• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Differences between H3 Alpha, Adventure, and Lux?

R

REDSKINSFAN

Title pretty much speaks for itself, but to add... I'm especially wondering about the difference between the alpha and the adventure

digglesworth

Alpha= v8
Adventure= 4:1 t-case and rear locker

The adventure package is more of an off road package that gives you the 4:1 gear ratio for 4lo. The non-adv uses a 2.6:1 ratio and no rear locker. The 09s and 10s also came with a front locker.

R

REDSKINSFAN

Alpha= v8
Adventure= 4:1 t-case and rear locker

The adventure package is more of an off road package that gives you the 4:1 gear ratio for 4lo. The non-adv uses a 2.6:1 ratio and no rear locker. The 09s and 10s also came with a front locker.
is the adventure a V8 as well or is that only the alpha?

digglesworth

The adventure package is a package that was added to either. You can have an alpha adventure or a 5cyl adventure. It's just the addition of the 4:1 transfer case and locking differential(s)....

R

REDSKINSFAN

The adventure package is a package that was added to either. You can have an alpha adventure or a 5cyl adventure. It's just the addition of the 4:1 transfer case and locking differential(s)....
oh, i gotcha, thanks

skeptic

In the Alphas I believe the Adventure package is just called off road package. No idea why they call it something different, but I'm pretty sure they did. You also get different shocks.

Lux = more chrome and more standard stuff compared to the base.

One thing to be aware of, if you are shopping for one don't believe the ads. I don't know why dealerships get it so wrong, but you have to look at the pictures or see them in person. Plenty of "Adventure" models being advertised that are not (no lockers), and the other way around. My H3T was advertised online as a base model, but it was really a Lux + Adventure. Go figure.

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
Alpha = V8
Adventure = Locker and 4:1 T-case (2008.5+ means front locker too)
LUX = Power Heated Seats, Leather, Premium Sound, Most likely factory SUB (automatic transmission unless special ordered in manual)

Other optional features that has nothing to do with package.
- Sunroof
- Towing Package
- Chrome (paint over or destroy this ****)

Chrome package has nothing to do with LUX, but they tend to go hand in hand

You can get any combination of packages, like my H3 is both a Adventure and a LUX with towing and Sunroof

Bananatank

Yeah I never thought of this because I figured the place I bought it from had it right, but I have a luxury h3 and I never thought I could possibly have an adventure package that they didn't know about so are there any ways I can check this just by looking at something?

R

REDSKINSFAN

In the Alphas I believe the Adventure package is just called off road package. No idea why they call it something different, but I'm pretty sure they did. You also get different shocks.

Lux = more chrome and more standard stuff compared to the base.

One thing to be aware of, if you are shopping for one don't believe the ads. I don't know why dealerships get it so wrong, but you have to look at the pictures or see them in person. Plenty of "Adventure" models being advertised that are not (no lockers), and the other way around. My H3T was advertised online as a base model, but it was really a Lux + Adventure. Go figure.
ok, this is good to know, i've been looking for an alpha with adventure pack, and found nothin. also just like Bananatank asked, what should i look for specifically to tell them apart since i cant trust what theyre being listed as.

Bananatank

If I'm correct I believe on the dash above the radio there should be two buttons instead of one. There should be two buttons beside the passenger airbag which is above the radio. I think I read that.

R

REDSKINSFAN

If I'm correct I believe on the dash above the radio there should be two buttons instead of one. There should be two buttons beside the passenger airbag which is above the radio. I think I read that.
will those buttons indicate an alpha or would they indicate an adventure pack

skeptic

Essentially yes - you need to look for locker buttons. Fortunately the one button vs. two buttons is really easy to distinguish in online photos even if it's not a close-up and you can't see what they buttons are. In '06-'08 you would have a rear locker button (stick figure of the car with an X where the rear diff is) next to the stabilitrac button. In '09/'10 you have both locker buttons there and the stabilitrac button is moved near the bottom of the center console. If you search the forum there are pictures of this.

Good luck finding an H3 Alpha with lockers. The reason I'm in an H2 is because I gave up looking for an Alpha w/off road package after a few months and let this forum talk me into test driving an H2. If you are willing to buy online from out of state then no big deal, or if you get lucky.. One other thing I considered, if you have a CarMax you can find something from their inventory and have it shipped locally. Anywhere from $200 to over a grand that you pay for. I had considered this route, but between the not-so-great CarMax pricing and paying to have them ship something I might not even like after seeing in person.. Either way, good luck in your hunt.

edit: Those buttons are for the adventure/off road package. The Alpha is easy to see, big Alpha badges on the steering wheel and lift gate.

ashexxx

After months of searching, I just found an Alpha w Adventure and Lux, and the dealer only advertised it as an alpha. You can find them, just don't get raped.If you're looking for the adventure package, look for this button.
se7ega5u.jpg
If you're looking for an Alpha, look for the badges.
ypa2ajub.jpg

SuperBuickGuy

Alpha = V8
Adventure = Locker and 4:1 T-case (2008.5+ means front locker too)
LUX = Power Heated Seats, Leather, Premium Sound, Most likely factory SUB (automatic transmission unless special ordered in manual)

Other optional features that has nothing to do with package.
- Sunroof
- Towing Package
- Chrome (paint over or destroy this ****)

Chrome package has nothing to do with LUX, but they tend to go hand in hand

You can get any combination of packages, like my H3 is both a Adventure and a LUX with towing and Sunroof

I agree with everything except the heated seats - my 08 H3 Alpha Adventure is a V8 with leather, power seats; but it is not a lux because it didn't come in a metal-flake color. My 07 H3 Adventure - here's why I disagree with you, I love maroon (the color) and the Lux package come in maroon.... but I could not get a maroon AND Adventure package.... does that mean it doesn't exist? no, but speaking from my experience - they said no.... given they would have made more money if it existed...

Anyway, everything else is spot on - especially the bit about the chrome!

Lux package was also wheels (really, really ugly wheels) and a solid tire cover painted body-color.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I don't think Lux was dependent on rims or solid tire cover. Mine came with neither flashy rims or a tire cover that sounds more like the X package

2010H3TAlpha

I've read it depends on the year...I've read that later years like 2009 and 2010 Alphas have some luxury options like chrome package. My 2010 H3T came with the Bushwhacker flares...the rears aren't even listed in the factory service manual or parts diagrams. So random...