• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Heavy Duty Skid Plate

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
I would like to be able to give a definite answer about the prices but I still need a quote for the powder coating process and discuss having a bunch of these made at one time from my laser cutter. I now know that they will not cost more than $350 + shipping. The skid plates are kind of on the heavy side, weighing in at 50 to 65 pound each, but it is completely worth it. If I can get about 5 or more of you guys to preorder, I might be able to get the price down to something like $250 for the set for a one time only preproduction price. After which the price will go up a bit because I just don't have the financial backing to order these in large quantities. I will offer the option to skip the powder coating, and don't quote me, which could save you approximately $50-75.

Right now we are waiting for me to test these things out this weekend, after which I'll stop by and get a price for the powder coating process and I'll find out the prices based on quantity from the laser cutter.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I love that flat belly design! I still get concerned with heat in CA. I dont want to be killing my trans or t case due to heat. I have a trans temp gauge but nothing for the t case...

Ed's06h3

Put me down as a may be on the non powder coated set. When you test these out & everything works out ( no issues with heat in trans or T-case) I will definitely purchase it...

justin94tt

Like I stated earlier for everyone wanting one of these. This is a solid design, and will be far more superior than the oem UCP. Looks good bolted on.

Rodzlla

This design looks pretty nice. The aluminum may help dissipate heat while driving down the road. If I didn't already have a DOI skid set, I would probably be in line too.

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
This design looks pretty nice. The aluminum may help dissipate heat while driving down the road. If I didn't already have a DOI skid set, I would probably be in line too.

Aluminum was becoming difficult to get the strength I wanted and I had a bunch of people wanting it in steel. Over all I'm pretty happy with the design and look forward to getting a production model in my hands soon.

bebe

UHMW is used all the time on larger rigs - 1/2" is the material of choice out here and in the Ultra 4 rigs.

I have 1/4" Aluminum plate, it's dented in spots, but has not affected anything. It is a lot more expensive right now the UHMW.

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
UHMW is used all the time on larger rigs - 1/2" is the material of choice out here and in the Ultra 4 rigs.

I have 1/4" Aluminum plate, it's dented in spots, but has not affected anything. It is a lot more expensive right now the UHMW.

Cool, got any photo's?

bebe

Any photos of what ? UHMW on a rig?

Here is a 1/2 Inch UHMW skid before it's installed

2a45d935-3419-42d9-8925-fea456cd75b5_zps5c207ad9.jpg

And after

619b5439-722a-421d-b6d3-b9feb5bfc121_zps5b01f14e.jpg

ArtHummer

That looks like a cool staff but is it hard enough to handle the weight of our rigs(like steel)? Will it be able to serve as UCP and not just a dust shield? Also, how are the prices on UHMW?

bebe

Trust me, that's no dust shield, :giggle:

It's very strong and that entire skid was $450.00. Many different options in thickness. 1/2", 3/8", 1". Like I said most of the King of the Hammers Ultra 4 buggies use it because it's tough and it slides. It's cutting board material.

I really don't know what the prices are on raw material, you'd have to shop around, but it's less that aluminum.

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
I might have to look into UHMW again, but for now I'm thinking about selling 5 models for testing to anyone that is willing to pay for them. I have had no problems with these skid plates so far, mud build up isn't a problem at all for me (Doesn't mean you shouldn't still check for it), and would like for some other H3 owners to try them out, with the intention of running them for the foreseeable future.

I hope have the last bit of changes to the original design submitted and pricing for these skid plates within a week or so.

hockeymanam

Hey i would like to have these skids if you could give me a price on them along with maybe a combo with rear shackles and rear shock mounts. Message me the info also it would be too charlotte nc 28274 and also what could you do with sliders thrown in there as well. and none of this needs to powdered coated ..

ALPHA of JONESY

Trust me, that's no dust shield, :giggle:

It's very strong and that entire skid was $450.00. Many different options in thickness. 1/2", 3/8", 1". Like I said most of the King of the Hammers Ultra 4 buggies use it because it's tough and it slides. It's cutting board material.

I really don't know what the prices are on raw material, you'd have to shop around, but it's less that aluminum.

Bebe, I must have missed the info, but could give some more detail about the UCP you have. Who makes it? Ease of installation, etc. Thanks.

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
Hey i would like to have these skids if you could give me a price on them along with maybe a combo with rear shackles and rear shock mounts. Message me the info also it would be too charlotte nc 28274 and also what could you do with sliders thrown in there as well. and none of this needs to powdered coated ..

Ya I could do something. I'm not quite ready to ship the skid plates though, I'll PM you very soon when I finish the design.

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
*Update* - Nutserts won't work for our application

Like the title says, nutserts work do work fine on my Hummer but I ran into some problems. I recently dropped my skid plates and found that one nutsert had become free to spin and another loose, because of which I hope to completely do away with them now. On the positive side of things the skid plate had no build up of mud, rocks, or anything. I went Rock Climbing in Kentucky for a trip and you have to drive down very muddy roads and still nothing was up there. The finally design should block mud even better than my current skid plates too. I'm going to make a piece of metal that goes inside the cross-member with two bolts on either end allowing the skid plate and the chunk of steel to sandwich the cross member. One cross-member will be incredibly easy to line it up and I have no idea on the other one because I haven't looked it over yet.

Stay tuned, I hope to be shipping five test models this month and need orders for these five with-in the next week or two.

Last edited:

soct

If you are still at 250 on the preproduction price, I'll take one.

Spelling and grammar errors brought to you by Tapatalk and Nexus 10.