• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Canadian h3t Alpha build

RamRod

Just a quick order update:

I have the following on order:

-JK snorkel for a DIY set up (I think it looks better then the ARB set up)
-Air Doc Intake
-K&N Filter

I'll post pic's as things come in and as they get put on!

@chad, too back I can't use that set up, looks nice tho!

Last edited:

RamRod

last night I popped my hood to make sure that the S/C doesn't effect my ability to use the Air Doc system.... it does, trying to cancel the order... hope I can catch him before its shipped!

4speedfunk

Are the factory flares my only option?

Until just the other day...yes. Check out what MustangGirl666 is working on...

flares3.jpgflares1.jpg

I have been wanting these for years. Anybody with a Rancho or SAS definitely needs some sort of flare. Bushwacker has told me to get bent several times...they will not be making anything for the H3 (other than the lame oem types). I say we repeatedly harass her by choking her PM box with orders! How bout some info MG666?

RamRod

Those look Sexy!!! I'd take a pair for the front and then try everything I could to convince them to make a set for the rear of my T!!

Thanks for the Update 4speedfunk!!!! I will try and get in touch with MustangGirl666 and see if I can get more info!

RamRod

Just wanted to give an update on the Air Doc situation, as I mentioned earlier it will not work on the S/C 5.3L....

He was prompt at canceling the shipment and giving me a full refund and I couldn't have asked for better customer service, even though I have no input on how the product works I can at least vouch for their customer service!

RamRod

What about making a tire carrier that bolts in behind the shackle on the rear bumper, something kind of like this...

tg1.jpg

I am not crazy about it, but wouldn't be bad for a temp solution...

RamRod

Been thinking of how I want to make my front bumper and here is what i have come up with for a "MS Paint Chop"

lol Rcode I stole a pic of your truck because it was a good angle and it has the winch in there like I want to do:

With the stock plastic, hidden winch & custom side panels (red is cut and removed):
front B.JPG
Or a new all metal bumper on top of the OEM skid plate and Shackle set up w/ hidden winch:
front B2.JPG

What are your guy's thoughts?

4speedfunk

I say you buy that used THORparts front from H3tbone and save yourself a ton of headaches. You can notch the plastic fascia panel to clear it, and install it over the top of the winch.

RamRod

I say you buy that used THORparts front from H3tbone and save yourself a ton of headaches. You can notch the plastic fascia panel to clear it, and install it over the top of the winch.

I PM'd him to see how much shipping will be to canada, I also know some people going down to Moab at the end of the month that might be able to bring it back for me... didnt know the plastic could be put on over the winch

4speedfunk

Let me know if the H3Tbone hook-up falls thru. I can send you a brand new one.

Also, I'm pretty sure you could easily notch the stock plastic fascia to clear the THORparts bumper. I'm not sure the winch would be completely concealed by it but, the trade-off is that you don't have to fab or weld anything. Just take it out of the box and bolt it on. Here are some old prototype pics from the THORparts bumper that shows what it looks like without the light-pods installed. As you can see its very similar to R-code's home-built bumper. The first and the last photos (the H40 uploader likes to shuffle them) show what it looks like with just the grille. I'm thinking you could leave that piece off, and the light pods as well....and just use the stock plastic fascia instead. Of course the bull bar would have to go...but that's a separate bolt-on piece anyway...

earlyTHOR-7.JPGearlyTHOR-1.JPGearlyTHOR-2.JPGearlyTHOR-3.JPGearlyTHOR-4.JPGearlyTHOR-5.JPGearlyTHOR-6.JPG

Years ago when I started work on this...one of my biggest complaints with the H3 was the cheap-looking plastic nose, so that was as much a part of my original design as the bumper itself. However, if anybody wants to keep the plastic fascia like R-code did...using this bumper would save you the hassle of fabbing something custom. I'm not stingy at all about this stuff, and I love to see guys making their own parts.

SolidusJ

What about making a tire carrier that bolts in behind the shackle on the rear bumper, something kind of like this...

View attachment 9681

I am not crazy about it, but wouldn't be bad for a temp solution...

Here's my set up right now, it just pops in the hitch and made by tiregate. I can't tell if I like it oor not but I really want a VT tiregate but I don't know how will it work out beaucse I use my bed a lot.

102_1602.jpg102_1603.jpg

RamRod

Let me know if the H3Tbone hook-up falls thru. I can send you a brand new one.

Years ago when I started work on this...one of my biggest complaints with the H3 was the cheap-looking plastic nose, so that was as much a part of my original design as the bumper itself. However, if anybody wants to keep the plastic fascia like R-code did...using this bumper would save you the hassle of fabbing something custom. I'm not stingy at all about this stuff, and I love to see guys making their own parts.

I'll let you know how that goes, I wouldn't mind if that all works out :giggle:

The biggest problem for me is that being up in Canada by the time these heavy things get shipped up to me it increases the cost by so much that I could get things made locally for the same price and get exactly what I want.

I agree the plastic up front really takes away from the knarlyness of the truck, and most of all I really want a winch up front...

I'll see how things with H3Tbone works out, then decide whats the next step as the various options are exhausted

RamRod

Here's my set up right now, it just pops in the hitch and made by tiregate. I can't tell if I like it oor not but I really want a VT tiregate but I don't know how will it work out beaucse I use my bed a lot.

View attachment 9731View attachment 9732

I looked into that set up and thought it was too high and stuck out too far back.... but if I could make it tuck in a bit better (and lower) that might be a reasonable and cost effective option until I can come up with a full rear bumper solution.

RamRod

H3Tbone got back to me and his front bumper is sold

So I'll be doing a bit of this:huh::huh::huh::no::huh::huh::no::huh::huh::huh::gaah::huh::thumbs: over the weekend and try and figure out my next step!

RamRod

I am still scratching my head about the front bumper issue, putting that aside for now

Thinking about putting a 40'' LED bar across the top of the windshield using the factory roof rack slider thingies... because the closest part of the slider to the windshield is 18'' away (and there is nothing closer to solidly mount anything to in that area) I am thinking of making a custom bracket to follow the roof line and mount the 40'' bar right at the very top of the roof/windshield line.

If I get a decent looking and functional mount would there be any interest on here to get more made? I am in the prototyping stage right now and can post up more pics as things develop but might be able to do a batch run if there are some that would like a set. (I'll create a different thread if there is enough interest)

amrg

Someone has done this setup before.

Attachments

• Hilljobslightbar-3 (1).jpg
    Hilljobslightbar-3 (1).jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 251

RamRod

So my fat fingers typed in one worng letter in the postal code.... so my snorkel has cleared customs... but it might get returned to sender because of one wrong letter:shame:

I have called and talked to several post office workers and they all say they can't do anything about it... the rest of the address is perfect... just a "k" in the place where a "j" should have been...

So might be delayed about 4 weeks on that project of thats the case

RamRod

Someone has done this setup before.

That is very close to what I was thinking, thanks for the pic, however what I was thinking would put the lights in front of the windshield below the roof line....

This pic also makes me realize that the design I was coming up with would not work for anyone who has the marker light up top....
I will just have to wait until I have a 40'' bar show up from the man in the brown truck and suit....

RamRod

Weekend DIY Project

Yay Look what got dropped off at work today!!
Snork.JPGI had given up hope for getting this guy any time soon!
Luckly he can right at the end of the day in the last delivery! The box was wrecked but all of the contents were fine.

I will get this put on this weekend as long as the crazy snow stom they claim to be coming doesn't wreck my plans too much! (15-20cm of snow(6-8 inches)).

I'll snap a bunch of pics and let ya'll know how it goes! Planning to do a variation on what I have seen on here so far!