• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Bought my first gun.

H3DONIST

M&Ps are great guns. I shot the .40 at the range the other week and it will definitely be my next handgun. It felt perfect in my hand and I was extremely accurate with it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

I just put 70 rounds through my gun today at the range and it was very comfortable. I didn't have any grip issues. I just have a problem keeping the 3 dots lined up on my target, but I'm sure that will come with time, considering I've never shot a handgun before.

H3DONIST

There's always this option - see the guy isn't printing anywhere!
fannypaack.jpg

I will open carry, before I go that route. :giggle:

Trevon

Excellent choice. I completely agree with your opinion on glocks; I HATE holding them, righteously uncomfortable and cheap feeling, at least to me. I have a full size M&P40 and love it. Most comfortable gun I own. I keep it in my truck but do often concealed carry it and I'm only 5'8" and 170lbs, works just fine in the waist line of my back.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am not a Glock fan either but pistols are a highly personalized choice. I know lots of people that love their Glocks.

H3DONIST

I am not a Glock fan either but pistols are a highly personalized choice. I know lots of people that love their Glocks.

Very true. I know Glocks are great guns, that are reliable and have been proven to just work, but that grip...you either love it or hate it.

H3DONIST

Add Nano to that list. I tried all of those other than the PF9 when looking for my carry gun. My decision came down to the Shield vs. Nano, and I was lucky enough to be able to shoot both at the same time, going back and forth between them. The Shield is arguably the better gun, certainly a better range gun, and is available in .40 if that matters. The Shield has the standard external safety and external slide lock, with a short crisp trigger. The Nano has no external safety (just the trigger safety), no external slide lock, and a longer but not too long trigger pull. To over generalize it, the Shield is more 1911 cocked and locked like where the Nano is Glock-ish in it's operation. The Nano is also a bit smaller. Ultimately I decided if I was ever in a high stress situation where I felt the need to pull my gun for protection, I would want a longer trigger pull and would not want to deal with a safety. The trigger on the Shield really is short enough I wouldn't be comfortable carrying it with the safety off. I'm quite happy with my Nano and if I had to do it over I'd go with the Nano again, but the Shield is nice and would make a great carry gun as well. Really more of which style you want, as they are very different.

Whatever you decide, do yourself a favor and do not buy the LC9 without shooting one first. The trigger is so long and breaks so far back if almost feels like you have to press your finger against the base of your thumb. Exaggeration of course, but I went from "this is the one I think I'm going to buy" to "wow, I really hate this thing" after shooting one magazine. I know some people like theirs, or claim they get used to it and it's not an issue, but of every gun I've ever shot this is the only one where I thought the trigger was too bad to even consider.

If you really want to pocket carry let me throw a couple things out. First, get a pocket holster, maybe a nice Remora or something. Second, even the smallest 9mm pistols are pushing it as a pocket gun - a .380 may be a better option and there are some really nice pocket .380s out there.

Quick update. I ended up getting a Shield 9mm and I really like it. I couldn't find any Nano's in my area and honestly, I didn't look too hard, because I was pretty set on getting the Shield.

I've only put one box of rounds through it so far, but I am really happy with how it shoots and the recoil is pretty similar to my full size M&P. I also have a IWB holster on order, for me to carry it in. It's like the Crossbreed SuperTuk design, but made by www.Ridgidholsters.com.

Last edited:

DirtyxGlove

congrats ! good choice for your first CC :thumbs: i wouldn't recommend those hydra shoks...federal fmj have always been fantastic target loads but the hydras gave me problems with expansion in 2 different boxes...i would put anyones life on Speer Gold Dots if i had to choose. just a recommendation is all.

H3DONIST

congrats ! good choice for your first CC :thumbs: i wouldn't recommend those hydra shoks...federal fmj have always been fantastic target loads but the hydras gave me problems with expansion in 2 different boxes...i would put anyones life on Speer Gold Dots if i had to choose. just a recommendation is all.

Yeah, I bought those hydra-shoks before I really did any research on SD ammo. I now have some Federal HST 147gr rounds for my EDC. I would like to have the +P, but I can't find any.

Last edited:

whiteflamingo

I already have my CCW and have been shopping for a small conceal gun as well as some .22 rifles for my kids, so they can go shooting with me. lol

If you're still looking for a .22 for your kids the Ruger 10/22 is a great gun. I got mine when I was eight and have always loved shooting it. My dad has had his for over forty years and it runs like new still. If money is a factor Chiappa makes the Little Badger, a break open .22 that goes for around $150. The Ruger is pretty easy to find, but I've only seen the Chiappa a few times.