• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Homeland Security buys 2717 Light Tanks

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Obama DHS Purchases 2,700 Light-Armored Tanks to Go With Their 1.6 Billion Bullet Stockpile

Posted by Jim Hoft on Sunday, March 3, 2013, 9:55 PM

This is getting a little creepy.
According to one estimate, since last year the Department of Homeland Security has stockpiled more than 1.6 billion bullets, mainly .40 caliber and 9mm.
DHS also purchased 2,700 Mine Resistant Armor Protected Vehicles (MRAP).

Modern Survival Blog reported:
The Department of Homeland Security (through the U.S. Army Forces Command) recently retrofitted 2,717 of these ‘Mine Resistant Protected’ vehicles for service on the streets of the United States.
Although I’ve seen and read several online blurbs about this vehicle of late, I decided to dig slightly deeper and discover more about the vehicle itself.
The new DHS sanctioned ‘Street Sweeper’ (my own slang due to the gun ports) is built by Navistar Defense (NavistarDefense.com), a division within the Navistar organization. Under the Navistar umbrella are several other companies including International Trucks, IC Bus (they make school buses), Monaco RV (recreational vehicles), WorkHorse (they make chassis), MaxxForce (diesel engines), and Navistar Financial (the money arm of the company).
DHS even released a video on their newly purchased MRAPs.
Via Pat Dollard:

The MRAP featured in this video is was in Albuquerque, New Mexico for Law Enforcement Day which was held at a local area Target Store. This MRAP is stationed in El Paso, Texas at The Homeland Security Investigations Office. MRAP is a Mine Resistant Armor Protected Vehicle.

Anybody read where the mission of Homeland Security has changed? This is getting "interesting". Unless they are all being deployed to our Southern border to stop illegal immigration, which we know wouldn't happen under this administration, I can think of know legitimate reason for an agency whose primary mission is security within the borders of the country to have 2717 MRAPS.

ArtHummer

hhmmm-hmmm. It will be used for the border patrol. They will park it on the border line so illegal immigrants will not be able to cross the border... instead of the wall.

This is just getting ridicules.

Jrkilburn

They are to be given to the Reserves and National Guard. Modifications made to them is needed for use on US public highways for training purposes.

The MRAPs that are currently overseas are staged throughout friendly nations for future operations in controlled storage. It is cheaper than shipping and maintaining them back here stateside.

New purchases are intended to field the vehicles for driver and crew training by the reserve component and backfill the active component rebuild cycles.

abearden

They are to be given to the Reserves and National Guard. Modifications made to them is needed for use on US public highways for training purposes.

The MRAPs that are currently overseas are staged throughout friendly nations for future operations in controlled storage. It is cheaper than shipping and maintaining them back here stateside.

New purchases are intended to field the vehicles for driver and crew training by the reserve component and backfill the active component rebuild cycles.
Correct me if i'm wrong but if that were the case they should go through the DOD, no? DHS makes it seem like they'll be driven by the TSA.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Totally understand the pre-positioning of equipment closer to potential future flashpoint sites but the military would buy their own MRAPS for training purposes. Why would Homeland Security buy them if they were for military training purposes?

Paladine71

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
That would be like saying that the DHS is buying ammo for the military too, despite the DoD having its own supply chains and contracts. It's just not the way things are done. If the DHS had extra money that the DoD needed, they would just transfer the money to the DoD and let them make the purchases according to their own needs and standards. They would also not mark them with DHS emblems. Make no mistake, these are for the DHS, not the DoD.

Jrkilburn

I see your points on my statement. Although the national guard does get funding from DHS for its state missioning, I do not believe that is what this is. I think I confused the purpose of this version vs the ones slated for the guard.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Homeland Security name and logo on the side, Police/Rescue and other signage make it clear that this is not a military vehicle. These clowns have no business with that type of equipment. Can you imagine a bunch of TSA trained people running around in MRAPs? Not a pretty picture.

Expendable

Here are some pics of an FBI SWAT MRAP I took a couple years ago. It is a retired USMC MRAP that was deployed to Afghanistan.
389826_2905847605244_661120933_n.jpg

375224_2905852525367_162494437_n.jpg

384519_2905852805374_987323991_n.jpg

376169_2905849565293_1485527616_n.jpg

383981_2905851205334_1470821654_n.jpg

Hybrid. hahaha.

Notice how the FBI MRAP has less accessories. only thing FBI has is the additional Bull bar welded onto the original bumper which the FBI SWAT officers told me is designed to break down gates and such.

ArtHummer

The HS MRAP will have nothing associated with military at all. It is black and clearly accessorized for the street use.

[video=youtube_share;0pS9aw5pcJo]http://youtu.be/0pS9aw5pcJo[/video]

Hunner

Do you suppose the current admin thinks maybe their actions have caused reason to expect civil unrest??
That thing would really mess up a golf course.

abearden

Do you suppose the current admin thinks maybe their actions have caused reason to expect civil unrest??
That thing would really mess up a golf course.
I believe they're getting ready for a "my way or the highway" situation. You'd think they'd realize being that unpopular means they're doing something wrong, but their egos are too big for that.

Hunner

So what kind of person would want to enforce that, for "them"????
They would not be popular at dinner on the ground and watermelon parties down here!
All that armor, and an open radiator area and it appears an air intake on the side for either cabin air or diesel engine intake?
DUH!

Last edited:

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
All articles I have read say the DHS "retrofitted" not one article says they purchased. Anyone have any other articles saying DHS purchased these vehicles? There are a lot of articles about large cities, and some Sheriff departments getting these vehicles, retrofitted and supported by DHS. There are a lot of small armored personnel carriers already in use by numerous police/sheriff offices throughout the USA.
Just saying..,.
And 1.6 million rounds of ammo is not that much when you consider the number of agents DHS has under their authority and that most federal agencies require active shooting exercises at least once a year; many twice a year, and many agencies require they qualify with upward of 100 rounds of hollow point ammo that they normally carry. They play with FMJ, but they qualify with what they load for work. Again, just saying....

And most of you know I do NOT trust the current administration, or any damn administration in the past twenty years. So, I am not standing up for them, I am just playing devil's advocate.