• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Buying an H3

amrg

My friend is currently in the process of buying a used 09 H3 Lux with roughly 53K kms, thats about 33K miles. After a thorough inspection, by a licensed automotive inspection company, and me :D , Ive got the following list of items that need taking care off:

1. Diff cross member bushing - easy fix, PCF cross member fix is a no brainer, just need to see how can I sort it out since he is an international buyer
2. Front shocks - level and replace them with bilsteins, problem solved
3. Front suspension bushings - need to be taken care off while replacing shocks
4. Steering rack abit lose - Again, PCF long awaited solution
5. Front brake pads - replace with new ones

Now for the more serious/Im not too sure off stuff

6. The rear engine oil seal (located between the gearbox/engine) - I believe the entire transmission needs to be dropped in order to have this replaced. Are there other items that I should look at in the process?
7. Rear leaf spring bushings - I believe the entire leaf needs to be replaced, not just the bushing, yes?
8. ABS system pressure - I'm not too sure but the inspector told me this needs to be looked at as braking seems to be harder.

Besides the above, the car has no scratches/dents/paintwork/bodywork done to it. Engine output at 94%, Just did a major service at 50 K (31 K miles). However from underneath I could tell one of the nerf bars took a hit, and there are some scruff marks on the transmission cross member. I took a picture of it, just would like your input on whether that member is bent or not.

photo.JPG

To me it seems fine, but many of you guys can tell much more. Im worried that the oil seal leak is caused by some sort of damage of this part as to just usual wear and tear. (I havent replaced those on either of my vehicles and I got abit more mileage on one of them, and double the mileage on the other)

I'm very excited I'm getting someone to buy a Hummer, I just don't want in all my excitement to get him to buy the wrong one. Anyway, whatever the cost to fix the truck is obviously taken out of the price of the truck, I just need to know what to expect for some of the items.

amrg

Im sorry that was the only pic I took, I did play abit with the image to make it brighter. Hope it helps.

image.jpg

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Looks like it may be a bit bent but not enough to be an issue.

Rear leaf springs - you can remove the springs and press in new OEM bushings.
ABS system pressure - this is an electric system. Not sure why ABS in particular could be an issue unless you are getting warning lights or other odd behavior. I would go through the brakes, make sure each caliper is working properly and that the pads are all in good shape.

amrg

No warning lights inside, inspector said that means its not malfunctioning, however, from the test drive he claimed the brake pedal seems to be very heavy in order to engage the brakes.

Any idea on the rear engine oil seal? Do I just need to drop the transmission or is there something else I need to remove? Inspector claimed I need to do some engine programming once the job is done, is that true?