• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

What to look for when Buying a H2?

Sennin

I have an itch to upgrade my stock double cab Mazda BT 50 to a Hummer H2T (I prefer the T).

What are critical things to look out for, considering that I live in South Africa that is Right Hand drive?

I already know of two types of left to right hand drive conversions, the belt and chain steering swop, chain one is the recommended one.
My 2nd concern is the seating position, Im not too tall, 1.9m, but with the seat moved to the furthest rear position, my leg (front mussle) hurts from the awkward position, its almost as if the seat needs to be moved 2 inches backwards for a comfy sit down, dont know if the left had drive owners can comment on this?

Anyhow back to the question.

What is well known problems on H2's to look out for, takin in mind I'm looking at 2006 model 6.0 V8 with 90,000km (56,000 Miles) on the clock for R 560,000 ($ 54,900) this is so far the cheapest option available.

Edit: The ones I test drove had the rear diflock by the radio. I assume this is the Adventure package? or how would I be able to distinguish between them?

:thumbs:

Last edited:

twinmill28

Spilled Milk
H2's all have rear diff lock standard. The Adventure package will have the air suspension set-up, which is another button below the diff lock and trailer tow buttons; if there's a blank spot then it doesn't have the air. If it does have air suspension, you could push the button once with the truck running and ALL doors closed and the ass of the truck will raise itself about a foot--it'll be noticeable. Once it's done going up, you can shut the truck off and have a walk around and check to make sure it looks level and seems to be holding.
Some guys here will say the side mirrors tend to have problems, but there's not much you can do to prevent this. Just check all functions to make sure they work, then center the mirror left/right switch and push the mirror adjust button. One click will make both mirrors fold in and another click will have them power back out.
Another common issue is the small switch lights on the steering wheel, dash and doors tends to burn out randomly. Once again, nothing can prevent this, and it's just mildly annoying, but it's known to happen.
Others will chime in, but I can't think of anything else right off the top. The H2 is justifiably a great vehicle to drive and reliability is really good in my experience.
Hope you find the right one!

autumn walker

My biggest issue is the water leak from the front of the truck.

Also the front inner axle seals are known to go, but this is common across all GM trucks. You can easily spot this by looking where the outer axle shaft meets the inner housing (look beside the inner axle boot) - you will see a flange with bolts - check for oil around it.

Both things being said - this is a hell of a truck and the issues are easily resolved.

mmesa005

Put the H2 on a lift and check the front wheel bearings, ball joints, tie rods. At that age they can be fairly worn. You will see on YouTube several videos about the H2/GM 1500/2500 truck's of the same era having the wheel bearing issue.

Reaper550

Wheel bearings - they will need to be upgraded especially if off roading, go with Timken wheel bearing assemblies and you'll be good for quite a while.
Shocks - likely with age and or mileage will need replaced.
Belts & tensioners for the belts, these will let go over time, especially on the AC compressor.
Alignment - if its out it will wear tires pretty bad.
Electrical system - check all the lights both on start up and once driven around for awhile, they develop personalities sometimes.
Water intrusion - check passenger floorboard carpet at the top of the footwell for evidence of mold build up from past leaks.