• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

All our TX members ok?!

M22KLARS

Unsafe At Any Speed
I see a HUMMER in this pic! Hope everyone is alright!

121122015049_Texas%20pileup.jpg

http://www.kare11.com/news/article/999080/396/Massive-pileup-shuts-I-10-in-Texas-2-dead-

SickStringC

Fog. I can only speak for me and my brothers but we are all about 4 hours north of that wreck and are fine.

Yep - fog has been really dense in the mornings recently in the Austin area. That's not far from where I grew up (Houston). East of Houston, it's mostly pine forest. The fog gets really dense and with not much air movement below the canopy of the trees, it just sits there until the sun comes up and the temperature rises. Interstate 10 is also driven in Texas by folks like it's NASCAR. Lots of trucks tailgating one another doing 80mph in the fast lane with lots of egos and slower traffic unwilling to move over for faster traffic. Sadly, in fog like we've had recently, all it takes is one person to make a mistake in that context and a lot of people can be in real trouble. When I drive to / from Austin to Houston, I always take HWY 290 to / from and avoid Interstate 10 altogether. I hope everyone else besides the unfortunate two deaths were not injured, but looking at the photo, that's probably very wishful thinking.

BW_Hummer H3

About 5 minutes away from where I live. Fortunately for my family we went to my grandmother's house for thanksgiving which is east of where that happened. Usually we go to my uncle's house and would have going on that freeway at that time.

Hunner

I have often thought when I get in fog or when burning rice stubble smoke obscures the road, what would I do in the H3. I think I would head for the shoulder and down on to the right of way area when vehicles started stopping or not, behind me and travel forward away from the piling up traffic.
(don't some of you have that thought anyway when driving your H3, like hmmm I could make that embankment?) haha

When I was working and came up on a situation like that I was in a Chevy Van (marked Hwy Dept) and tried that but man was it rough over there from erosion hidden by the grass. I went forward to the first stopped trucks, professional drivers that follow too close to stop 80,000 lb vehicles when something happens were jackknifed. I shot video of the oncoming cars piling into the road block. It was also bad like that in Texas and took many hours to clear.

Hope all you Texas Hummers are ok.