Welcome to the H4O - HUMMER 4x4 Off Road.
    Street Tire
    Thanks

What to look for when Buying a H2?

I have an itch to upgrade my stock double cab Mazda BT 50 to a Hummer H2T (I prefer the T).

What are critical things to look out for, considering that I live in South Africa that is Right Hand drive?

I already know of two types of left to right hand drive conversions, the belt and chain steering swop, chain one is the recommended one.
    My 2nd concern is the seating position, Im not too tall, 1.9m, but with the seat moved to the furthest rear position, my leg (front mussle) hurts from the awkward position, its almost as if the seat needs to be moved 2 inches backwards for a comfy sit down, dont know if the left had drive owners can comment on this?

Anyhow back to the question.

What is well known problems on H2's to look out for, takin in mind I'm looking at 2006 model 6.0 V8 with 90,000km (56,000 Miles) on the clock for R 560,000 ($ 54,900) this is so far the cheapest option available.

Edit: The ones I test drove had the rear diflock by the radio. I assume this is the Adventure package? or how would I be able to distinguish between them?

Last edited by Sennin; 07-01-2013 at 04:12 AM.
    2010 Hummer H3 V8 Adventure:
    INSTALLED: 35" Kumho KL71, Cranked Torsion Bars, ARB Bullbar, Warn 9500XP winch, Lightforce 240 HID spots, Bullydog Watchdog, aftermarket TPMS, Safari Snorkel, African Outback Roofrack, Performance exhaust and headers

STILL TO BE RE INSTALLED: custom UC skidplate, Hunner skids, dual battery system, load bay box and MANY more to come

Spilled Milk
    Thanks
    H2's all have rear diff lock standard. The Adventure package will have the air suspension set-up, which is another button below the diff lock and trailer tow buttons; if there's a blank spot then it doesn't have the air. If it does have air suspension, you could push the button once with the truck running and ALL doors closed and the ass of the truck will raise itself about a foot--it'll be noticeable. Once it's done going up, you can shut the truck off and have a walk around and check to make sure it looks level and seems to be holding.
    Some guys here will say the side mirrors tend to have problems, but there's not much you can do to prevent this. Just check all functions to make sure they work, then center the mirror left/right switch and push the mirror adjust button. One click will make both mirrors fold in and another click will have them power back out.
    Another common issue is the small switch lights on the steering wheel, dash and doors tends to burn out randomly. Once again, nothing can prevent this, and it's just mildly annoying, but it's known to happen.
    Others will chime in, but I can't think of anything else right off the top. The H2 is justifiably a great vehicle to drive and reliability is really good in my experience.
    Hope you find the right one!
    Quote Originally Posted by rascole View Post
    I'm pretty anal when it comes to poking holes in the wrong place.

All Terrain
    Thanks
    My biggest issue is the water leak from the front of the truck.

Also the front inner axle seals are known to go, but this is common across all GM trucks. You can easily spot this by looking where the outer axle shaft meets the inner housing (look beside the inner axle boot) - you will see a flange with bolts - check for oil around it.

Both things being said - this is a hell of a truck and the issues are easily resolved.
    2007 HUMMER H2
    You have not been offroad until you've had a HUMMER in the woods.

Blacksheep HUMMER Squadron : GREAT WHITE NORTH
    Taking the Blacksheep international.

Street Tire
    Thanks
    Thanks Guys, this info is really helpfull , please keep it coming
    2010 Hummer H3 V8 Adventure:
    INSTALLED: 35" Kumho KL71, Cranked Torsion Bars, ARB Bullbar, Warn 9500XP winch, Lightforce 240 HID spots, Bullydog Watchdog, aftermarket TPMS, Safari Snorkel, African Outback Roofrack, Performance exhaust and headers

STILL TO BE RE INSTALLED: custom UC skidplate, Hunner skids, dual battery system, load bay box and MANY more to come