• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

06 H3's Squeakin H3 Build

4speedfunk

Cool. That's a great idea. I knew RCV made the slugs (so do several other makers) but the lockout gear must be a recent addition. Not sure the rest of a Warn Premium is up to par with the 30-spline outer but, at least you have a disconnect-able option.
Make sure you carry some 19-spline spares, as 30-spline stuff is a unicorn on the trail.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I spoke to RCV about it and they claim the weak point was the 19 spline hub gear and this takes care of it. Not sure how true it is...I have spare hubs and can swap the 30 spline gear in.

4speedfunk

YOU ACTUALLY SPOKE TO RCV? I've sent numerous emails and called several times and never got any response whatsoever. Good for you!
Looks like good stuff but, lots of so-so opinions on the net. I think the big advantage is the CV joint (instead of the 760x) which is sort of a moot point on the Dana 44. Mine doesn't turn near sharp enough to justify running CVs. Plus, you now have to worry about the boots. I'm on the fence with RCV and I cannot see enough advantage to warrant the ridiculous price tag. Very interested in your opinion...keep us updated.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
YOU ACTUALLY SPOKE TO RCV? I've sent numerous emails and called several times and never got any response whatsoever. Good for you!
Looks like good stuff but, lots of so-so opinions on the net. I think the big advantage is the CV joint (instead of the 760x) which is sort of a moot point on the Dana 44. Mine doesn't turn near sharp enough to justify running CVs. Plus, you now have to worry about the boots. I'm on the fence with RCV and I cannot see enough advantage to warrant the ridiculous price tag. Very interested in your opinion...keep us updated.

Yea, called them answered within a few rings and they were super cool. I got a deal on pirate so I didn't pay the full price tag. I went to RCV because I had issues with my u joints. I broke one which took out both the inner and outer shaft then the next trip out I took out another u joint. Some think they got dry and that's what caused it, especially the 2nd one where the cap just popped in half. If that's the case spicers will go bad every 15-16k miles due to drying out. CTM u joints alone are 500 bucks and that's without chromoly shafts. They aren't recommended for highway use since they have bronze bushings vs. needle bearings and if I break one no warranty. People say RCVs can withstand anything and the warranty is great as well as the ability to be run at highway speeds. I'll keep you guys posted, now that I have a high pinion 44 and RCVs I should be able to beat on the axle pretty good.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Update: I revalved my bilstein 7100s again and WOW! Another great improvement! I only put a few miles on this new setup but I feel this may be my final revalve the suspension feels much more controlled.

I removed 2 of the bleed shims for rebound one on the high speed and one on the low speed side. Then swapped out the main compression shim for a slightly thicker one. I feel I am getting to the point where things are getting really dialed. I was busy building my rig, other rigs, helping friends out and while it was very daily drivable it was the little things I wanted to fine tune and as I have slowly done that it really is adding up to make beneficial improvements.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Sent you a PM back. We can make it work. People are starting to realize Hummer did one thing right....THE BRAKES! The brakes will stop 40s with no problem. A JK the brakes suck at 35-37in range. My buddy drove my H3 running the factory H3 brakes and was amazed at what little effort it took to stop 40s.

I started looking into it but will probably need some more dimensions from you when you tear things apart.

Nastybuzzard

Probationary Member
The brakes are great! Worked excellent when I swapped them on my 1987 GMC V1500. I want that same stopping power to stop my 1988 Crew Cab short bed 1 ton 4x4 diesel.

4speedfunk

I can't believe there are enough non-compliant fines to pay for the emissions inspection system. Indiana used to have inspections but, studies determined that the state's cost to operate the inspection system far outweighed any revenue gained from it. Spending $20 million to get $1 million in fines and sticker sales seems ridiculous.

Back in the 80s, people were cutting off their highly restrictive catalytic converters...so it made sense to have inspections. But nobody messes with that anymore. People modifying their cars like Squeaky, are really few and far between. I bet the pass-to-fail ratio is off the charts. Gotta be the most boring job ever...one out of every three-thousand cars fails?

Here have a sticker...save us both a lot of hassle.

Last edited:

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Yep, got the sticker! Door jamb on the H3 is too small so it had to go on the back passenger door jamb.

Yea 4speed there's a ton of stuff he said that comes through and doesn't pass. Most of it can if you follow the 3 simple rules, engine in same GVWR class so basically don't put a motor from a semi in it, same year motor or newer, retain oem emission equipment. He said he's had a lot of LS swapped Mazda miatas pass and even more fail for lack of trying to follow the rules

Woodtick

Good Job . Nice to see it passed and you stuck with it. I haven't done anything to my 3 but take it to play in the snow with my other toys. image.jpg They are a lot like 4x4s. Buy,stuck,break,repair and repeat.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Bump:

I never updated this thread...since January!! Since January I went to hammers a good amount. Then to moab, then I got picked for Petersons 4 wheel and off-road Ultimate adventure. In a 4 week span I turned a rear Dana 70 into a front axle, half doors, hybrid roll cage and a ton of other little stuff. Right after UA I went to the rubicon, then the rubicon again...1st rubicon trip I smacked my skid so hard I bent it into the t case and broke one tooth off the front output after I deflected the snubber loose internally. Pieced together my other case and hit the rubicon again with no issues.

It's been a month and change since I hit a trail but it's all in prep for hammer season. New custom gas tank skid, new tcase skid is 3/8 thick since I bent 1/4 bad, beadlocks since I lost a few beads since I ditched the factory H3 wheels I added some more to my cage, doing some slider leg reinforcement and helped my buddy build a cage for his TJ over the past few weekends.

Ultimate adventure videos will be released next month, the past 2 magazines hit the newsstands already and I made the cover on one of them!

I still am tracking down a cruise control issue. It worked since the V8 swap and one day it randomly just stopped working...keeps blowing a fuse.

Other then that it's still going strong! I've done countless multi day trips far far away from home and flogged the H3 with very little issue, put it in 4hi and drove home! (Even a 400 mile drive with a JB welded hole in the t case!)

Acer4LO

Really hyped to see you on UA!!! Would love to see some in depth pics of your half doors! Thinking about doing the same soon. A few questions I have though is about the exterior door handle placement, if the power locks/speakers would still work, and it if it would be a good idea to do all four. I think it would be really convenient if you were able to attach/detach the upper part of the window you cut off for when you are traveling longer distances.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Really hyped to see you on UA!!! Would love to see some in depth pics of your half doors! Thinking about doing the same soon. A few questions I have though is about the exterior door handle placement, if the power locks/speakers would still work, and it if it would be a good idea to do all four. I think it would be really convenient if you were able to attach/detach the upper part of the window you cut off for when you are traveling longer distances.

I'll get some pics for you.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
You may have a short in the multi function blinker switch. Had one go bad in my Silverado and they are basicly the same.

I changed out the entire switch. (Controls blinker, cruise, wipers, etc.) didn't fix it [emoji35] also changed the cruise cancel switch at the pedal too.