• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

So...I'm going to do a SOA Conversion here soon...I'll keep you all updated

07Custom

Hey everyone, so for the longest time I've been a little bitch in regards to working on my truck. It's pretty cool, having a solid axle and front/rear lockers in it so I figured it's time to finally do something. I've been talking to 4speed for nearly a year and he's been putting up with my back and forth nonsense while I contemplated doing the conversion. He's a great guy, really intelligent and helpful. Kind of cool to see someone cares enough to do write ups and provide as much information as possible.

I ordered my parts a couple of days ago and am waiting on them. I'm also waiting on a pair of shackles from a forum member (thanks again man!). I know this thread is a little premature....like most activities in my life (haha :giggle: jk jk), but I just wanted to keep everyone updated. Chris (06 H3) did a great write up thread going over his adventures with the SOA so I figure I will try and do the same. I am running into minor issues with the welder and all but I will be picking apart 4speed's and 06 H3's brains until I get this thing done.

I will update this thread when my balls drop and I hack off my spring hangers! :cheers: See ya in a couple of weeks!

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Seems like 4speed did a good build and got the research out of the way for you - or, as I like to call it, trial and terror.

07Custom

thank you sir, I think I'll be good. I believe I understand the manual of procedures behind it. And if I can get my welder up to par, I trust my skills there as well...I'm nervously excited..I wish I could take a vacation from work and get this baby done!

07Custom

Seems like 4speed did a good build and got the research out of the way for you - or, as I like to call it, trial and terror.

No lies, 4speed is one badass dude. I'll build his ego up on this one. I can't tell you how helpful he's been...I know I'll be bothering him throughout this thing.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I'm excited your taking the leap! 4speed, bebe and speedy all helped me and 4speed has put together a nice list of steps for the how to. I also have the video I still need to send you for disassembly, and little tricks that I found when I did the project.

I'm still looking into your welder issues. First things first is to figure out the dryer plug and have it hooked up to your welder. As for the grounds and polarity Im still looking into it for you with online manuals for your welder. Worst comes to worst screw with the settings when it's right you can feel it, trust me on that one! Lol

Are you using flux or gas?

I hope this all goes well for you. If it does it should be a good confidence boost to start fixing the front end.

4speedfunk

I think those of us that have been brave enough to start choppin on their H3's can all agree...."The first cut is the hardest!"

After that...adrenaline and excitement take over. You will run into problems, and you will have to improvise to solve them. But once you're done with it you'll look back and agree that the hardest part of the entire project was just committing to that first cut. In the case of the SOA, its probably the most bang-for-your-effort mod you can do....and on 07custom's rig in particular, it will be correcting some issues that the previous owners created.

Last edited:

RamRod

Has anyone posted the parts list required to do the SOA?

I have read the write ups but haven't seen a parts list... I could also be blind

I am interested in doing this conversion in December (warranty is up then) So I'll be watching!

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I have made a parts list around here somewhere but I can't find it this is exactly what I sent to ken (07custom)

We talked he said he used ruffstuff parts which is what I used.

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com...de=25-PERCH&Category_Code=springperchantiwrap

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com...f&Product_Code=25GM-UPLT&Category_Code=ubolts

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com..._Code=SBRKT-3&Category_Code=shockbracketstabs

The u bolts can be bought on ruff stuff or your local auto store I forgot the dimensions on those. I would just take your existing set to a store and get some more

RamRod

That's not too bad!
Parts list.JPG

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Plus u bolts driveshaft and little things. Either way the cost is cheap compared to custom springs and the performance gain is much better

07Custom

I'm having an issue with my welder. I cannot find out how to connect it to my 220v dryer outlet. or if it can even be done. I've heard of people making extension cords with a welder receptacle on one end and a dryer plug on the other..but how do I do this?

frumaker

I run my welder off of my dryer outlet. I have a 3 prong dryer outlet so it wired up very easy. if you need I can take a pic of it and send it to you. I have never had an issue with this setup either.
I'm having an issue with my welder. I cannot find out how to connect it to my 220v dryer outlet. or if it can even be done. I've heard of people making extension cords with a welder receptacle on one end and a dryer plug on the other..but how do I do this?

4speedfunk

Yeah wait until your 100% done to fiddle with the driveshaft, (same for the bump stops). The stock slip-yoke is a monster...probably 10" long. So you got plenty of extra to work with. Depending on where your axle ends up sitting and also on how much lift your SOA gives you.....you may end up leaving it alone. It will be different on each truck. Also...remember 07custom's truck has already had plenty of torch-time, so he is dealing with other previous mods that a stock H3 won't have.

07Custom

So, I was messing around with my welding mask trying to adjust settings and I figured...."what the heck....why do I need jeans and a long sleeve...I'm not ACTUALLY WELDING." Well it took me about 30 min. to go through all of the settings and guess what....I'm so damn burned it's ridiculous my left arm and shin are BRIGHT RED and the skin is tight.

Guess that's the last time I ever do that. Horrible!

SuperBuickGuy

Ive welded in sandals before...not one of my better moments thats for sure.

Sandals are fine, as long as their not the soft-rubber sole'd ones.... slip-on shoes while wearing shorts... not so bright
The trick is to keep your tanned side aimed at the torch. Most people are so hunched over their work that the light side ends up facing the weld... and sunburns happen.

However, I've been welding for something like 30 years, so tricks do come with the trade - that said, I still, on occasion, grab a just-welded part with my bare hands - then 30 years of trades cussing occurs

RamRod

Ohio should show you guys a burn I got from welding a back door latter for my Xterra..... Fml that was the last time welding in a Teeshirt!

Oh and it's not a "sun burn" the weld fell on my arm

4speedfunk

I occasionally get a pop that lands on my shoe and tunnels thru the tongue...thru my sock...thru the skin on the top of my foot...eventually getting quenched by the meat below the surface. There's no way you can un-tie your shoe and get to it in time...so you just learn to grit your teeth and ignore that "barbeque smell". Burn holes in flesh take forever to heal.

You're gonna love welding those new hangers on! Flat on your back...welding over head. That's about as fun as it gets.

07Custom

haha I'm looking forward to it! Jk. But, does anyone have a pair of shackles? Or know where to get some. The kind forum member sent me a different part and I'm still needing shackles. I've already dropped the tank!

silvrzuki77

Or leaning against a roll cage that you just welded to get to another spot and then smelling your arm burn before you feel it lol.