• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Transmission lines

chaos254

May have found one! I had one that came in the kit...

Now I have to test it, see if it fits then order another one.

http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Derale/D13018.html

One one of the two would work, the screw on one would screw onto the cooler line.

That definitely looks like it would work. This would make install so much easier. I have everything to cut and flare the lines but I have been leary of messing it up lol. I much rather buy 2 of those kits and be done with it.

Are the stock lines threaded? I thought thy used a clip to hold it into the radiator

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk

Last edited:

digglesworth

Please post what works. Cutting lines makes me real nervous about the install. If you guys can get the install as streamlined as possible, you'd be doing the H3 community a great service.

CaseyS

http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Derale/D13018.html

One one of the two would work, the screw on one would screw onto the cooler line.

What are you trying to do with this one?

DO NOT unscrew the quick connect fitting in the radiator. The fitting in the radiator is straight, not tapered threads to start with. That fitting holds the cooler in place in the radiator end tank. If you unscrew both of them the trans cooler will fall into the end tank. There is an o-ring on the trans cooler inside of the tank that gets sandwiched to the inner radiator end tank. I had my radiator out of the truck on the ground and with a fabricated hook and new o-rings almost did not get it reassembled.

If you pull the return side quick connect out of the radiator you should have enough lip on it to worm clamp a hose on to it without any worries. That line would go from the new cooler back to the trans. Use a Hayden 397 fitting to make your jumper from the radiator cooler to the new cooler.

This looks to be the equivalent Derale fitting to cross to the Hayden 397

http://www.etrailer.com/p-D13035.html

Last edited:

poncho1965

DO NOT unscrew the quick connect fitting in the radiator. The fitting in the radiator is straight, not tapered threads to start with. That fitting holds the cooler in place in the radiator end tank. If you unscrew both of them the trans cooler will fall into the end tank.

http://www.etrailer.com/p-D13035.html

LOL I did this when I replaced my radiator!! I then learned about the clips and how to prevent the cooler from falling into the tank.

I'm at a standstill on the project today because I can't figure out where to put the thermostat/valve. Plus driving around it's too hot to work on now. I did talk to a transmission shop, his opinion was the thermostat is not needed where I live. He was thinking also that the torque converter would not lock up anyway if it's not up to temp. I'll probably install it anyway, going to sleep on it though. I could try it without the thermostat I suppose....installing it later wouldn't be a big deal.

Mike

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I haven't pulled them off to see but as long as there's a lip on the end were good. That will prevent it from wiggling off

poncho1965

Ok I installed the mess today. Use 3/8" trans line for the install. Shorter runs from the valve to the cooler I used 5/16", but in retrospect I would use all 3/8" next time. It's expensive! All I did is unhook the lines from the radiator and run the new line up over the existing line (it has a flare of sorts, not sure what you call it), clamp it and its secure. I can hook right back to the radiator in five minutes if needed. Installed the thermostat as well (rated 180 degrees). Ran it to operating temp (no leaks)! The thermostat must have a tolerance, I never saw above 172 degrees tranny temp, and it was circulating through the new cooler. As I drive it more I will share how good or not this cooler works. It did not get above 55 degrees ambient temp today.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
That's great! Im glad you finished yours, I need to start mine. I haven't had much time since my family from NY is out here.

Driving home from work today I hit trans temps of 212 degrees and it was only 68 out. I don't know how....that's why I went 160 stat. I could pull 255 easy in 100+ and would hit 230+ any time I drove in temps over 90.

poncho1965

That's great! Im glad you finished yours, I need to start mine. I haven't had much time since my family from NY is out here.

Driving home from work today I hit trans temps of 212 degrees and it was only 68 out. I don't know how....that's why I went 160 stat. I could pull 255 easy in 100+ and would hit 230+ any time I drove in temps over 90.

That's crazy! Running up to Big Bear, don't think I ever saw over 175. And today it wouldn't hit 180 no matter how I tried.

Zach

Mall Crawler
Running to Big Bear I was at 150ish. Coming down, was maybe 125. I took it slow. On the way down 3rd gear. Oh driving the 2 though.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I either have a lead foot or something is wrong with my trans. The thing is that is runs fine and shifts perfect, it just gets hot.

The H2 cooler must be much bigger then ours. Id love to see temps like that

digglesworth

Any chance you could post up a couple pics of your install, poncho? Is there a gap to snake the lines through to the front of the condensor to the cooler? Where did you end up mounting the thermostat for it?

poncho1965

Any chance you could post up a couple pics of your install, poncho? Is there a gap to snake the lines through to the front of the condensor to the cooler? Where did you end up mounting the thermostat for it?

esu8u7an.jpg

Yes there is a rubber flap below the radiator/condenser that just tucks up underneath your front skid. Plenty of room to fit the rubber transmission line underneath without pinching/kinking the line. My thermostat rests directly behind the lower perforated grill section, hides behind my winch. I secured tranny lines with zip ties, trying to eliminate any movement/kinks/chafing. Once you dive into the install, it will become more clear. I was not wild about cutting tranny lines, so I succeeded in that respect. Like the option that in a pinch I can go back to stock setup if the situation requires it :)

Mike

digglesworth

I appreciate that. Hopefully I can tackle this project in the spring after I knock out a couple other projects waiting in line.