• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Transfer case engaging in 4 Hi

Azjohn

Hey Guys,

I tried searching for this issue, but no luck, pretty sure it was my search words, so sorry if this question has been posted before.
I recently changed out my transfer case with a 4:1 adventure model and now I'm having an issue where it is "switching" engaging in the 4 Hi lock mode. I notice it when pulling into or out of a parking space, the turning gets really stiff. I've switched the servo motor for the changing the transfer case modes, and also checked the operation of that piece by switching the modes with the servo off to check that it is turning correctly. Both the old one on my other transfer case and the one on my adventure case moved to the same points. I also switched modes several times (4 hi lock/ 4 lo lock/ neutral) and while stopped and moving slightly as the owners manual recommended. Also drove backwards while turning again as the manual recommened.

It doesnt' seem to be always locked in, but locks up time to time. Also no errors codes or issues with switching the modes. The history of the case I put in was a used one purchased from a wrecking yard, all looked fine with it, and it had less then 50k miles on the doner vehicle. Also from the same year (2007). Is there any reprogramming needed to do this swap or do I have a faulty transfer case?

Any feed back would be appreciated.

4speedfunk

So...do the proper buttons illuminate when the mode is changed? Sticking buttons are a common problem on H3's.

Can you switch modes? It should be real obvious if you are in 4HI-locked or 4LO-locked. It will be very hard to turn on pavement. If you can indeed switch modes, then I suspect the fork is okay.

If the 4HI-street button is lit, and you are binding (like its stuck in 4HI-locked)...the problem could be the viscous coupler inside the t-case. I had a similar problem and it seemed to happen at start-up...like the t-case was confused or something. It resolved itself after I cycled thru all three modes. I never did find out what caused it, and it hasn't done it for quite some time. Mine is an 08 Adv.Pak and its never been apart.

P.s. I have no idea what goes on in this crazy computerized t-case. Hope I never have to find out.

Last edited:

Azjohn

Yah I was able to switch modes no problem, so I dont' think the fork is broke. I'm guessing/hoping it's just the fact it sat for quite awhile with out fluid in it and it's just kind of sticking, the wrecking yard removes fluids from their parts, and it sat in my shed for about 5 months) I was going to switch it through the modes again to help work the mechinism a bit (And no I really don't have any idea how it works inside either, just kind of guessing that there is something that locks the front and rear when the 4Hi lock is engaged and this might be sticking)

Azjohn

I haven't tried that yet, but it appears to be switching fully. The position for 4 low lock is at about 3 oclock position on the solenoid (looking up side down motor up) the 4 hi unlock is about 6pm and the 4 hi lock is about 9pm. I would assume that if the motor wasn't turning the sensors on the position switch wouldn't see it switch and would error out. But again it's an assumption so I'll try that this weekend.

Azjohn

Quick update for the record for future reference, took it into the shop and turned out the shift fork was the plastic type, and wouldn't let it shift out of the 4 hi Lock. They changed it out with the metal fork and all is working fine now. It was hard to tell if it was a differential issue or the transfer case, but since it was shifting modes I didnt' think it was. Thanks for the feeback.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Glad you got it fixed, and glad it wasn't the suggestion that I was ready to make - your purse was hitting the switches when you reached up to adjust the rearview mirror. (FYI, that was a real cause on one person's truck, though I did doubt it could have been your issue)