• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

4 to 1 transfer case

Reloader

Well I finally pulled the trigger on installing a 4 to 1 reduction transfer case. Ordered it from my local dealer from GM. The case cost me $1339 delivered with no core so I could keep the old one. I ordered the one for the I-5 as it was $300 cheaper. The only difference being the rear housing has the heat shield installed on the alpha model case. It came with a new encoder motor and sensors installed. The parts to convert my case were the same price and would need to be installed so the new one was a no brainer.
I had the dealer install the case for $300 . That included labor, fluid and the gasket between the case and trans. No programming was required as the trans upshifted properly in low range and my locker is wired independently from the transfer case control system.
When the dealer installs the case , it has a 36 month-100K mile warranty parts and labor. If I installed it , there would only be a 12 month over the counter warranty. So again a no brainer.
On the old case , 2000RPM in 4th gear was 25MPH. New case at 2000rpm is 15mph. Cant wait to play with it in Moab. Six weeks to go.

Reloader

Awesome I'm waiting to install mine

Don't forget the gasket between the trans and transfercase. They usually rip apart when the case is pulled out. Any GM dealer can get this for you. Its probably the same one used in several applications. Book time is 2.1 hrs so there is not much to remove. Hardest part is lifting it down and out. Be sure that the wiring harness is secured from touching the exhaust when done.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Steve you will notice a huge difference. You drive your truck as well as anybody I have seen but things just got easier for you.

jakesz28

I was hoping to get a 4 to 1 transfer case soon myself.

My last samurai had like a 100 to 1 crawl ratio in 1st gear with the twin gear reduction units.

R

R-code17815

4 to 1 is a double edge sword for me, It's awesome on rocks & crawling but, General 4x4ing and hill climbs, not so good, especially hill climbs.

Someone invent a 3speed transfer case for me!!!, lol

Expendable

4 to 1 is a double edge sword for me, It's awesome on rocks & crawling but, General 4x4ing and hill climbs, not so good, especially hill climbs.

I do not have an H3. is there only 4 Low Locked and 4 Hi? (I could have the speeds named wrong)

Zach

Mall Crawler
Haven't heard any complaints from people with the 4.10 at all. Tons of complaints from the ones without it though

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Im with Zach. I guess the downside could be in mud or snow, the higher gearing may help in that terrain? Either way, I cant wait to get mine in. The upsides will definitely outweight any possible downside.

In a perfect world though I would have a blackbox between the trans and 4:1 so you can have 1:1, 2.74:1, 4.10:1 and then 11.23:1. Offering good gear choices for the right terrain but seeing it requires a ton of money, a ton of time, a ton of custom work and will only will benefit me for less then 5% of the time on the trail it isnt worth it right now. The 4:1 will kickass

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
I'm with Zack too! I would never give mine up or ever go back to the stock TC after having driven both on my rig.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapataint

Expendable

Im with Zach. I guess the downside could be in mud or snow, the higher gearing may help in that terrain? Either way, I cant wait to get mine in. The upsides will definitely outweight any possible downside.

In a perfect world though I would have a blackbox between the trans and 4:1 so you can have 1:1, 2.74:1, 4.10:1 and then 11.23:1. Offering good gear choices for the right terrain but seeing it requires a ton of money, a ton of time, a ton of custom work and will only will benefit me for less then 5% of the time on the trail it isnt worth it right now. The 4:1 will kickass

I wonder if an Atlas TCase would be better than a stock H3 TCase and a Blackbox?

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member

We use Timgco's Raptor for the high speed stuff, especially the jumps.

backcountryislife

On access trails I could see the 4:1 having a downside. With my 5 speed I could still hit 35 or so if I recall... hell, with the 5.13's I've got now I top out about 24 mph! I can understand folks wanting to be able to go faster than that, but not be in 4 hi either.

For me, the 4:1 changed the h3 COMPLETELY. the way I came at obstacles changed, how much work it was changed... it was more than I could have hoped for.

MaxPF

AGNTSA
I wonder if an Atlas TCase would be better than a stock H3 TCase and a Blackbox?

It would be shorter and stronger, but you would lose full time 4WD.

You guys all talking about 4:1 transfer cases, meanwhile I've "downgraded" to a 1.96:1 ratio case :giggle: In my case, I am trading ruggedness for low range ratio. Nothing a planetary crawler box won't fix if needed :)

r-DSCF4538.JPG