Welcome to the H4O - HUMMER 4x4 Off Road.
Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829
    a.k.a. "The Jackal"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,840 Times in 1,046 Posts
    Bump:

I never updated this thread...since January!! Since January I went to hammers a good amount. Then to moab, then I got picked for Petersons 4 wheel and off-road Ultimate adventure. In a 4 week span I turned a rear Dana 70 into a front axle, half doors, hybrid roll cage and a ton of other little stuff. Right after UA I went to the rubicon, then the rubicon again...1st rubicon trip I smacked my skid so hard I bent it into the t case and broke one tooth off the front output after I deflected the snubber loose internally. Pieced together my other case and hit the rubicon again with no issues.

It's been a month and change since I hit a trail but it's all in prep for hammer season. New custom gas tank skid, new tcase skid is 3/8 thick since I bent 1/4 bad, beadlocks since I lost a few beads since I ditched the factory H3 wheels I added some more to my cage, doing some slider leg reinforcement and helped my buddy build a cage for his TJ over the past few weekends.

Ultimate adventure videos will be released next month, the past 2 magazines hit the newsstands already and I made the cover on one of them!

I still am tracking down a cruise control issue. It worked since the V8 swap and one day it randomly just stopped working...keeps blowing a fuse.

Other then that it's still going strong! I've done countless multi day trips far far away from home and flogged the H3 with very little issue, put it in 4hi and drove home! (Even a 400 mile drive with a JB welded hole in the t case!)
    Squeaky3: 06 H3 ALPHA SAS Hi pinion Dana 44 front/Eaton HO72 rear 5.13 gears, custom crossmember for long arms, lockers, 4:1 T-case, v8 swap, gobi, Smittbilt 12k Custom bumpers....do it all vehicle

"H3 front axles are like drunk cheerleaders....just use em until they get mouthy...then toss em and get another." -anonymous

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 06 H3 For This Useful Post:

3Hummers (10-08-2017), Panzer07 (10-08-2017)

Street Tire
    Thanks
    Really hyped to see you on UA!!! Would love to see some in depth pics of your half doors! Thinking about doing the same soon. A few questions I have though is about the exterior door handle placement, if the power locks/speakers would still work, and it if it would be a good idea to do all four. I think it would be really convenient if you were able to attach/detach the upper part of the window you cut off for when you are traveling longer distances.

Bogger
    Thanks
    You may have a short in the multi function blinker switch. Had one go bad in my Silverado and they are basicly the same.
    2006 H3 Adventure & modified Rancho with SOA

a.k.a. "The Jackal"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer4LO View Post
    Really hyped to see you on UA!!! Would love to see some in depth pics of your half doors! Thinking about doing the same soon. A few questions I have though is about the exterior door handle placement, if the power locks/speakers would still work, and it if it would be a good idea to do all four. I think it would be really convenient if you were able to attach/detach the upper part of the window you cut off for when you are traveling longer distances.
    I'll get some pics for you.
    Squeaky3: 06 H3 ALPHA SAS Hi pinion Dana 44 front/Eaton HO72 rear 5.13 gears, custom crossmember for long arms, lockers, 4:1 T-case, v8 swap, gobi, Smittbilt 12k Custom bumpers....do it all vehicle

"H3 front axles are like drunk cheerleaders....just use em until they get mouthy...then toss em and get another." -anonymous

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 06 H3 For This Useful Post:

Enter Hummer (10-09-2017)

a.k.a. "The Jackal"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rascole View Post
    You may have a short in the multi function blinker switch. Had one go bad in my Silverado and they are basicly the same.
    I changed out the entire switch. (Controls blinker, cruise, wipers, etc.) didn't fix it also changed the cruise cancel switch at the pedal too.

a.k.a. "The Jackal"

Thanks
    I finally added beadlocks! I got a great deal on a pre order group buy. I needed them after losing a total of 6 beads since I installed the H2 rims. The H3 rims are narrow, I have read narrow rims are a poor mans beadlock and sure enough I never lost a bead at 10 lbs on the H3 rims...10 lbs on the H2 rims they were always losing a bead.

I also strengthened the sliders with 1.5x3 .25 wall legs and have 7 of them vs the 3 1x1 .188 wall slider legs.

Then I went wheeling at hammers! Choclate thunder to wrecking ball, down claw up boulderdash, down upper and lower Johnson then resolution. My buddy broke a shaft and I had to tug him up resolution that was a challenge but redlining the V8 kicking up tons of dust and 50-150 lb rocks got the job done!

9. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to 06 H3 For This Useful Post:

3Hummers (01-16-2018), Acer4LO (01-03-2018), cbetts (11-08-2017), GreatDaneHummer (11-08-2017), H3slate (11-08-2017), RamRod (11-08-2017), rascole (11-09-2017), SuperBuickGuy (11-08-2017)

a.k.a. "The Jackal"

Thanks
    Bump: I have put over 30k miles on the SAS now and about 20k on the V8 swap...All is well with squeaky. After a year of nothing but abuse its time for some love. It wont happen right away as I will get her ready for KOH then once I move I will do a tear down.

-Need to figure out why my cruise still isnt working! I was trying to track down a short but nothing so far.
    -My damn key recently got stuck in the ignition. Not sure what thats about.
    -I want to redo my slider legs so they are stronger. I may cut some of the bottom pinch seam out so I can get legs to angle down at the sliders for more resistant to hits.
    -finish the cage
    -finish the sway bar
    -install my shocks that I still have laying around

but anyways she's still ticking just needing a little love.

Super Swamper
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,507 Times in 859 Posts

06 H3's Squeakin H3 Build

Are your H2 rims for sale? Iím looking (for the Burb).
    Also, you may want to check the brake light switch near the pedals. My H3 went all goofy and lost cruise control when I first bought it. The dealer traced it to a faulty brake light switch and replaced it under warranty. I think there are two switches down there. This might also explain the sticking ignition key (low voltage from the brake lights being stuck on).

a.k.a. "The Jackal"

Thanks
    So I never got to do a KOH 2018 recap. Drove the hummer out Wednesday night. Thursday we volunteered, as some saw I got the chance to winch cars on the race course during the EMC race!!! That was awesome! The guy who had his ZJ down there had steel cable on his winch. One of the drivers was pist as it’s a safety hazard, I don’t blame him for feeling that way.

It was interesting at first. Before my rig was down there I was up at the top letting them know when cars came down resolution. When they had the first rollover it took a while. 10 people trying to tell each other what to do, under pressure and the rig winching wasn’t in the ideal position to roll back over. We definitely got faster as time went on but it was a blast!

That night we ran turkey claw and got to see a JL on 37s with less than 1k miles on it HAMMER down hard! Hard enough it shut off lol I believe it was hazzard fabworx’s JL. We then ran chocolate and got to help a SxS out as he ripped his spindle off the a arm.

Friday we enjoyed the race and Friday night we went to clawhammer, not my favorite as it’s easier and we have done it a million times but we had a few guys with us on their first hammer trip so we went to claw. About halfway up my buddy broke his Detroit locker. So I went down with him. Once he was off the trail I headed back up. A YJ broke a driveshaft, towed him down, then went back up to recover a SAS Tacoma with a broken u joint. After towing 3 rigs back to the trail head I decided to head back to camp since it was 3am. My buddy’s finished the trail as the group went from 9 to about 5.

Saturday is our big wheeling day! We decided to run outer limits. We get out there and 500 ft in my buddy’s trunion bearing failed on his Toyota and was dead in the water. So me and another rig bombed back to camp.. Robbed the parts off a friends toyota that wasn’t as built and went passenger for outer limits. So spent some time at camp tearing down the front end. Then threw the parts in the trunk of my rig, drove back, put the new parts on, got him back to camp and on a trailer then pulled the parts back off and onto the Toyota it came off of. It was a long day! So outer limits is for next time.

Aired up the tires, packed up and drove home on Sunday! The hummer did great as a recovery/chase rig all week! Now it’s time to drive it to mammoth just in time for a gnarly snowstorm! Glad I have factory leather heated seats :grinpimp:

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 06 H3 For This Useful Post:

Acer4LO (04-15-2018)

a.k.a. "The Jackal"

Thanks
    Time for an update.

Last season we got a ton of hammer trips in but unfortunately this season has been a bit slower since a couple of my buddy's were down for a few months due to carnage. So I have been doing quite a bit of recoveries...When it rains down in so cal all the idiots come out.

The first victim was a truck stuck on top of a main gas line :shaking: then he called up a friend to save him and he got stuck, then another friend who got really stuck, then the only one there knowing what to do broke an axle shaft in his factory locked FJ80.

So we got down there the next morning and there was a whole crew. the owners of the 4 stuck rigs and so cal gas company since a heavy truck was sitting on the main gas line feeding the town.

We started with the bronco.

Got him out

then went for the FJ80 and tacoma after they were out the chevy was left.

So cal gas company was bringing down a CAT to pull him out, the reasoning was that he was on their property and now its their issue. Other issues arised as the gas company had to go down some dirt roads to get there and the owner of that road was flipping out due to a heavy CAT ruining his road. So Cal asked myself and my buddy to get him out.

So we had 2 winches side pulling him off the big gas line and sure enough we did it with no damage! The gas company was relieved and luckily no one was charged even though that truck should have been taught a lesson.

All muddied up and as we were leaving so cal gas asked for our phone numbers if they need assistance in the future. That was cool!

Fast forward to the next storm.

Ranger is stuck, a ford f150 tries to help him and he gets stuck. 5 miles away a bronco was stuck and a dodge ram :shaking:

Someone gets the dodge but couldnt get the bronco. We got the F150 and ranger out at the other location.

Then the F150 got stuck again and a 2005ish Dodge 2500 with the cummins shows up and owner immediately tries to show that hes got big dick. Starts yacking off at my buddy how a jeep can't pull him out, he needs weight and a cummins! He doesnt have the torque. "Go ahead!" Well trying to flex his dick results in breaking a front driveshaft...

Stock tires, open diffs, and full tire pressure isnt gonna cut it

So his buddy in a bigger lifted truck shows up with the same story...Go ahead!!! no luck

While I am not mud truck using sense, I am aired down to 8 lbs, have lockers, 40s and a kinetic rope. I pull the stuck F150 out, then the dodge with the broken driveshaft and then another chevy.

The next day we go back to get the bronco at the other location.

its funny what these idiots do in this mud...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 06 H3 For This Useful Post:

Acer4LO (04-15-2018)

a.k.a. "The Jackal"

Thanks
    After that I got the Hummer cleaned up and made the 350 mile trek north to the Hummer's new home. She now can be wrenched on in a garage!!

Just barely fits with the garage door open.

After a year since the changes of the new D70 front, cage, etc. Its been through a lot with very little maintenance. So its time for some changes and maintenance.

I cut off the sliders, took the plastic off behind it and realized I could gain 3-3.5in of clearance by cutting that crap out. I am not sure if I will do that but either way I still havent been happy with the sliders. original legs bent then went with 1.5x3 .25wall tubing directly to the frame, its bowed a little bit.

I am fearful that I will rip the sliders off at the frame since .25wall is so much thicker then the framerails and its not welded to a frame plate to spread the load. So I am starting all over.

4x4 plates 3/16 plates welded to frame to spread the load and the plates will be welded to the the 1.5x3 .25wall slider legs. I need to get some type of triangle support in there to really make it stout as hell. If I can cut out that rocker, bring it up 3in I can then weld uprights to it to really make it built to take hits and support the cage in a roll.

Leg would be moved up on the frame rail and green part of pic is newly added leg renforcement. Almost like a mini boatside.

So who has had experience with cutting out pinch seams and avoiding the rust and other issues

17. The Following User Says Thank You to 06 H3 For This Useful Post:

Acer4LO (04-15-2018)

a.k.a. "The Jackal"

Thanks
    I forgot to add the pics of my trip to the snow for some snowboarding up in mammoth...

I sometimes ask my self if I should go crazy and buggy it out but then times like these remind me why I still should keep the factory heated seats and an enclosed cab, especially because my other vehicle isn't a 4x4.

and had to play some too...

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 06 H3 For This Useful Post:

Acer4LO (04-15-2018), H3slate (04-15-2018)

Bogger
    Thanks
    2006 H3 Adventure & modified Rancho with SOA

All Terrain
    Thanks
    It looks like it took a jar of Vaseline and a shoehorn to get in that garage ��

Street Tire
    Thanks
    😎, they are gonna start telling folk stories about a black h3 that shows up outta nowhere and puts them all to shame.