• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Base Radio Left Channel Quit

Doc Olds

Howdy gang, I just noticed on the way in to work today that my 2007 Base Stereo now only has the left tweeter, both doors are silent. I am out of bumper to bumper so the fix is mine. Just wondering if any of you have had your radios go. I also think it is wierd that the tweeter still works but no sound in the front or rear left doors.

I faded and balance adjusted and that is what is left. The radio has never been pulled except to install an Ipod interface over 3 years ago (even then there is no need to unplug anything) and it is still the bone stock virgin system in place otherwise. Everything else works.

I know radios cook just like any other electronic item can, my last truck had the radio display fry and it would only come on whenever it damn well felt like it, so you stayed on whatever station and volume it was set at until you got lucky and display controls showed up. Needless to say, it wasn't long before a Kenwood went in the dash.

Question: Is the tweeter circuit seperate from the regular left side channel? I don't want to spend the time and $$ on a new DD head unit if my problem is in wiring outside the base stereo if you know what I mean.

Thanks.

Doc Olds

OK, I found a diagram and from what is shows the base stereo unit there is no separate tweeter feed. So......, the other posibility is both left speakers blew? .... at the same time or almost same time???? (not likely), but in the past, every time a I have delt with a blown speaker, it still made noise, it just sounded like sheet. So I will try to test the left F&R out.

Last edited:

08SolarFlareH3

Super Swampers
Check the resistance of the speakers at there terminals with a DMM. My guess is it should be around 4-16 ohms. Then check the resistance of the speakers using the harness that plugs into the radio. This should tell you (A) if the speakers are good and (B) if you have a break or short in the wiring from the HU to the speakers.

Last edited:

Doc Olds

I'll do that this weekend, I'm thinking it will show two dead speakers. I also have an old boat stereo speaker around home somewhere that I could jump from the door speaker lead to see what happens if my anolog electrical meter doesn't have me convinced.

Doc Olds

Yep....... dead speakers. Radio is fine. Just replaced the front one with a pioneer 3 way. Sounds so much better than the OEMs I'm gonna swap out the rest of them.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Glad to hear it was a simple fix. That's what you get for blasting Lady Gaga at full volume! :wink:

M

MUTAINT

DOC, gotta turn the Seger and "Rasta" music down a bit!

But now you have new speakers, so turn it up!!!!!!!!:horns:

Last edited by a moderator:

IndyHummers

Yeah, I'll be swapping out speakers soon also I think. I'll get nothing from a couple and then allvof a sudden one will pop in and sound fine? What could that be?