• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Plastic shift fork

Reloader

We took in a nice 06 H3 last week on trade and we decided to set it up for our budget lot. I tried to get them to wholesale it as I would have bought it for the wife to drive and get rid of her BMW. They kept it even though it has the original head on the engine. We have been burned on these and also on the 4.2 6 cylinders in the Trailblazers. Its a mall cruiser and probably never been offroad.
Anyways the transfer case wouldn't go into hi lock . Told them what it could be and they said fix it. Heres some pics of the case opened up on the bench. These are real easy to work on. Truck on hoist. I love the color red on these. Its a base with stick on chrome mirrors and door handles. Tacky. photo-13.JPG

Plastic fork still in case.photo-9.JPG

To remove the fork you just pull up the shaft that holds both the forks in place.

New fork vs old plastic one. See how the plastic melts/wears away causing the hi lock collar not to engage properly.photo-11.JPG

I also discovered the oil pump suction hose was split at the screen end so we had to order one. The fork was in stock at the dealer. They are still replacing them. So many H3s around here probably never see hi lock not to mention lo lock.photo-7.JPG

All that crud on the screen is from the shift fork I think. Warranty time on this is about 1.8 hr. A tech who has done several could probably do the job in an hour start to finish including case r/r. Took me about 2.5 hr total work time once all parts showed up. Customer pay time is 3.5hr. You need to be carefull of the pin in the end of the shift cam shaft as it can get snapped off while sliding case halves together if things are not lined up (Yes I know this from experience). This case was one of those that you fill and then add .25ltr of fluid through the speed sensor hole to get the proper amount of dexron-6 in it. Thought you might like to see what causes the no lock problem in an early H3. My 08 needed this done at about 30K as it was an early production 08 but had warranty cover it.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Thanks for this, I will be pulling my old 2.64 case apart and rebuild it one of these days This may help as I am sure things are starting to wear.

deserth3

Had my shift fork changed a couple of years ago. If you have to pay for it yourself it comes to about $600.00, if my memory serves me right.

Link Statetech

Probationary Member
Anyone know someone in Illinois closer to western suburbs of Chicago whom will replace this for a decent price.
I have called 3 different places and all are in the thousands to replace shift fork.
I keep hearing online 3 - 5 billable hours but i can find a shop for that type of money/hours to do this.

AlaskaDan

When removing the transfer case which bolts get removedd. There is like aadapter between the tranny and transfer. Does the adapter stay on the tranny or the transfer.

digglesworth

The adapter stays on the transmission. There's 5 bolts holding the t-case. Pull the encoder motor off to slide it rearward, then drop the front down and out.