• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Why is the rated towing capacity of the H2 so low?

autumn walker

So I must have been delusional in thinking that the H2 was rated for 9,600 lbs... I did a double check last night and it's only 6,700 lbs!

A 2500HD with what I assumed has similar running gear will do over 10k. What makes the H2 rating so low? Is there anything that can be done to improve it?

Fish

The shorter wheel base doesnt help either..all things being equal ( excpet wheel base ) the H3T is rated to tow more than the H3.

autumn walker

Even the 2008 / 2009 generation can do 8,200 lbs - I assume they weigh the same as the 2003 - 2007 trucks and have the same wheelbase.

Obviously they have the 6.2L motor and 3.73 gearing. Do they have the 4L80e trans?

twinmill28

Spilled Milk
The 08-09 H2's have the 6L80 transmission, 6 speed. When I was picking out my deuce, my service manager suggested going with 07 or older for the towing he knew I was going to do. Sure, you get increased tow capacity in the newer trucks, but he said alot of his customers had complaints about how much the new ones shifted while towing. Apparantly, it was pretty annoying.
Alot of the rated capacity has to do with weight, engine, gears & 4WD set-up (full-time). I'm still trying to sort out an SUT owners opinion of towing with his diesel converted deuce. He said it still wasn't ideal, which I don't get--you should be able to tow comfortably up to 10K.
But in short--no you can't improve the towing capacity of the deuce short of going diesel, and then you won't know what you're rated to.

My belief is if you want to tow heavy loads, buy an old station wagon, those suckers could pull a fully loaded tractor trailer while loaded with luggage and 5 kids!!!

autumn walker

I'm still trying to sort out an SUT owners opinion of towing with his diesel converted deuce. He said it still wasn't ideal, which I don't get--you should be able to tow comfortably up to 10K.

This is something I was looking into as well; however, none of the companies list increased towing capacity as a benefit and none give any sort of figure. My concern with where I live would be registering the truck - they were never offered as a diesel and the registered weight would have to change as well. Likely be hard to do here.

Not to mention the price of a diesel conversion - I'd be better off buying a new 2500HD! I wonder what is actually involved in the swap if I were to go DIY? The electronics are the only part that I'm unsure about - the mechanical aspects are simple.

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
08' with 37/38" tires and OEM gears constantly shifts 4-5-6 at 70-75 mph in 6th I run 1400rpm

mudbug

trail blazer
Another reason the H2 is rated low is the rear coil springs or air susp. is not rated for heavy loads. If u could add air assist to the coil springs that would help so the susp. won't sag under a load. I know my h2 squats pretty good under hard accleration course I'm running a fabtech lift so I don't know how soft the rear springs are and can't remember how it drove stock. Adding a heavy duty cooling package to the trans and re-gear would help too. But the H2 really wasn't design to be a great tow rig anyway.

Fish

Another reason the H2 is rated low is the rear coil springs or air susp. is not rated for heavy loads. If u could add air assist to the coil springs that would help so the susp. won't sag under a load. I know my h2 squats pretty good under hard accleration course I'm running a fabtech lift so I don't know how soft the rear springs are and can't remember how it drove stock. Adding a heavy duty cooling package to the trans and re-gear would help too. But the H2 really wasn't design to be a great tow rig anyway.

not sure why you think the air suspension would detract from the towing ability. I think it adds to the towing capability. When I have my trailer fully loaded the rear pumps itself back to level and the ride is ridiculously nice. Up until a few months ago I didn't even bother with a weight distribution hitch due to the airbags. The air bags are a lot more durable than most people think. Just about every semi has air bags now so that must be a testament to their durability. I'm no expert but IMO they work great!

mudbug

trail blazer
Airbags are great to tow with in fact the rear air susp. on the h2 will probably tow better than the coil spring susp. I think gm intended the air susp be more for comfort than for towing.
Hey autumn walker how much are you planing on towing and for how frequent and the distance being towed?

autumn walker

Well, what I will be towing most often is a small camper trailer which is under the tow rating of the H2.

I have been towing quite a few vehicles around lately though and I have been really pushing it as far as weights are concerned. We have a "recovery trailer" which itself weighs 2,500 lbs. Throw a buggy or woods rig onto the back of that and you're over 7,000 lbs.

Alto red eagle power pack clutch:
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/6l80e_performance_transmissions_torque_converters_parts_6l90e.htm
Level 10 PTS bulletproof rebuild kit:
http://www.levelten.com/GM_car_performance_transmission_upgrades_s/36.htm
Also look into upgrading the torque converter.
Circle D's Custom Billet 4-5-6 hub & shaft assembly.
http://www.circledtrans.com/6l80e_6l90e_information.php
This will help with weight distribution, you also have to take into account that the H2 has no leaf springs and this is why the load capabilities drop.
http://www.eaz-lift.com/eazlift/products.html
All of these upgrades help in their own way, but as far as increasing towing capabilities look into this product.
http://www.acchitchhelper.com/

Last edited:

Firesquirt

There are many things that set the GVWR of any vehicle besides the springs holding the vehicle. The axles themselves have a rating as well as the tires and chassis and your brakes. the weight it set by the manufacturer based on the strongest weight bearing components and the weaker weight bearing components. Also remember the most wight that can be applied to the roadway by any vehicle is 75lbs, per square inch as well. That is why a big rig has so many tires, the more tires the the vehicle has, the more surface area contacts the road, the more weight that can be added to the vehicle within the limits of the vehicle itself.

So in the end, if you want to increase your load bearing capacity you will ned to find out which components are the cause of the limitation i.e. the brakes and chassis mounts etc. then you improve those components, you can then have the vehicle re-certified to the new weight ratting or you can remove un needed parts from your vehicle so that you may add more payload within the GVWR.

autumn walker

That is a good article, very succinct. Unfortunately I have a 2007 which is not the same as a 2008 as this article was written for.

Boricua760

Probationary Member
It's because is too heavy and underpowered for the size. A solution to this is have your transmission rebuilt with better clutches design to tow and an additional extra trans cooler. I'm able to tow my 30' race enclosed trailer with 2 buggys and 2 dirt bikes in towing mode for A total of 8500 lbs. It does struggle a little bit up the hills but is way better than with the stock tranns and it cost me around $ 1400.