• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Place to off road close to Salt Lake?

High Five H2

I'm looking for some places to go off roading close to the Salt lake area. I sometimes go out to 5 mile pass or the BLM land east of Utah Lake, but those are kind of far. Are there any hills or anything that I can screw around in for a little while? There are some in Provo really close to my old house there and I could just cruise around in the hills for a bit on my way home.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know we have a number of members in the SLC area that have hit some fairly local trails. I am sure they will chime in shortly. While further away there are a number of us that will be in Moab for a week starting this weekend.

High Five H2

awesome, when is the moab trip? i may try to head down too. my 3 is totally stock, though. is there much i could do down in moab?

twinmill28

Spilled Milk
You can do alot of the trails in Moab with minimal risk of damage--alot of stuff has by passes that you can opt for if you're not comfortable. One of the best things I did while living there is go to the State Map Supply (not sure of name, but it's close) and buy a book on Moab trails. It'll give you lengths and trail ratings for each.
Of course you can always go to the Outpost (aka Neo's place) in Moab and fall in with a group doing daily runs. Those guys will learn you the ropes without letting you destroy your truck.
One thing you have to go watch the big boys do is Potato Salad hill; it's got to be the shortest obstacle there (just a hill), but it's intimidating as hell and I wouldn't do it in my 3. I saw several 2's have a go, and the 1's are a blast to watch.
As for trails in Salt Lake, I lived in the Layton area and used to go play in the Farmington Canyon area, there's some fun smaller stuff to get into, and some really nice trails to explore all up in the mountain. There was a guy on the forums I haven't seen in a long time, D1RK, that lives in American Fork that knows alot of the local trails as well.
There is a local forum for that area, can't remember the name right now, but alot of guys post up looking for people to run trails with them. I envy you in that area as there is alot of fun stuff to do around there.
Got it, it's called Rocky Mountain Extreme 4x4----- http://www.rme4x4.com/forum.php?
There are several forum members in the Ogden/Layton area that would probably be up for a run if you post up here.
Good luck!

Last edited:

twinmill28

Spilled Milk
Dude, RME saved my tail after I destroyed my front end on the mountain in Centerville--one of my buddies put out a post on RME for a wrecker and I had a flatbed out in less than 45 mins!
You need to maintain THAT particular forum presence if you're going to wheel around that area; lots of good folks there.

SkidRow

I interviewed for a position in Ogden on Monday, and I should know within the next week or two whether or not I got the job. If I do get it, I would love in the spring to run a few trails with you, twinmill (or anyone else nearby). I would be moving out there in late January or early February so I am assuming every trail is closed due to snow by then?

High Five H2

there's tons of off roading out there. unfortunately, I moved to west texas, the worst place in the world for off roading. check out RME4x4.com. it's a great 4x4 forum.