• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

.22LR Pistol Reviews?

Neo

Badfish
and the 1/2" pine board baffle test ... redneck style :)

[video=youtube_share;OUM1r_444CY]http://youtu.be/OUM1r_444CY[/video]

R

R-code17815

Ruger all the way for .22 cal.

Biggest thing no matter that gun.....Clean, Clean, Clean

Rimfire ammo is so damn dirty.

My latest .22 pistol idea is a conversion for my Glock.

Some company makes a complete kit for about $250, comes with everything, including 2 Mags.
From what I hear it's CRAZY accurate and never jams.

So basically, with a few extra parts to carry in my cleaning kit, I could have 2 guns in one, I like that idea.

58Bisc

My SR22 eats 500 rounds of whatever I can find every weekend. At this point beggers can't be choosers with ammo in short supply. I have yet to run into any type it does not like. It makes life a lot easier not to have to be picky when it comes to ammo.

58Bisc

Just upgrade all 8 of my SR22 10 round magazines to 13 rounds. That gives me 105 rounds (13+1 on the first magazine) before I have to reload them instead of 80 rounds. Probably one of the reasons I go through so much ammo...

Hans3T

Lif"T"ed
I'm going to my first gun show today with Perk. Hoping to learn a good deal and pick up my first firearm in the short term future. I would prefer a .22 pistol. I'll be reading this thread in greater detail on my computer later.

Sent with Tapacrack

Paladine71

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
It's been too cold so far to convince my wife and daughter to go to the range this weekend. I do have to admit though, the Ruger SR22 does feel good in the hand, very comfortable.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have to admit I am a little surprised. While shot placement is paramount all other things being equal the .22 did very well. Looks like we all need to carry a 12 ga.

Brownie

I have a PPKS 380 and a P22 Heavy solid very reliable but a very heavy slide. Good trigger on both. PPKs is a bi**h to pull that slide..P22 is better but you can do better especially for a newbe..

chad

A .22lr may not the best round for self defense, but it's much better than many people give it credit for. Not to mention, some people just can't shoot larger calibers well. http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/handgun-stopping-power
Very interesting article, I agree a lot that it's not as much caliber as it is shot placement and bullet type can help compared to ball ammo. But I would like to see stats like that for the 500 sw. I blew a decent size tree in half with one single hollow point. I'm certain that will stop in one shot.

abearden

Very interesting article, I agree a lot that it's not as much caliber as it is shot placement and bullet type can help compared to ball ammo. But I would like to see stats like that for the 500 sw. I blew a decent size tree in half with one single hollow point. I'm certain that will stop in one shot.
How many are you looking to stop? Because 500mag would definitely stop AT LEAST one bad guy.

skeptic

I wouldn't expect very many to concealed carry a 500 S&W, but I'd bet you are right. :) Same with a Judge and some nasty .410 self defense ammo.

abearden

When I was looking at CCW, I was looking at carrying my Desert Eagle in a shoulder holster. 500mag wouldn't be much different, but I'm 6'5" so it's easier to hide.

Scarsman

Sponsor

One thing to think about carrying something like that is the rule, "be sure of your target AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT." A .50, whether AE or S&W, is absolutely going to go all the way through a human, unless they are morbidly obese. I've personally seen a .50AE 350 gr JHP out of a 6" Desert Eagle barrel go through the front of a 300 lb bear's skull, through the back of the skull bone into the neck meat, and then lodge in a neck vertebrae, breaking it. 13.5" total travel, through two heavy layers of bone and then lodging in bone. Also seen the same round/same gun go fully lengthwise through a very large 100+ lb stray dog that was killing livestock and chasing people. It went through the dog, around 30", hit the frozen ground, ricocheted up and went through a barn window about 20 yards away, then went almost through a 2x6. I would personally never carry a round like that for defense in a populated area. Way too much risk from virtually guaranteed over penetration.

As for "stopping power", I've seen someone walking around after being shot in the torso with 12g 00 buck. Also seen people shot in the face with 9mm and .38 still functioning. I know of a guy who took 6 full power .357 Mag. JHP rounds to the torso, including in the chest, and he was still able to fire back, killing the Trooper with one shot from a .22. And he survived.

Handguns with ball ammo make nice little holes in and out, and will go through a lot! I saw a 9mm ball go clear through a very large man, left to right between the belt and bottom of the ribcage. Probably about 28" from in to out.

At the end of the day there are only two ways to stop a person who is trying to kill you. Option A is to make them change their mind, and option B is to kill them. Or I guess there's also option C, just give up and accept your fate. [emoji33]

Sometimes just active resistance, screaming, or just pulling a weapon will make them change their mind. If so, then awesome! However, if the person is totally committed and has the will power and determination to never give up, then you are only left with option B. In that case there are only two ways to make that happen:

1. You have to shut down the computer, i.e. central nervous system, the brain

2. You make them bleed out. This is obviously much slower.

This is why shot placement will always trump cartridge/bullet for hanguns. No matter what you shoot someone with, if it doesn't shut down the brain, then whether or not they stop is determined entirely on their mindset and how fast they are bleeding. Barring limitations from structural damage, like broken bones, they can still function until the brain runs out of blood/oxygen. Think about how far a deer can run after a perfect shot destroys their heart and lungs. And that's after being shot there with a high power rifle, which no handgun round can even begin to compare with.

For clarification, I am talking about the normal range of defensive handgun rounds, like .380 through. 357.

Oh! And the old Ruger Mk II is still a darn good little plinker!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited: