• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Rock Railz - Making them Non-Skid

Calamitygirl

Born to Wheel
Ok, now that Solar is wearing Stilletos (she used to wear pumps) its a challenge for me to get in when I'm wearing pencil skirts. Ok, I know you guys are thinking geez, what a problem to have, but seriously it is a problem.

I have finally figured out how to get in but I'm using the rock rail as a step and at times it can be slippery. I wish they would have put an assist handle inside the driver's door like the passenger side. I don't think there is room to add one because the michrophone for Onstar is too close?

I wanted to know what ingenious solutions you guys have come up with to put a patch of non-skid surface on the rail.

I realize some of you are going to have a field day with this post, and well, be my guest as long as it helps solve the problem! lol

H32NV

Hahahaha. I actually did non-skid my rock rails, i took them to a powdercoater, had them sandblasted and prepped and then had then re-powdercoated black with a powdercoat that has some sand or something in it to make them very tracky. Works like magic, and should never rust. It was $150 tho....

skeptic

Ok, now that Solar is wearing Stilletos (she used to wear pumps) its a challenge for me to get in when I'm wearing pencil skirts. Ok, I know you guys are thinking geez, what a problem to have, but seriously it is a problem.

I have no clue what you just said.

I have finally figured out how to get in but I'm using the rock rail as a step and at times it can be slippery. I wish they would have put an assist handle inside the driver's door like the passenger side. I don't think there is room to add one because the michrophone for Onstar is too close?

I wanted to know what ingenious solutions you guys have come up with to put a patch of non-skid surface on the rail.

I realize some of you are going to have a field day with this post, and well, be my guest as long as it helps solve the problem! lol
My plan is to just rattle-can bedliner my sliders. It's quite grippy and seems to be pretty tough as well as easy to touch up. Worked great on my brushguards. You might also try some anti-slip stair/ladder tape.

Gunner_45

Super Moderator
Staff member

I have no clue what you just said.

A decoder ring is required.

04.gif

Hunner

I put non-skid tape on TOP of mine, now. If you put it on so it wraps partially to the outside edge yu gonna get a run in your hose as your calf slides over it.
I of course don't wear hose like Joe Namath but it will also wear a patch of material on jeans at the calf, so I have to assume hose would fail! lol
Check at a marine supply store.

I actually can't step up on mine to get in because then my head is above the roof, but I guess I'm the right height to sort of place my tail partially in the seat, pull on the steering wheel and push with my right leg on the rail.

Gunner_45

Super Moderator
Staff member
All valid points there Mr. Hunner.

Maybe a better solution would be one of those Rubbermaid stepping stools and a pull rope.

Just sayin'.

04.gif

Rubbermaid_4200-87WHT_Roughneck_Step_Stool.jpg

chain-pulling-rope-250x250.jpg

H32NV

Skeptic: haha, have you ever had a girlfriend? Stilettos: high up. Pumps: low and comfy. Pencil Skirt: possible wardrobe malfunction.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Hunner's solution - grip tape, is probably one of the more common solutions and he has a point that the tape will grab pants legs, hose, etc. Something to be aware of.

Calamitygirl

Born to Wheel
Thanks for the solutions guys! I do like the tape solution but as Hunner pointed out snags are very likely!

Gunner's stirrup pix is made for Jeeps called a stirrup step. Won't work on H3 there is no lip in the door frame to hook to.

Going to try and make my own from seat belt webbing and a stirrup and maybe attach it to the front bracket of the seat frame!

erdlen65

Have you looked into having someone fab an easily remove able step you could put on for when your all dolled up and can take it off for normal clothes days lol

tomp

Candi, just do the tape like Hunner and Alcock suggested. You can get it at any boat/marine parts place at store or boat dealer. If you only apply it on top surfaces, your hose will be fine.

ArtHummer

You can get yourself something like this for easy get in and out...:wink::mock::rofl:

[video=youtube_share;HU2D6IJH39I]http://youtu.be/HU2D6IJH39I[/video]

Calamitygirl

Born to Wheel
Summitup, there isn't any room for hikin...I'm just sayin, not all fabric stretches!

ArtHummer I'm not that f'n old, the truck is just a tad too tall!

frumaker I will send you pix of my Rocky Rock Railz.

Tomp and Hunner I put the tape on as suggested, positioned it towards the front of the truck and inside (if that makes sense). When I slide out of the truck I veer to the left, so far so good.

Erdlen - frumaker has an idea and he is going to design just that!

I really like the stirrup step but needs to be modified to work in the H3. I'm working on that. Hunner can you design a hook that will hold the strap that goes around the front bracket of the driver's seat?

Last edited:

ArtHummer

You don't have to be old. It just a good, safe and easy way to get in... :)
But i would second frumaker idea. Removable side steps would do the trick. Like the ones on the OEM sliders. Plus it does not look to bad with them on.

HUMMER-H3-Rockers-and-Steps-480.jpg

Also, if you will decide to go with stirrup step, you can remove the door molding and attach it under it, then just put the molding back on.

Last edited: