• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Virginia Offroad trails??

OIF Marinex3

I have been in Virginia for around 4+ years and I have yet to find good wheeling areas close to Fredericksburg, VA, it seems that every where that is decent is about a 2+ hour drive. is this state this dead in Off-Road areas?

I am originally from Utah, so I guess that I am a bit spoiled having so much BLM (Breau of Land Management)area available to the public. if you are in or close to my area and want to hit some trails after the holidays send me a message any time.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
My daughter use to take her Jeep out in the Warrenton area but I think she use to go on friend's property. I will check with her and see.

kflips

OIF - except for the GW Forest Trails near harrisonburg there is not much - closest is Uwharrie, Rausch creek, some places in WVA and Kentucky like Windrock. Supersapper and others (me included) are beginning to look at some of the GW forest trails but it is a work in progress

guruerror

This might be the same thing that kflips and Art are talking about, but check out George Washington and Jefferson National Forest along the VA and WV border. It's mostly ATV-sized trails, but there are wider ones for larger vehicles. I have yet to encounter anything too difficult but I've only been in the Peters Mill Run/Taskers Gap section.

Here's the Forest Service site: http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/gwj/recreation/ohv/?recid=73539&actid=93

3rdH3

There is a group here at VA Tech in Blackburg. They are the Sinking Creek 4WD Association. They may be able to give you some information. They do wheel a lot in this area and the region. They come here to school from all over so they should be a wealth of knowledge. Here is a link to thier website. www.sc4wda.org.vt.edu/

Here is another club I found that is closer to you. http://www.virginiakrawlers.com/index.php

Last edited:

MtnRsqDawg

Went on a charity run with VA Krawlers back in October, not a very Hummer friendly group of folks. So Supersapper, Absntmnd and myself bailed and did our own thing. That was WAY better.

06PullUouT

I lived in Chesapeake for 9 years so if you ever venture that far south in VA, elbow rd has some pretty decent trails. Just stay away from the power lines! Dominion VA Power gets all pissy if you do!!

kflips

Pictures from Flagpole Knob near Harrisonburg. Not sure the protocol for getting up & down the single lane trails to get to the fun parts but no one was out the morning we went.

IMG_0304.jpg

IMG_0300.jpg

IMG_0312.jpg

IMG_0299.jpg