• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Search and Rescue H3 Alpha build

RamRod

better yet - buy them from schwarttzy. Material cost alone is easily 1/2 what he's selling his rails for. Add to that cost, a tube bender, chop saw, MIG welder and the consumables and his rails are a pretty good deal. That said, the DOM tube I used was remnants from a roll cage I built; and the hitch stock was from another project so those bits were already paid for.... but truly, if you don't have the steel or any one of the tools - have it built. With my tube bender, an Eastwood, I had to learn several things: 1) it doesn't bend 90* in one stroke, and you will need to practice to get a smooth 90* bend (at 2.00/ft for material), 2) the jack that comes with the bender is crap, 3) the location of the pivot really stresses the jack, so you have to reweld that pivot to keep from having to buy jacks by the gross...

If only he had a production line for the T... But I have all the tools as my disposal, and shipping from the US into Can would add over $200 more to my final bill.

I'll stick with making my own, that's half the fun!!

SuperBuickGuy

I agree, I love saying "I built it"

Needed a fuel can carrier

needed to do a bit of modifying

I have a bike rack that mounts to my tire - I use the holder for all manner of things - including, now, my fuel tank

in retrospect, I think I'll build this again; I don't like a couple things about it, and it'll also be a good foundation for a rack on top of my tire....

SuperBuickGuy

Yep, masterpull :)

I was getting very tired of plugging the winch controller into the winch... it was a pain, but saw on Amazon.com that a remote controller could be had for $37.00... sold

the new controller is the little box... I simply spliced into the winch controller plug

and my SAR experience has educated me on what I want in a rack... low profile, strong (able to stand on it), and a good mount for the lights that protect the lights from branches

basic lay out

bottom half tacked together

what is kind of a pause, though, there's a really good metal fab shop literally just up the street from me - I'd love to have him build this for me; but my wife would then question why I have my shop.... and we just can't have that :cheers:

oh yeah, and it costs at least $1,200 to have one built

SuperBuickGuy

Have the NC Tune installed, first impression is it shifts more firmly and hold the gear better (less hunting). It also seems to have a more responsive throttle... I'm recording data and will send them a couple files after a day or two to see about narrowing in on the perfect tune.... of course, I also have it completely unloaded right now because I'm building the rack; so I may have to wait a bit before I send them data - I want to send them a loaded v. unloaded recording of the tune... after all, it's at least 200-400 lbs of gear that I carry for SAR; and that might affect it a little bit (though, in vehicle percentage, it's only 1% of the weight).

SuperBuickGuy

That rack is coming along well!

What are your plans to cover the top (if you are) expanded metal?

I haven't decided, nor have I decided whether or not the side rails will be the boxes that I'm going to build once my brake is hooked up and has dies (call it an even month until I get that accomplished).

The issue with the expanded metal is it's impossible to clean - I need to make the rack as low as physically possible so it clears places I need to go, so if I put expanded metal; I'll have to remove the rack to wash the roof. OTOH, it's easier to walk on and stronger with expanded metal... so I dunno, I may simply paint it and do a second step with some kind of flooring and side rails - or I may put rails on then cut them off when I mount the roof boxes (16x52x6 - 2 of them 1 for the hi lift and recovery gear, the other for tools, chains and everything else I need to carry that can get damp)

SuperBuickGuy

a bit of background. we have a list of required, and optional equipment we are to have on our SAR vehicles. I don't think we're AAA; however, I was outvoted so I carry gas because it's required. The can and rack are only on by vehicle when I'm responding to missions or going to meetings. Thus, it doesn't have to be permanent, terribly theft proof (I'm never far from it when I'm on missions or meetings), is secure (won't fall off) and needs to be removeable.

the rack came from Amazon.com (iirc smittybilt)
I had to modify the rack to cover the gas can lid - it's certainly not perfect, but keeps the stupid thieves away (if you pull hard enough, the entire strap comes undone and you can steal the entire gas can)

the gas can from Harbor Freight (and yes, made in USA - go figure)
welded two pieces to the back to adapt to the carrier

note one thing in the picture, I kinked the 1 1/4" tube to get a tight fit....

I'll snap a picture of the carrier tomorrow.... can't help much on who built it - I bought it off craigslist several years ago - but it is pretty generic; and I suspect it wouldn't be too hard to find the mount

Last edited: