• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

HMMWV beadlock wheels recentered for H3

SGT-Wright

Has anyone bought or used re-centered military HMMWV wheels on their H3, and what kind of problems did they encounter? I found some machine shops online that make the centers but no completed wheels. If anyone has pics of converted wheels please post some pics of them.

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
HMMWV wheels are an 8 bolt pattern. H3s run 6 bolt if I'm not mistaken. Since I no longer run stock pattern on my H3 I can't remember.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

08SolarFlareH3

Super Swampers
HMMWV wheels are an 8 bolt pattern. H3s run 6 bolt if I'm not mistaken. Since I no longer run stock pattern on my H3 I can't remember.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone
Correct the HMMWV is 8 lug and the H3 is 6 lug but he is talking about having them re-entered, so he can get any bolt pattern he wants.

TrailBreaker

There is a company out there called Trail Worthy fab (TrailWorthyFab.com) that will recenter H1 wheels with whatever bolt pattern, and nearly any backspace you want.

I have looked into these, and here is what I have learned.

While a great price for wheels and tires, they are 16.5" wheels, and tire choises are fairly limited. You can run Military OZ wheels, but will ride rough on the lighter weight H3 vs an H1 and the radials are only available in 37" tall, you might be able to find some 35" bias tires in a 16.5. There are some Super Swamper/Interco tires still available in 16.5. Second, they are very heavy. So much so, that even an Alpha truck would notice the weight difference. Just about forget an I5 truck.

I placed a set of my buddies H1 wheels on my 3T once with some hub/lug adapters just to try it out, and there is a noticable difference in driveability. The get up and go, and please stop definitely were effected.

I havent ruled these out yet, but I am not convinced its a way to go just yet.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
The steel wheels get out of round and are 16.5" as Jason said. That means your tire choices consist of Goodyear MTs ( suck ), MTRs ( ok but not always available in 16.5" ), Pitbulls ( heavy and expensive ) and Iroks. If you have an issue away from home the liklihood that the local tire store will have a 16.5 tire available is pretty small. Just some things to think about.

Kurt

Extremely extremely small.

You used to be able to order Military tires through Goodyear and BFG, but now its not listed in the system, and you need to order via NSN for the government.

Those wheels and tires sell well because they are the best bang for the buck for big rubber for a trail rig, and given the cost, people are willing to put up with just using Goodyear MT's.

The military is eliminating MT's from its inventory, and the new standard is 16.5" MTR [old style pattern] and a Military Baja T/A. Those are hard to get now but they can be had. I'm going to East LA tomorrow to look at a bunch of used MTR's and Baja T/A's to see if they are good.

Trailworthy Fab was selling Baja T/A's fairly new for $129 ea, and sold 400-500 of them in 2 weeks, they're sold out for now.

Technically speaking, re centering a HMMWV wheel will void it's DOT certification. Technically speaking they won't be street legal vs an stock OEM wheel. This may be important if you have to deal with vehicle inspections.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
3Hummers, correct me if I am wrong, but iirc you run 17's on your H1(s) for that reason?

Correct. I have 16.5s on the 94 but have a set of Alpha wheels and tires going on it soon. All of the other trucks run the Alpha two piece wheels with dual beadlocks. Tire selection and availability is the main reason for me switching them out.

Last edited:

SGT-Wright

I am looking for a set of trail wheels with dual beadlocks for airing down. Are there any other cheap alternatives other than Hutchinson ~$500 ea. available for H3? Theese wheels wont be daily drivers, but might see short on-road use too and from the trails. I drove many HMMWVs while in the military and never had any problems with wheels other than balance, but the Army does not balance wheels saying that they rarely go at freeway speeds anyway.

Neo

Badfish
they would be real cool to have but , they weigh so freakin much ... thats why i kept the wheels i have , . i was going to get some for the h1 but just stayed with the nascar wheels it came with , the're are lite and i have'nt busted a half shaft yet :wink: probably just jinxed myself