• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Recommendation

954paulo

So I have some shotguns and .22 rifles.

I want something more fun to shoot.
What's a goods gun for around 400.

Sadly I do not have my permit for a hand gun just yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
An AR15 or any other rifle in 223/222. It will be good out to 500-600 depending on bullet you use.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

skeptic

I'm guessing he meant $400, not 400 yards.

Too bad you're in NY, sounds like that place sucks for stomping on gun rights and twisting the words of the constitution to fit their anti-gun agenda. What's "more fun" to you is something only you can really answer. My suggestion would be a handgun (I know you said something about not having a permit yet). I used to shoot almost entirely rifle, but I've slowly found myself shooting more and more pistol and rarely shoot rifle anymore.

skeptic

NY - no evil looking black "assault rifle" of death. No "fun" rifles. Even my lowly 9mm CX4 is banned in NY (as I understand it). For that matter, my kid's 10/22 is probably banned as an assault rifle because he got a new stock for X-mas - a scary evil black stock. My kid's WWII era Mosin Nagant, fuggetaboutit, bayonet lug (and matching bayonet).

At least the 7 round mag limit was tossed.

So ya, if I were in NY I'd move. If for some reason I lived in NY and wasn't planning to move, I'd turn to pistols for shooting fun. Honestly though, I've never shot skeet and that looks like a fun thing to do with a shotgun.

Kyle

NY - no evil looking black "assault rifle" of death. No "fun" rifles. Even my lowly 9mm CX4 is banned in NY (as I understand it). For that matter, my kid's 10/22 is probably banned as an assault rifle because he got a new stock for X-mas - a scary evil black stock. My kid's WWII era Mosin Nagant, fuggetaboutit, bayonet lug (and matching bayonet).

At least the 7 round mag limit was tossed.

So ya, if I were in NY I'd move. If for some reason I lived in NY and wasn't planning to move, I'd turn to pistols for shooting fun. Honestly though, I've never shot skeet and that looks like a fun thing to do with a shotgun.

skeets fun! gets tiring too lol

Kurt

NY's restrictions on the AR-15 are cosmetic. Work around the requirements and you can legally have one.

Unfortunately NY is probably the most expensive state to buy an AR, so it won't be in that price range, unless you build your own from a receiver and make sure you don't run fowl of the SAFE act. At least until it gets struck down in courts.

Last edited:

954paulo

Yeah we are very limited. Ny is starting to sux more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LoJac963

$400 your options are pretty limited and you can pretty much throw any assault type weapon off the options table for that price range. Check out the Hi Point Carbines. They come in 9mm-45 calibers. Surprisingly being Hi Points the carbines are very reliable in my experiences. I've shot my friends 9mm carbine to death and rarely does it jam. I plan on picking one up in 40cal.

Speaking about NY laws. I just ordered a Sage EBR stock for my M1A and called Sage to order the selector switch block off plate and her first question was what state I lived in. They can't even sell small accessories to certain states!