes (south of Newport Bay), and Tillamook burn (Browns camp) is pretty neat. Once you get to the Northern washington coast - there's mud galore (it rains, a lot). If you want a nice hike - Devil's point near Forks.

You won't get much off-road adventure because I-5 is on the east side, and Pacific Hwy is on the west side... there's nothing but mountains between and all roads go east/west.... you can do some bit driving off the main route, but it's really, really slow and not complete.

I you do go north through Seattle, set a date and we'll take you to Walker OHV park.

RamRod

That all sounds like a lot of good info!

I'll have a bunch of new things/places to enter into google!

I don't doubt your right about the camp grounds booking up early so I plan to get on that next week when I will have loads of spare time (GF will be away for a week :D)

I'll let you know if we head North through Seattle an OHV park sounds fun!

ABNTROOP

HIPPO
Either way, ya oughtta stop by for a beer :cheers: I'm sure I could convince Erik and some of our other locals to work their way across town and we could have a little H4O get together.

RamRod

Either way, ya oughtta stop by for a beer :cheers: I'm sure I could convince Erik and some of our other locals to work their way across town and we could have a little H4O get together.

That would be great!

Where would be the best place to plan a get together? That way I can come up with an approximate time line!

I think I convinced my GF to do the whole Oregon-Washington backcountry route!!

Perhaps our timing will match up and we could run the Washington section at the same time!

It's prefect because it ends right at the border crossing we planned on using to cross back into Canada!

Sent from handheld smoke signal device

RamRod

Okay well you can scout out that portion of the trail for us and tell us what to expect over a burger and a beer!!

Sent from handheld smoke signal device