• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Weight versus Accessories/Gear

Expendable

I started this thread so we could discuss weight and the effects of how adding, taking off, moving where the weight is regarding off roading, every driving driving, etc.

I plan to take my truck to get weighed later today (commercial scale at Burbank Recycling Center; increments of 20lbs). I estimate she will come in around 7500-8000 pounds. 1995 AM General Hummer HMCS (Wagon). Warn 12K Winch, Luverne Brush Guard (advertised 90lb weight), HummerDan RPP. spare tire carrier and jerry can carrier removed for visibility out the back. I will also be in the truck.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Always a balancing act between protection and repair capability and being light. Obviously the lighter the better unless you are sacrificing critical protection. And then you always have to factor in possible requirements to get off the trail if you have any of the myriad of possible breakdowns.

jakesz28

Myself the roof rack was for immediate needs and not looks. I did not want to spend a bunch of money for the Gobi. But now I wish I bought the full rack. I carry a canoe several times a year on the roof rack. Living by the Mississippi or the back waters of it. I take my son out fairly often. I also can not easily get my 10x10 shelter or awning in the back so it goes on the roof rack. When I take the family camping we use a tent and I can't get as much on the Hummer as I could my old Durango. So I also built an over the spare rack. Which currently has been removed, do to bumping it against some trees while out at the cliffs insane terrain. I also have a brush guard on the front. My last two vehicles have had an incident with a deer. I would rather try to slow down or minimize the damage if possible.
Yes I have bumpers and a winch. Were they needed? Maybe not, but the winch has been put to use a few times already. So I would say it was worth the investment. But at 5880 right now this is the heaviest vehicle I have taken wheeling. Will be over 6000 when on the trails.
Would love to have some Jerry cans, one fuel and one water. But my need for them at this time is not making them a preference. Many other things will get me farther. I can see why a roof top tent could be used in parts of the US and in other locations. But I would rather have one on a trailer or just have a camper.

Last edited:

Expendable

weighed her today.

Showed up as 7940 with me in the truck, a little more than 3/4 tank of fuel and the previous accessories mentioned.

LagunaH1

Great thread. My '97 is set up so I can wheel pretty technical obstacles and recover and repair a wide range of things. As a result I'm around 9200 pounds all things included.

Kurt

My softop is at 8700 lbs on that Burbank commercial scale. Thats with full fuel loadout, toolbox, Hummer Dan Rocker Panel Protection, extended undercarriage protection and rhino tire carrier with 5th wheel.

If I took the toolbox off, the UCP and rocker panels and the rhino carrier I'd probably drop about 1000 lbs there easy.