• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

'06 H3 Radiator Problems

Hogwild501

Got my oil changed at the dealership last week. A couple of days later I noticed a small leak in the driveway. Figured it was oil dripping but as the days went on it continued to grow. Went back to the dealership and they said I needed a new radiator. After doing some research I found out this problem was fairly common. The dealership quoted $700 for parts and labor. If there is a design flaw in the OEM replacement is it better to go with an aftermarket or a high performance radiator? Also how labor intensive would be swapping out the radiator?

mkmcgreg

If your handy with tools it as a pretty simple garage swap there's is a write up some where, use the search.. I think I paid 2 hundred for mine online.

They typically crack right along the top. Take a close look and you may have a hairline crack up near the top. Good luck and $700 seems high to me.

amrg

700 is high, but that is a normal price at the dealers I believe! I paid more for when I swapped mine though. I think someone posted that there was a better aftermarket replacement, basically slips in without any mods.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Ron Davis http://www.rondavisradiators.com/ makes an excellent radiator for the H3 that Bebe and Speedy helped develop as the test vehicle, giving feedback, measurements, etc. Not a cheap alternative, but an excellent one.

In my research, that $700 was normal for my area and that's what I talked my dealer down to - they started a few hundred higher.

Pappibri

Mine just got replaced under warranty.. It had the small hairline crack on top. GM should replace them due to it being a design flaw.. Good luck I hope you find a deal on one.

Steve #1

Call GM and see if they will cover part of the repair. I payed $200 and was over 20K out of the warranty. The new GM radiator is redesigned so that it doesn't make the same contact that causes the originals to crack.

ALPHA of JONESY

I contacted Ron Davis several months ago about a replacement radiator for my H3 Alpha and I was quoted approx $1000. I am still searching for a good alternative to the OEM unit but no luck yet. So far my stock radiator is holding up but I know its only a matter of time before I need to replace it.

D

Dennis

Another one bites the dust.....

At 67,000 miles my 06's Radiator cracked...the hairline crack was about 5" long and along the front and on the top tank..About mid-way between the crimped flange to the core and the top of the tank...Nothing had rubbed on it or had it been hit, it just friggin cracked..it actually was hidden by the foam insulation strip that is wedged in between the top tank and the frame support..I got a Silla (#9589A)..Read several reviews and nothing lately said anything bad about them..Anyway..it was a PERFECT FIT in every little stinking way..not one thing was out of place or needed some modifying for proper fitment..it was PERFECT!!!! and I believe IMO, it actually looked better than the Delco original...

Just to be safe, I flushed it out in both directions and pressure tested the Transmission oil cooler for any leaks...Perfect!...I can only hope it holds up..it has a life time warranty, soooooo...we'll see..

BTW..If you ever use a Silla, make sure you tighten the cooler line fittings, as they are just snugged on...I read one review that the complaint was the line fitting leaked after a while...I wonder why?:huh:... and they do come with the new little spring clips that holds the lines in.
13.jpg

That is all..

Last edited by a moderator:

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Good luck Dennis. I too have heard good things about the Silla radiator H3 replacement. Please keep us updated over time and whether you have any issues with the rad.

D

Dennis

I just got back from driving around in 89 degree weather with and without A/C on..Freeway speeds and stop-n-go traffic....No runs, no drips, no errors..Perfect!..In fact (maybe a placebo effect), but I noticed the A/C now seems colder and the temp gauge barely moves from center no matter what's going on..unlike before, it would swing up and down with A/C load and at a long stoplight....I'm happy now.

D

Dennis

Well Hi-ya Kelly.. good to see ya..

Last edited by a moderator: