• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

So when is it time to circle the Hummers

deserth3

I've read several apocalyptic books lately. In almost everyone the author talks about seeing signs of it comming. i.e. Banks colapsing, CEO's being fired, Immense government debt, terrorist activity and bombings.

Now in my opinion we can go back 6+ years and see these things happen. But alas we are still here. So I'd thought I'd start a discusion. How will we know when it's time head to a safer place and circle the Hummers.

Neo

Badfish
i think we are like the frogs in a boiling pot, we won't know until it's too late... just move to Moab and wait, that's what i did. as for circling the hummers we do two practices a year, April and October but you know that :wink: if i lived in Sunset and all hell broke loose i'd head out to the salt flats for a couple of weeks, let the mormon zombies take most of themselves out then make your way south after the cities die down some. just watch the walking dead, it's all you need to know:giggle:

SuperBuickGuy

I hate to say it, but the Hummer wouldn't be the rig of choice - it doesn't have the range or capacity.... this is my zombie rig

83 Chev pickup, 3/4 running gear, 6.2 turbo diesel, 45 gallon fuel capacity.... much simpler than the H3 and would get most of the way across Montana from my house in Seattle on one load of fuel.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
My H1s have a range of almost 500 miles. 42.5 gallons in capacity. With my Sceptors that adds another 290 miles to my range. I agree with Neo, the signs have been around for awhile.( massive debt, monetary devaluation, rising tensions, weakening military, ineffective/non-representative government) who knows if the idiots in Washington can get it turned around, I have seen no sign that they can. While we see the signs of decay, weakness, social change, etc we likely will just "suddenly" find ourselves in a chaotic situation. I recommend being well stocked and having contingency plans in place.

deserth3

I'm thinking Neo's right. That in part is why I started this thread.
Superbuickguy, I love those old Chevy Pickups. It's an awsome choice. But I only have the H3. So it's my primary choice of vehicle. I also have a couple of alternatives in mind. Just better off not putting those in writting.
If I could, I'd move to Moab in a second. And that has been on my mind. Just finding a job can be difficult especialy with some of my old injuries. Also have the 2 dogs to think about. Hans is a 130 pounds and Roxy is 70 pounds. They do take up a little bit of room.

deserth3

I also think we are lucky living in Utah. I hope there will be strong indications in other parts of the country before things get seriously bad here. Such as, Riots in New York and Chicago. Of course there is also our liberal media who's rainbow and lollipop attitude will gladly overlook many serious indicators and not report them.

SuperBuickGuy

In all seriousness, do any of you think that the government will be the one who suffers in times of mass casualty? while I appreciate the capabilities of myself, my armory and my vehicles; if someone wants it, if they're stronger, they'll have it. I get the rugged individualist nature of everyone (including me) here, but it won't be what you know or even what you have that will get you through - it'll be the number and loyalty of your friends that will make the difference - individualists taste great with ketchup.

and with that said - and not going to religion - but honestly, what I know to be true about the hereafter really makes all of the other stuff of lessor importance... that's what lets me sleep at night in the face of unpayable national debt, deaf politicians, and moral bankruptcy.

skeptic

I'm a big fan of that genre, movies, books, TV series. Not as much of the Zombie Apocalypse but I do enjoy the Walking Dead and some Z books. However, I do not believe we are on the verge of a catastrophic breakdown of society. Living in UT I think the best course of action would be to work together with friends, trusted neighbors, and family, not pack up and head for the hills. Now, if you have a fully stocked and prepared property somewhere away from it all then that's different. While it makes for good entertainment, I really don't buy into the idea that roving bands of armed militia will be the norm. Having guns for personal protection and knowing how to use them could be important.

I don't consider myself a prepper, but we do have a small portion of the basement set aside for emergency supplies with probably a month worth of food and a week or two of water. I don't have an arsenal, but I can arm everyone in my family with a rifle and a hand gun.

Unless the gov't can reverse the out of control spending and rising debt we are in for some hard times in the next decade. Inner cities, liberal "entitlement attitude" areas, etc. could get really bad, but places like UT would be much better off if we fall into another great depression.

Hey John, why do I not remember ever meeting Roxy?

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am a " sort of " prepper. Living in Texas (tornado and hurricanes) and SoCal ( fires, earthquakes, Rodney King ) I have seen too many situations where not being prepared could get uncomfortable at best if not outright dangerous. Simple things like an ice storm can disrupt power to people in the country for days to weeks. I don't see a complete societal breakdown coming or the zombie apocalypse but it is amazing how quickly societal norms get frayed after a Katrina or Rodney King type event. You better be able to take care of yourself and your family because the good guys are going to be plenty busy.
Personally I never met a zombie but I know a couple of people that may have inspired the stereotype. Weapons, ammo, shelter, clothing, transportation, food and water and proficiency in using what you need to acquire and use any of the above is important. Y'all be safe out there.

DJinCO

I am of the belief that before the tribulation, Jesus will call all believers up to Heaven. The tribulation is the time when there will be suffering and much pain.

I have a good supply to keep safe and sound in a natural disaster, and as a hedge against inflation. I don't worry about zombies.

skeptic

I have a good supply to keep safe and sound in a natural disaster, and as a hedge against inflation. I don't worry about zombies.
Natural disaster is the main reason we keep a small stash of emergency supplies. I'm the first to admit we need to increase our stash, I'd like to have 3 to 6 months of food, water, medicines, and a way to stay warm if something like a freak winter storm or other natural disaster shut down the entire region for an extended period of time.

deserth3

I've been slowly building up my stash. It's not big. But I also have no plans on staying here if things go bad. One thing I am considering is getting a tent trailer. It's lite enough to be easily pulled by the H3.

deserth3

Hey John, why do I not remember ever meeting Roxy?

LOL...Because we haven't gotten together for awhile. My schedule doesn't help. So here's Roxy. She's a black German shepherd and will be 2 years old in February. For those of who haven't met Hans, He's in the back. Roxy is down in front.

Attachments

• Hans and Roxy.jpg
    Hans and Roxy.jpg
    503.9 KB · Views: 197

LoJac963

I think our economic collapse is more worrisome than anything else. The rate of our debt increasing and nothing being done to stop or slow it down for that matter. We will eventually turn to a third world country if we don't stop spending then other countries will invade us for whatever resources we may have left. With a weakening military who knows if we can stop an invasion from some well developed countries. Especially with more and more testing and developing nuclear technology. Luckily the amount of weapons the citizens in this country have would hopefully stop anything from happening. I believe years ago a survey found over 80% of Americans own 2 or more firearms. I own far more than that in addition to a healthy ammo cache. If our government doesn't pull their heads out of their asses who knows what is going to happen.

abearden

The next 10-15 years will be interesting as the US falls from super-power status (unless we can do an about-face PDQ). Getting out of ground zero while I can, then going to focus on building up as fast as possible. Kinda weird to be reducing my supplies for the move. That said, I don't think Hummer circling will be required nationwide. It may be required in major cities as service demand outstrips resource supply.

Zombies are just a fun metaphor. If you're prepped for zombies, you can survive any natural disaster; minus bad luck.

abearden

I think our economic collapse is more worrisome than anything else. The rate of our debt increasing and nothing being done to stop or slow it down for that matter. We will eventually turn to a third world country if we don't stop spending then other countries will invade us for whatever resources we may have left. With a weakening military who knows if we can stop an invasion from some well developed countries. Especially with more and more testing and developing nuclear technology. Luckily the amount of weapons the citizens in this country have would hopefully stop anything from happening. I believe years ago a survey found over 80% of Americans own 2 or more firearms. I own far more than that in addition to a healthy ammo cache. If our government doesn't pull their heads out of their asses who knows what is going to happen.
Between personal arsenals and an operational nuclear program, I don't believe we're under threat of invasion any time soon. Well, maybe CA and a few states in the NE, but that would take cajones most countries don't have save China or Russia.

skeptic

How bad would it need to get before you left, and where would you go? I wouldn't be going anywhere unless things got REALLY bad. Like no more rule of law and society breakdown bad... In that case I'd try to get to my father's farm in OR. We'd need to figure out a way to get water from the well without electricity, and possibly find enough fuel to run the tractor for farming (or do it by hand), but otherwise it would be self sufficient at a survival level. I'd probably get tired of beef though, cattle is the only livestock they raise. Of course in that situation I'm sure we/they would be trading with their farming neighbors...

skeptic

LOL...Because we haven't gotten together for awhile. My schedule doesn't help. So here's Roxy. She's a black German shepherd and will be 2 years old in February. For those of who haven't met Hans, He's in the back. Roxy is down in front.
:thumbs:
Ya, we need to get out for some wheeling or camping this summer for sure. Your schedule, my work and all the damn summer projects the clients keep throwing as us every year.. Just when I thought we were getting to a good point with 4 US employees in our group we had to go through lay-offs again and we are back to 2. I guess I should be thankful I still have a job, but if we can't get our group at least one more permanent person or combine with another group it's going to be a sucky summer for me yet again.

deserth3

How bad would it need to get before you left, and where would you go? I wouldn't be going anywhere unless things got REALLY bad. Like no more rule of law and society breakdown bad... In that case I'd try to get to my father's farm in OR. We'd need to figure out a way to get water from the well without electricity, and possibly find enough fuel to run the tractor for farming (or do it by hand), but otherwise it would be self sufficient at a survival level. I'd probably get tired of beef though, cattle is the only livestock they raise. Of course in that situation I'm sure we/they would be trading with their farming neighbors...
When I couldn't get or go to work it would be past time to bug out. No matter where you go you need to be with like minded people. The more the better. Quite frankly with out many people there the farm can be quite vulnerable. I'd also look into running the well off solar power for short term and a windmill for long term.

You also should look at how far you have to go. How you get there, and how many other people have the same idea.

We need to sit down one evening and talk about some ot this.

Last edited:

skeptic

When I couldn't get or go to work it would be past time to bug out. No matter where you go you need to be with like minded people. The more the better. Quite frankly with out many people there the farm can be quite vulnerable. I'd also look into running the well off solar power for short term and a windmill for long term.

You also should look at how far you have to go. How you get there, and how many other people have the same idea.

We need to sit down one evening and talk about some ot this.
I'm quite confident my father doesn't buy into the prepper idea. My grandfather lives in a separate house on the property would be a great asset though. He has spent his entire life hunting and fishing, and was an evasion and extreme cold weather survival instructor (among other things) for the Marines.

I don't really buy into the full on prepper thing either, at least not like the people on "Doomsday Preppers" type shows. I'm more of the just in case type, and since I enjoy camping and shooting it's but a small step to expand it to general prepping. My wife is on-board, at least to a certain extent.

But yes, we should get together one evening and chat. I'm not sure which I need most, a kick in the pants to get me back on track, help and advice on what I should be doing, or another person or people to prep with.

SuperBuickGuy

I've always subscribed to the "go where everyone else doesn't want to go" method of survival. At this point, that's either Mexico or the Yukon Penn. I haven't decided which is worse, grizzlies or gangs.... both react the same when you attempt to negotiate with them.

deserth3

SBG good analogy. I'd pick the bears.

Skeptic, I look at it as prepare as you afford it. There s always the idiot who will criticize you. Saying you should have bought 101 rounds of ammunition when you only have 100 and that wasn't good enough. These idiots on TV have made themselves targets and the reality show has made them lo stupid.

If S really hits. Remember the normal American diet is least 2 times what we used to eat 100 years ago. If things go south put you and yours on half rations (or even quarter rations if you are just hunkering down and not doing much physical activity). If you have diabetes you can even go less than that and still survive quite well.

Oh Yeah... I don't believe in Zombies either. They just don't get insulted.